2011-2012 torpy/mcgregor riding season

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just found out tonight that 1 died in a avalanche in the first bowl today. A PG resident. I won't mention a name until it's been confirmed. This really sucks.

Play safe everyone.

Wow. That is terrible. Condolences to those left behind.

Be safe out there- it can happen anywhere, anytime :(

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just devastating news. This is very hard to take. Condolences to the families and friends. Please be safe out there sledding peeps. :(

Ken Self

Reaction score
looking for a group heading out,can haul my own or help with others. Just dont know alotta local riders.... been here all my life though!!!! never been into torpy dont figure going in alone would be my smartest move!!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking for a group heading out,can haul my own or help with others. Just dont know alotta local riders.... been here all my life though!!!! never been into torpy dont figure going in alone would be my smartest move!!

We were out to the Torpy yesterday. No, I absolutely don't think going out there by your self would be a very wise move! The report on our ride......the Pass road is plowed till 24 km. The bridge that was washed out is now fixed. Since we pull a big 4 place we found a small pull out at the 20 km mark and managed to get it turned around there. So.....no where to really turn around for the bigger trailers. :mad:

The Burn was pretty good going up, except the trail was made up going up towards the right side instead of straight up (and we couldn't really see due to the heavy snowfall & fog, we were kinda relying on tracks) ....so we had to climb some darn near vertical stuff and some logs to get back on track. It was snowing quite hard down low and once we were up top, it turned to a very thick ice fog. We didn't dare drop into the first bowl as the visibility was very limited. The snow has a good base however, but def needs more fresh. We didn't probe for depth but all the landmines are pretty well covered except for the windblown places. We ventured back to the third bowl, but the fog was getting thicker so we turned back. Headed to the cabin and played around by the river, found some deep and burned all of that up. The snow was coming down like crazy all day and never let up, so will be sweet playin'! Praying for clear skies and fresh snow next weekend! :)

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were at the burn yesterday, Road is NOT plowed out anymore. have to unload at the camp. rained all the way in but snowing at the burn. broke out the trail up the burn. 3-4 ft of fresh at the top of the burn. Wow is there some snow up there. If you are up there today it will be a easy run in. Blue blazer as well today.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were at the burn yesterday, Road is NOT plowed out anymore. have to unload at the camp. rained all the way in but snowing at the burn. broke out the trail up the burn. 3-4 ft of fresh at the top of the burn. Wow is there some snow up there. If you are up there today it will be a easy run in. Blue blazer as well today.

Thanks for the update on the road plowing situation....was told that Canfor was keeping the road plowed? The parking at the McGregor camp has def more room for the big rigs which we like....but the bumpy ride in to the Burn not so much! Hope the groomer makes an appearance soon!! :)

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
The Pass Lk road is not plowed right now. You park at 1 km on the Pass and ride from there.
The Prince George Snowmobile Club has their groomer at the Burn on the Upper Torpy and groomed out to the Pass.
The groomer was brought in from the Walker Creek Road via the Sandy, so that stretch is groomed as well as the Pass from 42 km down to 28 km.
On Dec 30 there is a ton of snow in the Torpy, so watch out for avy dangers. It is even sliding on spots beside the road.
Here's a big thanks to all the people that bought memberships in the PG Snowmobile Club to make this possible.
When you see another sledder out in the Torpy, ask if they are a supporter or not.
If we can convince a few more free loaders to join the club we can do more. And a big thanks to the volunteer groomer people, you know who you are, thanks.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the grooming update YamaDoo PolCat! I had heard that the groomer was out there, we didn't see it last week (December 27) when we rode out there.....makes sense as to why we didn't see it if it came in from the Sandy.

