1997 Okanagan Hillclimb

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vernon Hill Climb is about the only thing close to us now. I think it was cancelled last year because of Covid. Our own Maxwell is a competitor every year
Vernon hill climb got moved to Sun peaks and that's where that fella passed away in a crash during the race. 2019. Last hill climb event held in BC.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vernon hill climb got moved to Sun peaks and that's where that fella passed away in a crash during the race. 2019. Last hill climb event held in BC.
And that is truly a shame ! Now we get to watch video after boring video of guys doing “technical “ riding ,thru the trees , hour after hour of same old same old. I finally figured out the reason for the high volume music , is just to keep you awake after another thrilling tree riding demonstration !!!!
Kinda like the whole world I guess, we Are soon gonna be so safe and protected , by mandate or law , we’ll have to wear a helmet while driving your friggen car.
Loved climbing ( safely ) and still love watchin the videos. lots Of guys now talkin the talk , and then “tech-ing thru the forest 🙄

Last edited:

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that is truly a shame ! Now we get to watch video after boring video of guys doing “technical “ riding , hour after hour of same old same old. I finally figured out the reason for the high volume music , is just to keep you awake after another thrilling tree riding demonstration !!!!
Kinda like the whole world I guess, we Are soon gonna be so safe and protected , by mandate or law , we’ll have to wear a helmet while driving your friggen car.
Loved climbing ( safely ) and still love watchin the videos. lots Of guys now talkin the talk , and then “tech-ing thru the forest 🙄
see the driverless rACE going on today....boooooring

X-rated

Reaction score
Hillclimb vid was cool, love the sound of those old trips!! What’s the speculation on how a brand new outta the box Doo or Poo 850 long track would do on this hill? Suspension being what it is, I would assume they would cruise over the top with an average rider?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I went and watched a few years ago and Maxwell made it look so easy I was ready to give it a go.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hillclimb vid was cool, love the sound of those old trips!! What’s the speculation on how a brand new outta the box Doo or Poo 850 long track would do on this hill? Suspension being what it is, I would assume they would cruise over the top with an average rider?
The new sleds would handle it really well, this hill wasn't as aggressive as Barkerville or some of the others, it was a ski hill so really packed down and slippery. New sleds would likely be able to post times close to the best improved stock sleds from back then or even some of the open class stuff. Lots of the BCSF competitions were held out in the mountains (not a ski hill like this), and lots of those climbs in the backcountry were "who got the highmark" style, just a big ass open hill. "Stock to stock", the new stuff would have done really well in those highmark runs, they are just that good now. You gotta think.... tracks alone - back then 1 1/2" tracks were stock. What we have now is double. Compared to most of the new sleds, the old open mod stuff would still probably be able to beat up on the new iron but thats like trying to compare a top fuel dragster and a Hellcat.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I raced in Tumbler in the early 2000's, that was a good pull since it was a slalom course to the base of the hill then straight up. Thats where I met Ried Hedlund, Mike Irmen and others. Greg Morton took me on as a charity case and hauled me and my sled. I was a poor back then as I worked in the dealership as an under paid shop forman. Those were the days.

Top Bottom