2013 XM Maintenance Manual Omissions?

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Just wondering if anyone else has looked and the doo manual for maintenance intervals on a 2013 XM.

There's nothing at all in there about cleaning the RAVE valves (not even after 10,000km), does that seem fishy to anyone else?

Also, the spark plug interval is 6000km or 3 years, and says it should only by the dealership. I'm used to replacing mine every year.

Thoughts?

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no I haven't looked. If your going to be cleaning your rave valves you'll need to bring it to a dealership to get the open mid and close position of the rave valves reset once put back in. Also you should be cleaning/checking your reeds as they get fairly dirty once some kms are put on. (no fuel going through the reeds to clean it out) As for spark plugs personal preference id say, I wouldn't go 6000 km

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brp feels plugs for the etec don't require to be changed for 3 years because of how clean the engine runs. They are also an indexed plug that needs to be installed properly to get optimum spark performance in the cylinder. As far as the raves go? Like the other guy said, leave it to the dealer. There are special procedures to get them back together and timed properly. Welcome to the wonderful world of new technology. You can thank our governments for that!

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it seems like are vehicles nowadays, normal guy cant work on them. Other than some adjustments I take mine to dealer if I screw it up could cost me a motor so couple hundred bucks or so every year prevent that.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The raves cycle at startup. If it senses them sticking it will throw a code, so no real reason to mess with them.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Nothing in the manual about cleaning the reeds either. With how high-tech the XM is, I'll just wait for a code I think.... better chance that I'd mess something up trying to do preventive maintenance anyways.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are also an indexed plug that needs to be installed properly to get optimum spark performance in the cylinder.
First I heard of this... Everything I have read says differently.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are indexed plugs. I own the repair manual for the etec. They are very easy to index. The spec will give you 180 degrees on the high side. The arm on the tip of the plug can not be toward the piston it has to be facing up. Easiest way to do this is to mark the arm side with a paint pen and screw it in. The paint mark can be from the left all the way to the right side but never facing down. Any one has trouble just pm me.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also check your plugs as soon as you get your machine, I know some mistakes are made from factory. I pulled my plugs after 1000 km and the spec on them should be 0.028-0.031 and my plugs were sitting at 0.048. The electrode was not burnt down either to give me the off spec reading. Did not effect the drivability but something probably good to check.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are indexed plugs. I own the repair manual for the etec. They are very easy to index. The spec will give you 180 degrees on the high side. The arm on the tip of the plug can not be toward the piston it has to be facing up. Easiest way to do this is to mark the arm side with a paint pen and screw it in. The paint mark can be from the left all the way to the right side but never facing down. Any one has trouble just pm me.

Just be careful that you use a paint pen that doesn't conduct electricity ( Yes some do this ) and do not make the mark to long, I have seen the spark travel down the mark to the base of the plug causing a miss-fire. then a lot of swearing! lol Very funny when it happens to someone else, but not to yourself!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told if they are torqued to spec they are indexed right every time.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes but you just have to make sure the plug is seated properly and make darn sure that electrode arm is within spec

wiffler79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the torq spec cause when threads are made there is only one starting point on the thread.

Jasonc

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. I just bought a spare set of plugs and I had heard a bit about this indexing thing so I was expecting a multiple start thread but the plug were only single start. They end up where they end up when tightened. The only way to adjust this would be with shim washers?

Top Bottom