2013 Pro Climb M8 Blown Motor

Jeff 2010

Reaction score
Pulled the machine off the sled deck, rode up the 26km trail and the sled ran great. Temp light came on with the ride up on the trail, put down the scratchers and the light went out and never came on after that. Rode for about 3-4 hrs, went to climb a small hill made it a quarter of the way up and lost all power. Got to the bottom of the hill and pulled the side panels off to see if i had snow packed in the motor compartments, No snow! Tried to pull the after about 10 mins of sitting and it was solid. Pull the front right plug on the right cylinder and it was white as a sheet of paper. pulled the front left plug on the left cylinder and it was white as well. Also the gap on the plug was smashed shut.
The machine has 600km and i have not had any issues until now.
Has anyone run into this problem??
I did call Argyll where i bought the machine and they asked if i switch my oil cap with the fuel cap which would cause the oil jug to air lock and score the pistons usually a $1000 fix. I never did switch the caps, so hopefully i can find out why this happened..

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn bro sorry to hear this, hopefully that wont be the excuse to charge u a gnote minus the waranty!!! Keep us posted pls

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plug gap closed is almost exclusively detonation, Bad batch of fuel, or bad sensor or?

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try shaking oil cap. If it doesn't have rattle it could be that.. Heard sometimes the gum up if roll over lots and its some kinda vent for oil tank... It should be warrantied!!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a 13 PC with a boondocker turbo and he sucked the reed screws into his motor which caused the plugs to be smashed shut. I have also heard about the ball in the oil cap sticking and causing the motor to sieze. Warranty!!

Jeff 2010

Reaction score
So I got word back on what kind of damage happened........1 piston, 1 Jug, crank, and reeds. As for what caused this problem, one guy thinks water got into the engine and another guy thinks something just simply broke off inside and caused the motor to blow. What I am thinking is there is a possibility that water entered the engine through the air box and I know 10-15 mins before I did get stuck popsicle stick style for about 10 mins, so that is where I am thinking the water from the air box travelled through and when it got the reeds it just seeped through,(all the fins on the reeds were cracked) this is the only thing I can think of why this happened. If anyone has other possibilities, please feel free to add your opinion. I know the sled ran good and didn't burp until the motor blew. I am just stuck on the fact the sled would not of ran that good with cracked reeds. I know I talked to a couple guys and they said arctic cats factory reeds are crap. Argyll is in contact with Arctic cat right now trying to get a whole new motor. Best case, a whole new motor get dropped in with V-force 3 reeds........worst case, new crank, new jug and piston and a set of V-force 3 reeds. I have to fork out $200 for the other piston, warranty is only going to cover one apparently??

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That seems kinda goofy that warranty would only cover one piston. But yet they say there's possibility of a new motor. Keep us posted on how it all plays out. At least it was near the end of season.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That seems kinda goofy that warranty would only cover one piston. But yet they say there's possibility of a new motor. Keep us posted on how it all plays out. At least it was near the end of season.

Near end of season??? There's two months riding yet!!! We ride to at least May long every year!!!! lol

Jeff 2010

Reaction score
Well a little bit of an update to this glorious situation, Arctic cat is now supplying me a whole new motor which is cool. I haven't heard from the dealership I took it to in 2 months they told me to stop calling them and said they will call me when they hear of anything. Apparently the motor is coming out of eastern united states and no one knows where it is............The sled went in beginning of March 2013 and its July...............Glad this didn't happen last October.................

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well a little bit of an update to this glorious situation, Arctic cat is now supplying me a whole new motor which is cool. I haven't heard from the dealership I took it to in 2 months they told me to stop calling them and said they will call me when they hear of anything. Apparently the motor is coming out of eastern united states and no one knows where it is............The sled went in beginning of March 2013 and its July...............Glad this didn't happen last October.................
Wow that's service eh, what a joke!

HCR800<3

Reaction score
I had my engine in my 2012 M8 blow twice in a month because of this 'oil cap' issue. The first dealer to repair it told me I didn't put oil in and therefore my engine was starved of oil (obviously I put oil in it) causing me to need new pistons, and a head and they didn't do anything about the oil cap said it wasn't the problem and next time this happened it wouldn't be warranty. Sooo 100 kms down the road when it happened again I took it to the dealer I bought the sled from and they drilled a small small hole into the bottom of my oil cap (all warranty) and I went for one last ride and the sled ran great .. Hoping it holds up for me this year but time will tell. I hope you figure yours out as well! Sucks that so many people are having this problem, my friend group alone there is 3 of us that this has happened to. But I also know the changed the oil cap on the 2013's so it could very well be something different.

Jeff 2010

Reaction score
I finally got the sled back from the dealer (August 30, 2013) after I called 6 times to see what the status was on the machine. I eventually called the service manager there and he got everything set up. after that call it still took 3 weeks for them to complete a 4 hr job. I did go with V-force 3 reeds, not sure if I should of went with the rage cage set up instead. I don't know what the differences are. I have 619KM and Cat warrantied the whole motor, so I have a brand new crate motor installed ready to go. Argyll Motorsports was the dealer doing the work and when I dropped off the machine at the beginning of March 2013 for the blown motor they kept saying they didn't have the parts. when really it got into bike season and they didn't want to touch the sled. I did find out that 2 months (May2013) after I dropped off the machine they had the new motor ready to go in. 6 months Argyll had the machine. So that's the latest on this issue.

rockymtnboy

Reaction score
that sucks boys, not tring to rub salt in the wound but there are a couple of good reason to go oil delete kit......

Last edited:
Top Bottom