2010 M8 Broken Piston

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure a few of you seen us pulling this thing out of allen creek. Heres what happened. Does anyone have any idea how this could have happened? Maybe oil stopped pumping to this side for a bit and it leaned out? Im stumped
Also is there any way to drain coolent out of the bottom of the engine without pulling it out. Not sure if it pooled in the crank when i pulled the jugs or if the block got damaged. It smells like its mixed with alot of gas.

Attachments

• DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC00176.jpg
    DSC00176.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC00179.jpg
    DSC00179.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC00180.jpg
    DSC00180.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think oil would have just stopped to one side.But who knows.I would say the piston skirt broke off and ridding a few miles like that causing all that damage.

I would say that coolant is just from pulling the jugs off if you didn't drain the block out before pulling it apart.

If i were you i would pull the motor split the case apart and clean those crank bearings out.There will be chunks of piston in them and in the bottom end....if you just drain the coolant out of there it wont get all the crap out of there.If you dont get all the crap out and put new top end on something may get sucked up and screw up your new top end or mess a crank bearing.Maybe if you flushed it out 100 times with gas but still some will probably get stuck somewhere. Im sure others will chime in on what they think or what to do.

Last edited:

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think oil would have just stopped to one side.But who knows.I would say the piston skirt broke off and ridding a few miles like that causing all that damage.

I would say that coolant is just from pulling the jugs off if you didn't drain the block out before pulling it apart.

If i were you i would pull the motor split the case apart and clean those crank bearings out.There will be chunks of piston in them and in the bottom end....if you just drain the coolant out of there it wont get all the crap out of there.If you dont get all the crap out and put new top end on something may get sucked up and screw up your new top end or mess a crank bearing.Maybe if you flushed it out 100 times with gas but still some will probably get stuck somewhere. Im sure others will chime in on what they think or what to do.
Thanks. Ill do that.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man that sure is a phuckin nice work bench.........smooth, shiny dang you use eddie baurer shirts for rags..............must be nice

That piston just so you know WILL NOT BUFF OUT.........................

oH YA forgot where are the beer cans?????

CatRyder88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man that sure is a phuckin nice work bench.........smooth, shiny dang you use eddie baurer shirts for rags..............must be nice

That piston just so you know WILL NOT BUFF OUT.........................

oH YA forgot where are the beer cans?????

O there will be a bottle of grey goose when its getting put back together.

Top Bottom