1997 Polaris Sportsman 500

Sportsman500Rider

Reaction score
Whats the top speed of a 1997 Polaris Sportsman 500? Also are these just as tough and reliable as the 1999s? One more thing are these good in water and mud or will the belt slip?:confused:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it will be only as good as the quads sealing of electrical and engine. that is usually up to the owner. only the way you drive will say if it is reliable or not, drive like a loon, and it may last for a week or so. look after it and you should get some life out of it, what overall shape is the quad in, that may tell you what kind of quad your getting.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top speed is dependent on tire size and weight; 90 -95 (matbe) with factory size and weight tires. My '98 is 100 tops with vampire tires but there is some work done to it.

If you break a rear u-joint, replace the wheel bearing on the same side. I've broken so many rear u-joints that I carry a complete spare shaft and can re/re it in about 3 minutes.

If the belt case is sealed the quad will go deep enough in water to flip upside down before the belt slips. In mud you should be sitting on the skid plate long before the belt slips. I serviced the clutches and changed the belt every 5000 miles and would have about 1 - 1.5mm of belt wear in that time.

Top Bottom