2002 Yamaha YZ250F Help

Ski_X_Doo

Reaction score
Hey guys so yesterday i bought a 2002 Yamaha YZ250F for $300 and it came with a hell load of spare parts. But the motor needs a

pistion - wisco prolight pistion
crank, - yamaha OEM
timing chain, Wisco chain
spark plug - NGK BR10EG
im wondering what is the proper spark plug motorsport.com says its the NGK - BR10EG.
And what is the best oils to run though it. I ride trails and on the track so i want to set up my bike for in between so what sprockets do i put on and what chain. Also what back tire should i put on it cause i think the back tire needs a change I read the Bridgestone M404 is the best for soft/intermedate tearrain wich is the terrain i ride in. And it lasts really long around 7 mounths. I will post pic's of the bike and a list of the spare parts i have. But some help on setting it up would be awsome :D thanks!

Last edited:

HANES347

Reaction score
cr8e is proper spark plug, and yamalube makes a good engine oil or motul 15w50 is what i run, and as for a rear tire it is depending on where u mostly ride

Ski_X_Doo

Reaction score
cr8e is proper spark plug, and yamalube makes a good engine oil or motul 15w50 is what i run, and as for a rear tire it is depending on where u mostly ride

Oh okay thanks man i ride on trails and on the track pretty much even amount of time. The terrain is soft to intermedeate.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Michelin MH3 is a great all around tire, it works everywhere except extreme hard pack. I ran the bridgestone 403/404 combo for a while and it worked pretty well but I found that they don't give a whole lot of warning before they break loose, especially the front. While you have the motor apart you might consider throwing in new valves if it's in your budget. Good insurance against potential failure in the future. As for oil, Motul 300v is hands down the best stuff you can get for that engine...pricey but worth it.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and two things you will definitely want to invest in are a DRD hot start relocator (moves it up to the handlebar) and an exhaust cam with auto decompression to eliminate the TDC finding game (I believe an OEM cam from an '03 will drop right in).

Top Bottom