2006 Polaris 700 RMK 159"

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If he's looking at a Pro the 600's aren't all that bad, they make decent power for a 6, seem to be way more reliable than an 8, and most of the used one's were ridden by people that didn't beat the living sh!t out of them (these people bought 800's). Dad has a 2014 600 Pro and it surprised me, the low end snap is impressive and they still pull fairly hard up top, he goes a lot of the places I go on my turbo just has to pick an easier line, not to mention the fuel economy is great I put in 20L before he even thinks about pouring in his can. I agree going from a 1000 to 600 would be a big jump, but the newer lighter more nimble sled would make it easier.
Sorry...... I do agree about the 600's..... I rode an 08 600 Poo about 4 years ago, and that's when I really started to like the IQ chassis. But I had to spur the little 6 hard, to do what I wanted it to do. That's why I honestly think that the 800 is the magic number. Any 600cc sled is like any 400cc quad. They are the best ever made, and keep going and going.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry...... I do agree about the 600's..... I rode an 08 600 Poo about 4 years ago, and that's when I really started to like the IQ chassis. But I had to spur the little 6 hard, to do what I wanted it to do. That's why I honestly think that the 800 is the magic number. Any 600cc sled is like any 400cc quad. They are the best ever made, and keep going and going.

I agree, but for someone on a budget the 6 poses less risk, nothing worse than buying a sled and having to put a motor in it the next month, and we all know the reputation these 800 Poo motors have...

Besides, people who are unsatisfied with the power of 600, probably aren't going to be satisfied on an 800 either, Polaris makes the strongest 600 and the weakest 800, the difference between the 2 is surprisingly small. Of course if he's looking at another brand this statement is rendered mute.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, but for someone on a budget the 6 poses less risk, nothing worse than buying a sled and having to put a motor in it the next month, and we all know the reputation these 800 Poo motors have...

Besides, people who are unsatisfied with the power of 600, probably aren't going to be satisfied on an 800 either, Polaris makes the strongest 600 and the weakest 800, the difference between the 2 is surprisingly small. Of course if he's looking at another brand this statement is rendered mute.
I have my 2010 800 Dragon, and still the org top end.

Let's leave this thread where it has started.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up this 09 dragon from a guy I know. crank had broke behind the clutch. still ran fine. had a mtntk fix kit in it. I put a new crank in it, gave the cyl's a light hone and re-ringed it. full fox zero pro shock package, full slp exhaust, pcv, new hyfax. nice condition. I want 5 bones for it if your interested.

Attachments

• dragon.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 106

summit1000

Reaction score
I picked up this 09 dragon from a guy I know. crank had broke behind the clutch. still ran fine. had a mtntk fix kit in it. I put a new crank in it, gave the cyl's a light hone and re-ringed it. full fox zero pro shock package, full slp exhaust, pcv, new hyfax. nice condition. I want 5 bones for it if your interested.

That is an extremely nice sled. How many miles on the sled and how many on it since you basically rebuilt it? 155" track?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's over 3000 miles. I will look and post true mileage tomorrow. o miles since I freshened it up and it's a 155 track. wife just told me it has 3264 miles.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep me in mind for fall time as I have a 2012 pro 600 ES rmk 155 that I bought for the wife and daughter and it is not getting used and I might sell it in the fall. I think there is 600 miles. I have driven it twice and what a fun sled, as much bottom end as the pro 800 but looses it on top end. Great sled though!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
I want a 600 pro for the wife in the fall as well as I need a 600 for the semi pro 600 WCHA class this coming season. IMO the 600 is underpowered and although the motors are indestructible and mileage is great I wouldn't even consider one after trying one this season based on that alone but the gf is nervous on my 11 m8 and two 800's doesn't fit for race season I want to be able to run as many classes as possible. I am also 6'2 and 235lbs so that is a lot to do with it and I'm pretty used to the cat 800ho motors. Keep me in mind if you two don't strike a deal though, Backus racing will be helping me source one if not anyway;) good luck in your purchase I think the m chassis 800 is the way to go for reliability handling and power in your priced range but even a 600 pro rmk if in that range would be worth buying sheerly due to better handling than either the dragon or m chassis. The m chassis had a poor skid shock until 11 but nextech does the update for about $300 and you will notice the difference, the 800ho is a great motor in stock form but the non HO is cheaper to turbo as you don't need a replacement head, if you get the m look for a takeoff 2.6 powerclaw it'll be the best bang for your buck mod wise then look at either running boards or eliminators as they hold snow and ice like crazy.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is an extremely nice sled. How many miles on the sled and how many on it since you basically rebuilt it? 155" track?

I had the same sled as that in 08 and loved the ride of it! I had bad luck with mine but wish they had fix kits back then so I could of kept that sled for a fee more years. 5G sounds pretty good for it! And it looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same sled as that in 08 and loved the ride of it! I had bad luck with mine but wish they had fix kits back then so I could of kept that sled for a fee more years. 5G sounds pretty good for it! And it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
loved my 08. 14.0:1 compression out of the box made it a torque monster. I was lucky as mine never cratered and had 2400 miles. was too bad about the crap pistons and shocks because the rest was wicked. I still liked riding it better than my pro.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
loved my 08. 14.0:1 compression out of the box made it a torque monster. I was lucky as mine never cratered and had 2400 miles. was too bad about the crap pistons and shocks because the rest was wicked. I still liked riding it better than my pro.
I'll trade you straight across :D

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll trade you straight across :D
when I sold my 08 that is when I put the update pistons and head on it so it was fresh for the young fella that bought it. he is still riding it. I still have the original head there trashman. some bucks on rk tek pistons, this head, full slp exh, pcv, and a good set of shocks valved to your weight and you have one of the strongest sleds on the snow. blow the dust off that wallet!

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Strongly disagree with this. Maybe its just because the dragons 800 CFI 4 completely ruined Polaris 800s motors reputation for what going on 6 years now? Not a chance would I take a risk on a CFI 4 to find out if its a good one even with a fix kit. If it were me and my price range was $5500 it would be an M8 HO unless a nice low mileage xp was kicking around. None of my friends have had luck with the M1000s either. Just my opinion though. I sold my 09 dragon at 300 miles 2 months old and took a $4000 loss FOR A REASON.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Strongly disagree with this. Maybe its just because the dragons 800 CFI 4 completely ruined Polaris 800s motors reputation for what going on 6 years now? Not a chance would I take a risk on a CFI 4 to find out if its a good one even with a fix kit. If it were me and my price range was $5500 it would be an M8 HO unless a nice low mileage xp was kicking around. None of my friends have had luck with the M1000s either. Just my opinion though. I sold my 09 dragon at 300 miles 2 months old and took a $4000 loss FOR A REASON.

there were so many losses due to piston failures, but so many still enjoy owning there dragons. imho it was night and day compared to the rev chassis, cant say much about the other brands. some got lucky on the stock motor but most didnt, i agree it would be risky without a fix kit installed but with it i would buy one.

on another note the stock cfi4 motors lasted under boost and i have one for sale !!!...

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom