2001 ski-doo summit

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a 2001 ski-doo summit 800 with a 151. Any likes dislikes of the sled? things to look out for when using etc.
thanks

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a 2001 ski-doo summit 800 with a 151. Any likes dislikes of the sled? things to look out for when using etc.
thanks
2001 800X was my first sled loved it. My wife had a 800 renagade. Mine was piped, ported and boss seat. It also had a drop bracket for the rear suspention. Great sled, but I love my rev, 16inch track works way better for my size.

IMGP0614.jpg
[/IMG]

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride with a guy that has one...great sled. What mods have been done so far and and what kind of riding do you plan to do?

Its been extended to a 151, and has a glass pack on it. Other than that it is all stock. i'm planning on powder riding with some hills thrown in along the way, nothing insanely steep tho

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First mod you should do is add a few inches to the bar height, will make a huge difference on handling if you in the hills.
Sled will run great stock.

Heres a pic of what we did to my bro's o2 700. It has a power madd pivot block and I think a 3 or 4 inch block. Notice how we moved the light switch below. It worked out pretty good. He is a big dirt bike guy thats why he wanted those bars.
Jaredsled.jpg
[/IMG]

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a laxen hood and you`ll drop 50 lbs off the sled. Some better skis too, I had the 2001 151x . It was a good point and shoot sled but it didn`t turn very well, the skis will help some with that.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a laxen hood and you`ll drop 50 lbs off the sled. Some better skis too, I had the 2001 151x . It was a good point and shoot sled but it didn`t turn very well, the skis will help some with that.

I was thinking some SLP powder pros? It doesnt turn good in powder, trails, or?

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the thing I dislike about my older summit is the amout of snow build up you get on the boards when riding powder, if I take it to the hills this year I am going to do something about this problem, I beleive there is a bracket you can get that keeps the integrity of the boards while allowing you to cut holes to allow the snow to clean out better.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i'm not positive on the year but i know that in either 01 or 02 it was available from brp. but the earlier sleds could not be chaged

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the thing I dislike about my older summit is the amout of snow build up you get on the boards when riding powder, if I take it to the hills this year I am going to do something about this problem, I beleive there is a bracket you can get that keeps the integrity of the boards while allowing you to cut holes to allow the snow to clean out better.

They're called Better Boards, snow eliminators, etc. Many brands out there. If you want to drill a few larger holes in your boards, but keep the strength in them, I have a tool that you can borrow that will make the traction bumps in your boards to keep them stiffer after the other holes are drilled. Or you can buy the race sled board braces from ski doo and rivet them in, then drill some holes. PM me if you want to come have a look at it/borrow it. I'm in Calgary.

My boards don't seem to accumulate snow for some reason.......;)

Attachments

• Coolers.JPG
    Coolers.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Sled 2008 001.jpg
    Sled 2008 001.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 137

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think they will still make/have snow eliminators that would fit a 97 summit??

What year is your mod?? I am looking into building/buying a higher seat for my summit, is yours manufactured or home built?? I need to sit higher, do to a bad crash on this summit.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think they will still make/have snow eliminators that would fit a 97 summit??

Yes, if not, you should be able to modify to fit.
What year is your mod?? I am looking into building/buying a higher seat for my summit, is yours manufactured or home built?? I need to sit higher, do to a bad crash on this summit.

LOL! Hard to answer that question. I built it from the ground up, original parts were from an MXZ s-chassis, but the belly pan and tank are basically all that are left from that sled. Tunnel is custom - heat treated and tig welded aluminum tubing, bulkhead is fully TIG welded/gussetted. Mainly custom from the ground up.

Yes the seat is one I made and just had my wife sew a cover for it, total cost is less than $100 for all materials. Really easy to do. There is a thread in this section titled "S-chassis seat mods" near the bottom of the page, it has all the info you need. KORE did a really nice job on his.

You are in Calgary right? You're welcome to come have a look and sit on it, see how it feels, then it would be easier to get a feel for how high you should make yours. I have a couple different set of bars I could drop on if yours are closer to stock seating position than these ones.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks modman! The seat was real easy, pick up some neoprene from a fabric shop, spray glue, staple gun and foam. Done. the snow eliminators are on the agenda for my 97' im curiou:beer:s tho how i can widen the foot board at the same time, any ideas

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its been extended to a 151, and has a glass pack on it. Other than that it is all stock. i'm planning on powder riding with some hills thrown in along the way, nothing insanely steep tho

Glass Pack? Didn't know there was glass pack cans?? Hmm... :cool:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 02 Zx 151, loved it. Powderchowder had an 01 144 and it went everywhere my 02 went and got way better mpg than me. I consistantly ran 1/4 tank more than his.

Top Bottom