2013 skidoo xm problem

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

having problem with my 2013 skidoo summit xm 800 etec.

rides fine for a while.no issues,no funny noises.

after 15min or so of riding I get a check engine light only if I go above 6000 rpm.stays on if you are over
6000 rpm goes out if you are under6000.

no power hesitations of any kind and no real noticble issues.

done a bit of research..possible rave wire problem..checked all wires and hoses everything looks normal.

dosnt overheat or anything just a random cel above 6000..

any ideas guys?

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have your exhaust valves ever been cleaned? Might want to have a look at them????

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had that very thing happen to my 08.

I looked closely to the wires on my rave valves.. They were in need of replacement/repair.. It's very subtle. i am sure they rectified this issue since, but you never know.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah I had a good look at the wires and connectors everything looked fine nice and tight no broken wires..confused lol

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how about starting off with what the code is? Had my raves act up a bit first trip to the hills. When I got home I took off the black rave cover and found that the screws holding the sensor in had backed out.

Also, ETEC's are supposed to be pretty good with spark plugs too, lots of them being replaced this year.

Last edited:

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what code it is.it just happened today.im pretty sure brp has to scan it in order to find the code,do they not?

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what code it is.it just happened today.im pretty sure brp has to scan it in order to find the code,do they not?

Nope. Click your high beams on and off a few times then press the M button immediately after that. You will get your code.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll post this again hahaha.

That owners manual actually has some useful information in it.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope. Click your high beams on and off a few times then press the M button immediately after that. You will get your code.
I find holding the M button while clicking the hi/lows works best for me.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The only way you are going to find out why the CEL is coming on and what it meansis to take it to the dealer and hook it to the BUDS. You may find one issue on your own but the ECM can store other issues. Doesn't sound like a high enough RPM for raves to be throwing a CEL. It could be, but the engine management system will protect the sled for various reasons. Could be the pipe/can sensor.

Just getting the code from the ecm won't tell you what the code means.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just did what you said it said no active codes.im leaning towards a grounding issue,maybe bad plugs,or loose wire somewhere

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only way you are going to find out why the CEL is coming on and what it meansis to take it to the dealer and hook it to the BUDS. You may find one issue on your own but the ECM can store other issues. Doesn't sound like a high enough RPM for raves to be throwing a CEL. It could be, but the engine management system will protect the sled for various reasons. Could be the pipe/can sensor.

Just getting the code from the ecm won't tell you what the code means.

I don't have any stored codes just checked..like I said the cel flickers above 6000 rpm then goes away

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue on my 08 XP. Checked the codes, reprogrammed ecm, rave valves, wiring checked it all over numerous times , i installed KOSO dual EGT to monitor EGT just in case and all was well.. Another rider in our group owns the sled now and to this day it randomly flashes CEL over 6200rpm. Mechanics thought the same, we had a ground issue, just never found it..

Hopefully you can find yours.. 08 has 5500km on it now and runs strong, just a false code for some reason..

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue on my 08 XP. Checked the codes, reprogrammed ecm, rave valves, wiring checked it all over numerous times , i installed KOSO dual EGT to monitor EGT just in case and all was well.. Another rider in our group owns the sled now and to this day it randomly flashes CEL over 6200rpm. Mechanics thought the same, we had a ground issue, just never found it..

Hopefully you can find yours.. 08 has 5500km on it now and runs strong, just a false code for some reason..

that's exacty what mine does..

Im thinking bad ground as well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohh the raves can wreak all kinds of havoc below 6000 RPM,
kind of like this.

2013 XM 800 ETEC, P1477

That is clearly displaying a low rpm issue though. His issues are above 6000 rpm, not off idle. I had one that when started the RAVES would open fully at idle, then close at mid range then open again at top rpm. It was the weirdest thing.

Only going off what I have been told of the multi function code checking routine. If there is a CEL it will bring up the code. If there is a hard code stored in the ECM then you may not get a code and require it to be hooked to the BUDS.

The best thing with BUDS is it display's all aspect of the engine management system. Everyone from voltage to average rpm range and every imaginable parameter.

Having a good relationship with your service department is required with etecs.

Top Bottom