2010 Dodge 3500 6.7

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt be afraid of the 6.7L engine, we have way more 5.9L engine failures then the 6.7L, since the 6.7L came out i think we changed maybe 3 injectors on them, on the 5.9L crap its a weekly thing, i would NOT buy another 5.9L over a 6.7 if your looking for reliability. We see all the diesels till 160k or if they already wrecked their warranty.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i didnt buy mine for fuel milage if i wanted fuel milage i would have bought a jetta diesel just saying:d

its not the fuel mileage thing< its the totally plugging up the motor with soot, i have seen them so bad that the grid heater was almost plugged, didnt know how any air got thru it, the egr and dpf is garbage, if you plan on keeping your truck for a long time i would urge you to do something about it, also my engine oil between 5k oil changes is totally clean, i can see right thru the oil on my dipstick, now need i say more?? Im in spruce grove

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sent them and email asking about transmission kits for the 68RFE. I will post any info if they have anything to offer for the late model Dodges. They sure make some cool and cost effective kits for the Allison transmission though!

yeah they do ppe is a nice company they build some sweet stuff for some great prices hope things work out for you on the tranny i'll be doing mine in spring:d

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to your dealer, Im a pipeliner, and my DPF clogged over and over, my dealer allowed me to remove mine along with the 2 cats when the truck had less than 3000km on it, and did NOT void my warranty in any way. I have had almost 3 years of warranty work completed with no issues from the dealer. And yes the delete increased my mileage by 25%, 100,000kms increased it by about another 15%. The 6.7 as mentioned above takes a long time to break in.

nice man thats handy when they say that we if we install the kit warranty it as well it's better that way cause hey we all know these emmissions crap kills our trucks and mileage

jazzman

Reaction score
here is a cleaner pic, it is nice it has not rained for a week around here!

Attachments

• IMG00030-20101104-1039.jpg
    IMG00030-20101104-1039.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 210

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And tying to the front rack?:eek: Really? How much is your machine worth?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt be afraid of the 6.7L engine, we have way more 5.9L engine failures then the 6.7L, since the 6.7L came out i think we changed maybe 3 injectors on them, on the 5.9L crap its a weekly thing, i would NOT buy another 5.9L over a 6.7 if your looking for reliability. We see all the diesels till 160k or if they already wrecked their warranty.

Considering the amount of 5.9's out there compared to 6.7's, even if you seen 10x more problems with the 5.9 it wouldn't mean anything. Per motor I can be assured you are most likely to incur problems with a stock 6.7 then a 5.9 probably 2-3 fold. If you do deletes ASAP, the number I would say is pretty much equal just a tiny bit higher with the 6.7. The emissions is what kills the reliability. And the longer they are on the more damage they are doing.

Plus with these computers, I don't trust them. One day my dad started his 6.7, ran like crap white smoke like a SOB, wouldn't rev over 1000rpm I believe it was. Restarted it like 5 times, etc no change. Had to leave it sit for a day, never did it again. Also randomly died on the highway a couple of times, has restarted each time. But it still scares the hell out of me, I wouldn't dream of taking it out of town.

I don't care about mileage in a 1 ton much either. BUT if another motor has the same power and gets better mileage why not? Ask most longtime Cummins owner if they'd rather have a 5.9 or 6.7 in the new trucks, you won't get that many saying the 6.7s for a multitude of reasons.

My old 04 cummins dually would outpull my dads 07 mega cab 6.7 all day long even with that much less hp, and extra weight. If you need more towing capability there is a lot better things then power, like better gearing and transmission.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
You might want to check out how many 6.7s there are in commercial applications like busses and mid size trucks, and you would be suprised as I was that there are far more than 5.9s you just dont see it in the 'consumer' market till now. The 6.7 has been a proven engine long before many Dodge drivers ever heard about it...

I have had 7 5.9s loved em all, perfect records for service and reliablility, but I wouldnt trade my 6.7 for any of them today. This is my first 6.7 but I will definitly buy another, no fear whatsoever.

jazzman

Reaction score
I am only straping it down on the front rack for backup for the winch really! And I am installing my quad chocks today it took a couple days to get them built. Thanks for you concern.:beer:

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might want to check out how many 6.7s there are in commercial applications like busses and mid size trucks, and you would be suprised as I was that there are far more than 5.9s you just dont see it in the 'consumer' market till now. The 6.7 has been a proven engine long before many Dodge drivers ever heard about it...

I have had 7 5.9s loved em all, perfect records for service and reliablility, but I wouldnt trade my 6.7 for any of them today. This is my first 6.7 but I will definitly buy another, no fear whatsoever.

