2013 m800 clutch rubbing on plastics

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i was out this weekend in fernie. there was pretty fluffy new snow stuff that likes to put you on the side of the sled. whenever I tipped over onto clutch side my plastics would rub on my primary clutch and bog down the sled or shut the sled off. just wondering if anyone has fix for it. Thanks. will try and post pictures asap.

Ewaschuk

Reaction score
hey guys, i was out this weekend in fernie. there was pretty fluffy new snow stuff that likes to put you on the side of the sled. whenever I tipped over onto clutch side my plastics would rub on my primary clutch and bog down the sled or shut the sled off. just wondering if anyone has fix for it. Thanks. will try and post pictures asap.

My 13 and my 16 have the rubbing issue. Not much a guy can do about that unless you stiffen up the plastic, but for it to stall out the engine makes no sense to me. I have never had an issue with it rubbing to that point. It should just wear a hole into the pan lol. do you still have all that junk foam on the panel? maybe that's helping it? How deep was the snow? maybe getting into intake? I know I have had that issue where the intake mesh would blind off a bit and it would gasp for breath sort of speak.SLP has a "high flow intake kit that will eliminate the bog in deeper snow.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Putting load on the crank bearings sideways is never good, they're not designed to take load horizontally. I'd be getting concerned of longevity on them if they always have side load.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The clutch hitting the plastics is normal if the sled is laying hard on that side. I think the issue with the sled dying is another issue

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How much fuel was in the tank when this was happening? Maybe the pump was sucking air when it was on edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tank was full. it is for sure from the plastics rubbing on the primary. the snow was about 16 inches deep of fresh snow and a solid base under that. it was only when it was on its side and me not moving as perme falling off the side.It only died twice. All the other times it would just rub so bad it was on the verge of stopping the engine. ill hopefully be going out this weekend adn i will try to take a video of it. Thanks for all the info hopefully it isn't anything else.

stuckhole

Reaction score
Tore the crap out of my side panels on my 12 14 and 15. Never bogged down. I take all the foam out so it doesn't get all over everything. Can't imagine it bogging. Was it sucking snow?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Putting load on the crank bearings sideways is never good, they're not designed to take load horizontally. I'd be getting concerned of longevity on them if they always have side load.

The belt tension has way more pressure horizontally then the plastic would or ever could put in the clutch!

As for the bogging I agree there's another issue with the sled, unless there's a huge hole and snow is getting on the clutch. But even then it would bog but never totally die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The belt tension has way more pressure horizontally then the plastic would or ever could put in the clutch!

As for the bogging I agree there's another issue with the sled, unless there's a huge hole and snow is getting on the clutch. But even then it would bog but never totally die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's vertical load though, it pulls the crank shaft backwards, which puts pressure on the races of the bearings.

If if you rest it on its side it's putting load horizontally on the bearing collars and not the race. I'm sure cat has figured something out for a remedy on this issue, I'm just thinking it loud like a dope.

Top Bottom