2008 M8 sputtering. HELP!!!

cody7thomas

Reaction score
I have a 2008 M8. I currently went ridding and my sled started to sputter. I would still ride and some times it would just click and it would run great. No codes were thrown but a wrench would sometimes be up. I would turn my sled off then start it up again. It would only max out at about 7000 RPMs and it would sputter bad. Then i turned it off again and it would not start. Finally started it and ran it to the trailer. I have it apart right now and i am trying to find out what is wrong. spark plugs are fouled but that is because i ran it while it was not running well. water in fuel is doubtful but i put in some iso-heat. Any one know how to check the ground wire? any other thoughts. Maybe EGV Valves need cleaning but i will check that tomorrow. Please help. Thanks,

kylephilpot

Reaction score
I have a 2008 M8. I currently went ridding and my sled started to sputter. I would still ride and some times it would just click and it would run great. No codes were thrown but a wrench would sometimes be up. I would turn my sled off then start it up again. It would only max out at about 7000 RPMs and it would sputter bad. Then i turned it off again and it would not start. Finally started it and ran it to the trailer. I have it apart right now and i am trying to find out what is wrong. spark plugs are fouled but that is because i ran it while it was not running well. water in fuel is doubtful but i put in some iso-heat. Any one know how to check the ground wire? any other thoughts. Maybe EGV Valves need cleaning but i will check that tomorrow. Please help. Thanks,

I had a similar problem. although mine ran good at teh truck and got worse as i got higher and colder. Once it was chipped reeds and the other i got snow into the nose cone and the barometric pressure tube to the ecm got snow in it and froze up solid. Popped the line off up the mountain blew it out put it back on and away it went. If there are signs of water in it regardless of whether it was the problem or not i would dry it out and locate the end of the tube somewhere it will not collect moisture easily.

cody7thomas

Reaction score
I will have to check that. Thank you. So far i have torn apart my sled. Took off the Gas tank checked the wires under that and have re-adjusted my EGV valves. I think it is a wire grounding out somewhere but i am not sure. any one else have ideas. Before i test the stater ha

kylephilpot

Reaction score
I will have to check that. Thank you. So far i have torn apart my sled. Took off the Gas tank checked the wires under that and have re-adjusted my EGV valves. I think it is a wire grounding out somewhere but i am not sure. any one else have ideas. Before i test the stater ha

Also check that the tail light wiring isnt rubbed through under the tail light mount. Lots of m sleds have had an issue with tail light wiring rubbing and causing all kinds of issues.

cody7thomas

Reaction score
Ok i figured it out. Well sort of. I have traced all wires going from the ECU to the servo. I made sure they were complete and not grounded. I tryed another ECU and servo and a long story short i put my stuff back on and the sled worked. But before that i checked all the plugs on the machine and blew them out and put grease in them. 2 rides now and sled works great. I have learned a lot though. So any questions with problems like this I would be glad to help!!! Cody7thomas@gmail.com

gunnerman

Reaction score
You guys have come across this issue also, so it isn't just me. Mine started acting up back in April, turned out to be a number of issues, 1st there was a couple of bare wires in the harness, 2nd the stator needed to be rewound, both fixed now. During this process i have changed the ground position, completely stripped the sled, and gone through the wiring harness, had the fuel pump in and out 4 times, also tested the fuel pressure, adjusted the exhaust valve cables, changed plugs/caps, checked over the clutches. The motor has 700 miles on a new top end, it is snappy on the bottom end, good all the way through to about 7000 rpm then starts to cut out, it runs fat on the top end. Currently it is at a shop, been on the computer, had some codes, they were cleared, run with a different ECU, Exhaust sensor, new reeds installed and still does it. This sled has a can, and a y pipe, it ran great ,until the initial sputter and subsequent shut down of the engine in April, hopefully the shop finds it, any ideas would help us out with this head scratcher.

Top Bottom