2 stroke injector oil?

zachk

Reaction score
I have a 1982 dt 175 mx. What 2 stroke injector oil would do the job? would amsoil synthetic 2 stroke injector oil work? Getting the bike ready for the 2011 XC race season. Also, what weight of oil for the crankcase? My dad said he ran 10w40 in there for the longest time. Any help is appreciated.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
amsoil is great oil, as far as the crank case, all I've ever run is ATF in my dirtbikes.
Change it every couple of rides, it's also real easy to tell if you got any water in the crankcase.....the oil will get "milky"

zachk

Reaction score
amsoil is great oil, as far as the crank case, all i've ever run is atf in my dirtbikes.
Change it every couple of rides, it's also real easy to tell if you got any water in the crankcase.....the oil will get "milky"

atf?

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Automatic transmission fluid. lots of people use it.....lots of people never would. It's one of those things poeple have argued about for years. Personally, I wouldn't use anything but atf, but changing out 795ml of oil after every ride has never been an issue for me. Some people only change oil once a season.
Choice is yours. There is plenty of info out there to argue either decission

zachk

Reaction score
So the crankcase gets its oil when the injector oil and gas mix? does that mean I only have to worry about transmission fluid and the injector oil?

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the crankcase gets its oil when the injector oil and gas mix? does that mean I only have to worry about transmission fluid and the injector oil?

Yes, crankshaft, rod, wrist pin, rings, all get oiled thru the gasoline / 2 stroke oil mixture. The transmission, clutch plates, etc. get lubed with whatever oil you put in there, be it ATF, 10/40, or some heavier gear oil

zachk

Reaction score
Alright, thanks. Another question, not about the oil, but I plan on changing the grips and getting a new throttle tube. Do I need a specific throttle tube to swap it?

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks. Another question, not about the oil, but I plan on changing the grips and getting a new throttle tube. Do I need a specific throttle tube to swap it?
There is no specific throttle tube for handle bars. Metal is better because its more durable, glides better, but is a little more expensive. Plastic tend to break and its not as smooth, but their cheap. On my 1981 kdx 250 my tube is plastic and is broken, and my throttle response is to slow to my liking because my grip is lol... grriping to my handle bars as i twist... For the money go metal tube.

Top Bottom