2001 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 1000 HORRIBLE FUEL ECONOMY

summit1000

Reaction score
So I just bought a 2001 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat. Absolutely love it. For acceleration and speed it makes my friends Pro RMK look silly. But it guzzels gas. I went for a ride today at about -2*C and it made 28 miles, and burnt through an entire tank of gas!!!!! The Pro RMK that half an hour before it was making look silly, had to tow out the mountain cat. It has an ATACC system, so it shouldn't be an issue with jetting. Anyone know what the issue might be? I'm not expecting great mileage, but I'd think that at least 50 miles on a tank would be reasonable. I wasn't even bagging on it for the most part.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a ZRT 800 I had to drop 5-6 sizes on the jets from what cat said. If you think it works good now wait till you jet it properly.

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 1000 triple for about 12 years. I had an exhaust temp gauge on it. It is great tool to help you tune the carbs. Make sure to sync the carbs and then adjust jetting. You will have to check the spark plug color frequently. Mine never burned much more that a 800 twin if any more at all. They are pretty fuel efficient when tuned in.

summit1000

Reaction score
So, is it best to just drop a jet size, run it for a while, check spark plugs, and keep going until I find the perfect setup?

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is alot of good reading on it like this. http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/ausertech/Jetting%20a%20Sled/Jetting%20a%20sled%20and%20reading%20plugs.htm
Reading piston wash is another way. Changing out the main jets will adjust the 3/4 to WOT. You can also change your clip position on your needles to adjust your midrange burn. Is your sled stock or do you have aftermarket pipes on it etc? Also read up on the atacc here holtzman engineering, inc. I believe your sled should be jetted for the lowest elevation you will ride it. When you go up in elevation the Atacc will compensate. I run a variflow with mine.
IMHO any carbed sled should have an EGT gauge. I know they cost money etc but if it saves you a melted piston it will save you money in the long run. I had a Racepak Avenger III. You could also go with a 4 window digatron. You might be able to find one for sale in the classifieds. I have a 4 window digatron I could sell you but it needs to be sent in to be fixed. Pretty cheap to fix if you are interested. I am away at work right now but if I was home we could meet up for a rip and I could help you out. Is the sticker still on the sled that has your jet size recommendations?

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the airbox if you dont have the chart.

Attachments

• ThundercatAirBox035.jpg
    ThundercatAirBox035.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 157

summit1000

Reaction score
There is alot of good reading on it like this. http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/ausertech/Jetting%20a%20Sled/Jetting%20a%20sled%20and%20reading%20plugs.htm
Reading piston wash is another way. Changing out the main jets will adjust the 3/4 to WOT. You can also change your clip position on your needles to adjust your midrange burn. Is your sled stock or do you have aftermarket pipes on it etc? Also read up on the atacc here holtzman engineering, inc. I believe your sled should be jetted for the lowest elevation you will ride it. When you go up in elevation the Atacc will compensate. I run a variflow with mine.
IMHO any carbed sled should have an EGT gauge. I know they cost money etc but if it saves you a melted piston it will save you money in the long run. I had a Racepak Avenger III. You could also go with a 4 window digatron. You might be able to find one for sale in the classifieds. I have a 4 window digatron I could sell you but it needs to be sent in to be fixed. Pretty cheap to fix if you are interested. I am away at work right now but if I was home we could meet up for a rip and I could help you out. Is the sticker still on the sled that has your jet size recommendations?

It's completely stock except for the ATACC. Stock pipes, airbox, muffler, etc. I'm going to get one of my friends to take a look at it. I went out again today, and I think it is a carb issue. I have a 2000 Polaris Virage TX Watercraft and it is a 3 cylinder with 3 carbs and I know that we had carb issues with it where one carb was jammed wide open. So at WOT it was fine, but the idle was awful and it chugged gas. So I am thinking that maybe one of the carbs on the Mountain Cat are jammed wide open, because it is idling really well, is feeling boggy in the low end and midrange, but when you pin it, it flies!

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your main jets will be the right size. To check that you could find an open field and with care hold her wide open for about 10-20 seconds then let off and hit your kill switch. Come to a stop and check your plugs. They should be a nice light brown / tan colour. It sounds like you could adjust the clip position on your needles. I believe the stock setting is in the middle position. (5 positions on each needle). Be careful not to drop of lose the e-clips or the small white plastic washers that sit below the e-clips. I will send you an electronic shop manual link in a PM. The manuals have helped me out alot in the past.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your main jets will be the right size. To check that you could find an open field and with care hold her wide open for about 10-20 seconds then let off and hit your kill switch. Come to a stop and check your plugs. They should be a nice light brown / tan colour. It sounds like you could adjust the clip position on your needles. I believe the stock setting is in the middle position. (5 positions on each needle). Be careful not to drop of lose the e-clips or the small white plastic washers that sit below the e-clips. I will send you an electronic shop manual link in a PM. The manuals have helped me out alot in the past.

I hated those clips. Called them Jesus clips as when you dropped one there was some choice language to our Lord and saviour.

Top Bottom