2006 YFZ Buying Risk?

mikol

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 yfz, the seller tells me it hasn't had any past motor issues but I've heard from a few people that these motors aren't reliable, I know in 2007 they inserted a system that sprayed oil underneath the pistons, and I've heard this can be done with the 06 motors. Just wondering if it's a big risk buying a 06 or if there are good ones out there, as well if anyone has done the update, is it very expensive/alot of work. Any input appreciated thanks in advance!

OLE 11

Reaction score
My Buddy has 2006 yzf 250 and he had to do the motor this year...$1800. Sweeked pushrod bearing. He road the Sh!t out of it since 07. Absolutely have to change oil every 10hrs or so......You should just spend another 5k and go new. Im on my 3 bike since 07 and they don't last forever.

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually when a yammy 450 of that generation craters it's the con rod bearing but honestly having owned an 05 and 06 yfz and having lots of friends with them they seem to hold up nicely with very few engine issues. I would say go for it if the machine is in good shape and seems to be maintened. Good luck with the buy if that one doesn't work out Im sure there are lots more on kijiji. Try and find one with an original owner because lots of the dealer loans are just getting paid off and low hour units are looking for new homes with low prices and it's a buyers market right now with winter coming up.

Top Bottom