2010 D800 163 track ratcheting

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone experience their track ratcheting while braking or while backing out of the throttle, (worse while going down hill)?

It happened to me at about 350 miles from new and it sounded/felt like the sled was about to split in two. Unreal racket/vibration.

My dealer said it was a loose track due to track stretch. OK cool. Adjusted the track to spec and problem solved.
200 miles later and once again the same thing happens.

If this is due to track stretch when is it going to stop stretching? LMAO:rolleyes:

Anyone else seen this?

I've heard it's because the tracks on these things are single ply.

The only time in 20 years I have ever had a track ratchet was when I adjusted my own track on my 99 700 RMK and had it a bit too loose.

Last edited:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My RMK did the same thing last season. It got progressively worse and was pretty bad by spring. I know it wasn't because of ice because it was too warm out to freeze (love spring sledding:d). I adjusted the tension the end of last season. Didn’t have any problems this season, but my RMK has a 2 ply track. The single ply track probably will probably stretch more. I’d say adjust it one more time and you’ll probably be OK.:beer:

t-bomb

Reaction score
Ya my buddy had his 2010 drag out with a 155 on it same thing. My 2010 assault same thing. The funny thing is if it were the track being loose then you would think it would slip on the gas too. I thought it may be the chain case. Any way it is ugly sound for sure. another guy with a brand new drag 163 didn't have it happening (YET).

I have mine at the dealer so I hope they can fix it. It just sounds too bad not to be doing so harm.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya my buddy had his 2010 drag out with a 155 on it same thing. My 2010 assault same thing. The funny thing is if it were the track being loose then you would think it would slip on the gas too. I thought it may be the chain case. Any way it is ugly sound for sure. another guy with a brand new drag 163 didn't have it happening (YET).

I have mine at the dealer so I hope they can fix it. It just sounds too bad not to be doing so harm.

Yes it's strange that it doesn't ratchet while on the throttle hard.
Another thing... When the dealer first had the sled and supposedly adjusted the track, I looked at the rear axle outside bushings. There was no indication that they had moved backwards from the adjustment proceedure. I should have seen a mark where it was originally located to where it was adjusted to in the rail slot that the axle moves for and aft in.

However when I adjusted the tension myself on the trail on Sunday the distance the axle had moved backwards was very visible as seen in this photo. Makes me wonder what the dealer really found?

IMG_0003.jpg

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is caused from your driver icing up on the pto side. Bad design.

There was no ice built up on any of the drivers on either occasion.
Why would the PTO side be worse than the other and what is bad about the design?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had the same thing happen with my 2010 dragon 155. never got the chance to tighten the track and see if it helped.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had the same thing happen with my 2010 dragon 155. never got the chance to tighten the track and see if it helped.

You can check the tension yourself. The owners manual explains how.
10 pounds of weight on inside of track 16 inches forward of the rear axle. 3/8 - 1/2 inch between slider and track clip.

ne1game

Reaction score
my 2010 D8 does the same tightend track went away for know, cant say why it dont do it on excel but helped when i tightend track, sure does kick ass on those XP's thow

t-bomb

Reaction score
Just got a new track put on last weekend. Dumped the competition track for the 5.1 on my assault. was installed a little on the tight side and did ratchet it right off the hop. Once I got used to the decent control not so bad. took me a while to figure it out. There is times when the clutch feels like it opens right up. I think I still need to play with it more to totally figure it out.

The dealer mentioned my chiancase was a lilltle loose so just give that a check too

Top Bottom