I agree we need to get more of these free loaders to come on board and buy memberships.....I mean it's a very small price to pay for having a groomed trail and also to keep our riding areas open. Here are some pics from our last trip out to the Torpy. We had a beautiful blue blazer and a foot or more of fresh awaiting us to play in up top! I broke trail up the Burn and it was soooooo SWEET!!:)

Attachments

• DSC_0716.jpg
    DSC_0716.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_0725.jpg
    DSC_0725.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_0727.jpg
    DSC_0727.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC_0788.jpg
    DSC_0788.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 228

Ape

Reaction score
The Pass Lk road is not plowed right now. You park at 1 km on the Pass and ride from there.The Prince George Snowmobile Club has their groomer at the Burn on the Upper Torpy and groomed out to the Pass.The groomer was brought in from the Walker Creek Road via the Sandy, so that stretch is groomed as well as the Pass from 42 km down to 28 km.On Dec 30 there is a ton of snow in the Torpy, so watch out for avy dangers. It is even sliding on spots beside the road.Here's a big thanks to all the people that bought memberships in the PG Snowmobile Club to make this possible.When you see another sledder out in the Torpy, ask if they are a supporter or not. If we can convince a few more free loaders to join the club we can do more. And a big thanks to the volunteer groomer people, you know who you are, thanks.
So let see if this is right. The road is plowed from 28 to 42. But we park at 1 km and ride in the 28 Kms on an un groomed trail and pay for a trail pass so we can ride the 14 Kms into the Torpy from 28 km on groomed trails. How much is a trail pass ?

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
Hey, the Pass Lake Road is not plowed right now, maybe later if Canfor does some more logging off the Pass this winter. Meanwhile our club voluteer is fixing his sled that broke down on the ride out from the Torpy Burn. As soon as his ride is fixed he has volunteered to go back into the Burn and groom out to 0 km on the Pass.

This fall the Pass Lake road was washed out at 28 km, so the PGSC made the decision to haul the Pernoth out to the Walker Creek Road and walk the groomer down the Sandy to get to the Pass Lake Road. At that time the government had no plans to fix that wash out.

From the junction of the Pass and Sandy the groomer came back down the Pass to the Torpy Road and managed to groom into the Burn, about 14 km on the Upper Torpy. Sorry to hear you don't think much about the grooming the PGSC did, but the rest of the riders seem very happy to have that piece of trail flattened out.

There is no trail pass system for the PGSC, but if you want to become a member of the PGSC, and volunteer to start a trail pass system, we'd be interested. Or if you don't want to volunteer to do anything, we'd still be interested in you becoming another member to boost our numbers.

A single membership is $75. You can buy a membership at Yamaha, Polaris or Skidoo, or online at our website. It's that easy.

If you want to ride the Gleason this year you now have a groomed trail from 28km to 42km on the Pass.

Last edited:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the PGSC and the grooming efforts yesterday at the Torpy! We had an awesome, smooth ride out on the Pass Rd....:):):)

What really p***es me off is the people that complain, and happen to know NOTHING of how the PGSC operates....(ummmmm.....trail passes??) buy a membership and then you can voice your opinion!

My family has been members of the PGSC since we moved to town and I try to help out when I can (ie PGSC fb site)....my husband is also on the list to help repair the groomer if needed.....

Just want to give props to the peeps that work tirelessly to keep our riding areas open, and all the behind the scenes stuff that you do.....please know that your work never goes unappreciated! :party:

Ape

Reaction score
Thanks to the PGSC and the grooming efforts yesterday at the Torpy! We had an awesome, smooth ride out on the Pass Rd....:):):)

That is great and good job to those that groomed it out to the parking lot.

What really p***es me off is the people that complain, and happen to know NOTHING of how the PGSC operates....(ummmmm.....trail passes??) buy a membership and then you can voice your opinion!

Don't recall complaining about anything. Asked about trail passes because every club in the area (Mcbride, Wells etc.) have trail passes to help with costs. I was looking for clarification on his post above as it made no sense to me. I hope this holier than thou attitude is not something one would have to deal with if they joined the club.

My family has been members of the PGSC since we moved to town and I try to help out when I can (ie PGSC fb site)....my husband is also on the list to help repair the groomer if needed.....

Bravo for you I will make up some hero cookies and keep them with incase I make it out that way and we meet one day. On a nicer note it is people that can put forth thier time that keep the clubs running bravo for them as well.

:party:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a positive note, the Torpy is an awesome area. I should hope that people that ride this area support our club and buy memberships.....this site is for updates and pics of the area so I will keep it on track. Thank you. Safe sledding!:)

mountainmonster

Reaction score
Anybody make it out last weekend? Just wondering how the snow conditions are below the alpine.

Top Bottom