Same here...I've had a few 5.9 cummins and had no issues either but I love my 6.7 and would never go back...As far as towing goes the 6.7 is far superior and if your 5.9 is out towing your dads then his truck has some issues...And anybody out there towing heavy loads with this truck has to love the exhaust brake.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here...I've had a few 5.9 cummins and had no issues either but I love my 6.7 and would never go back...As far as towing goes the 6.7 is far superior and if your 5.9 is out towing your dads then his truck has some issues...And anybody out there towing heavy loads with this truck has to love the exhaust brake.

Hardly, have you seen the difference towing with a 3:73 and 4:10 ratio makes? It is beyond night and day difference, a lot more difference then a few 20-30hp will make. Just like a SRW and dually. Just like a stick will outpull a auto all day long. Plus I don't know about you, but I got sick of the 6 speed auto while towing. Have to leave it out of tow/haul when I want to keep my neck. I didn't like the 4 speed auto a lot, but i'd rather have it 10 fold over the new 6 speed, it lugs so bad and puts your head in the windshield downshifting for no reason, not because it pulls down hard it just slams into gear.

The 5.9 was in buses, motorhomes, everything for years and years.

Again, a lot of people who just put diesel in and drive it like the 6.7 more, simply because it has more power. But when your doing the maintaince, repairs after a few hundred thousand km's you'll be wishing you had the 5.9 back. The one thing it has going for it is the exhaust brake.

Just like the 12v/24v thing, the 12v is a far superior engine in everyway. But the guys who keep it for a few years and throw diesel into it like the extra power and like the newer 24v.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Ya Cyle, have to agree with 08Summit here...

If you for one second think your 5.9 or ANY 5.9 for that matter will outpull the 6.7, you perhaps have been in a lemon LOL

I am on a trailer every day, and you have never seen people pull trailers where we do...We are averaging 300km a day on pipeline trails and gravel on a military base, pulling huge hills and very crappy terrain. Done it with a 5.9 and now the 6.7 and no comparison at all. 6.7 is the winner!

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i didnt read the whole thing.. but we have at home an 07 6.7l with all the stuff done in my signature. we also have a 2010 3500 mega cab. with 35 on it. and it gets about 700km to a tank right now.. remember that this motor will not brake in tell 30000-50000km. the 07 wiht 120000 on it with the chip turned on 3 and towing a trailer will get about 1100km to a tank. with our with out towing i should add.

i never read this whole thread so this may have been mentioned before.

warranty depending on how well you know the dealer will still work. but if there is a motor issue that is directly related to the egr delete then your Phu*ed. but doing that you have to get a chip as well.. if your going that way. look up that is one of the best tuners and delete kits on the market right (for dodge) now as per friends that run a diesel performance shop in calgary. but yes everyone has there own oppinion.

other thing is look up the cumminsforum.com that place has helped me out alot as well.. just alot more people and there is vendors on there that sell the product that will help you as well.

Last edited:

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats kinda cool. i stuck in there website and it posted there link like it did.. huh weird

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the positive posts about the newer 6.7 CTD engines. Nothing wrong with the old 5.9s but the 6.7s do pull a lot harder. I would not want to go back to a 5.9 after towing with the newer 6.7. After defeating the emission systems on these trucks they perform a lot better on fuel. I am so tired of hearing the 5.9 guys bash the newer 6.7. They always go on about the mods required to "fix" them. The funny thing is that these mods are almost the exact same things that one does when modifying ANY diesel engine.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hardly, have you seen the difference towing with a 3:73 and 4:10 ratio makes? It is beyond night and day difference, a lot more difference then a few 20-30hp will make. Just like a SRW and dually. Just like a stick will outpull a auto all day long. Plus I don't know about you, but I got sick of the 6 speed auto while towing. Have to leave it out of tow/haul when I want to keep my neck. I didn't like the 4 speed auto a lot, but i'd rather have it 10 fold over the new 6 speed, it lugs so bad and puts your head in the windshield downshifting for no reason, not because it pulls down hard it just slams into gear.

The 5.9 was in buses, motorhomes, everything for years and years.

Again, a lot of people who just put diesel in and drive it like the 6.7 more, simply because it has more power. But when your doing the maintaince, repairs after a few hundred thousand km's you'll be wishing you had the 5.9 back. The one thing it has going for it is the exhaust brake.

Just like the 12v/24v thing, the 12v is a far superior engine in everyway. But the guys who keep it for a few years and throw diesel into it like the extra power and like the newer 24v.

Not quite sure what you have been driving but I never seem to have a problem with mine shifting be it with a load or empty...I thought one of the biggest improvements in this truck was the transmission and how smooth it shifts compared to the older ones...just my 2cents but would like to know if anyone else finds the truck shifts real hard?? Maybe I just have a good one?

Top Bottom