2012 Etec Primary clutch Timing marks

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I took apart my Primary clutch on my 2012 and I marked everything for timing. When I got looking at my markings they were different from the factory markings, the notch on the back side of stationary sheave was not lined up to the arrow on the front plate. I also found a punch mark on the lip of the stationary sheave that is in a different spot yet. So I have done a bit of research in the last couple days and I have got a variety of answers, some say that the stationary placement is not critical to timing, some say put it back the way you found it, some say put it to the factory markings, as on assembly it may have been put together wrong, and I looked in the service manual last night and it says to use the notch on the backside of the stationary sheave as the timing mark. So if someone has some good knowledge in this area please let me know you thoughts on this and what you do? I am leaning towards puting it together with the factory arrow on the outer plate alligned to the notch on the back of the stationary sheave.:confused:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There shousld be one on the fixed sheeve, the sliding sheeve and the cap with the guts. Make sure they all line up and you should be good. Who ever took it apart last time did not line it all up.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Owned since new and its the first time its been taken apart, I have low Km so this is the first PM on it and adding a clutch kit. Ya the problem is tho there are 2 markings on the fixed sheave, one on the back side which looks like a notch and the one that is on the top edge of the fixed sheave that looks like a punch mark, so I think I will line it up to the notch on the back side, unless someone gives me a reason not to.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The notch on the back side of the fixed sheave is suppose to line up with a marking on the crankshaft. All other three line up like stated above. 2012 and newer Etech's all have this to help balance the crank shaft. Read about this in a magazine last week.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll try when I get off work, but the notch in the back side is same size as the arrow that is on the outer plate and the notch is the same shape as the arrow head.

So it is this shape: ^ and it is between the sheave and the back gear looking like part ( not sure of the technical name of the gear looking part of the clutch) the service manual references the mark as being on the backside of the stationary and is what all should line up too. I have just never ran into this before so kinda curious, thanks for the input.

image[1].jpeg

Last edited:

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well according to the service manual at the dealership it shows the large cicle lined up with the crank shaft marking, kinda what I was meaning on the initial post, there are aton of different interpretations on what lines up with what.

The notch on the back side of the fixed sheave is suppose to line up with a marking on the crankshaft. All other three line up like stated above. 2012 and newer Etech's all have this to help balance the crank shaft. Read about this in a magazine last week.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So not sure what I did to get the photo there lol, it is pretty hard to see but just above the red line is the notch and its the only one on the stationary.

Vets07

Reaction score
I ran into this when i did my first service on my 12. I originally did not realize the primary was indexed to the crank so i put it back together like you are describing. When i went to re-install my primary i treated it like the 09 that i had previously. Mounted the primary on crank and mark position, started motor measured vibes in handlebars. Removed primary and moved 30 degrees on crank. I did this all the way around the crank and noticed that the lowest vibes occurred when it was 30 degrees counter clockwise from the factory circle on fixed inside sheave and notch on crank that you are describing.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I found this also when my local dealer was kind enough to let me browse through there service manual. So what the service manul showed was a large stamped circle on the outer sheave lined up to the mark on the crank shaft ( there is a large and small circle stamped there the small cirlce indicates as per service manual to where you line up the large arrow on the front plate), so I think I will start with lining that large circle up to the mark on the crank shaft and go from there. I never used to mark the crank shaft on previous sled either. When I took it off also the large circle was not lined up to the mark on the crank shaft. If some one can confirm I read this correctly in the service manual that would be great. I did contact a couple dealers on this and the techs really didnt have an answer for me either and so I tried calling ski doo and they told me the dealer is only allowed to contact them regarding technical questions, kinda stupid I thought.

I ran into this when i did my first service on my 12. I originally did not realize the primary was indexed to the crank so i put it back together like you are describing. When i went to re-install my primary i treated it like the 09 that i had previously. Mounted the primary on crank and mark position, started motor measured vibes in handlebars. Removed primary and moved 30 degrees on crank. I did this all the way around the crank and noticed that the lowest vibes occurred when it was 30 degrees counter clockwise from the factory circle on fixed inside sheave and notch on crank that you are describing.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that takethebounce, I did a search on snow and mud before I started the thread must have missed this one I appreciate the link and the pictures. That was exactly how I understood it from the service manual, all that confused me was that non of these marks were lined up from factory on mine (external marks), so I would recommend that you guys check yours, it's a good excuse to clean your clutch anyways.

Top Bottom