1997 Formula S 380

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am helping a buddy out with this sled that he just picked up for is boy. It was running on primer only so I have gone through the carbs and cleaned everything up but now it runs at really high idle to the point that it crawls along when started. I back out the slide adjustment screws in 1/2 turn increments on each but it would not drop the RPM's. So now I am thinking the slide height needs to be checked.

I have a 97 shop Manual but it does not list any info regarding the 380 carb spec's. Would anybody be able to post this info up? Or any other ideas what to look at?

Thanks,

Warren

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lied.......I have a 99 shop manual, hence the reason for no 380 info..

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sonds like the throttle cable is to short there should be a adjustment on it some where for that.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the spec. That I am looking for, the slide height specification.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You won't find a spec for that.
What you want to do is remove the airbox and leave the carbs in place. Loosen the lock nuts on the throttle cable adjuster for each carb. Back the idle screws out on each carb all the way so they don't contact the slides. Turn the throttle cable adjusters so that the slide valves drop down in the carburetor bore. Now take a drill bit and slide it under the cutaway of the carb. I usually use a 3/16" bit but that is on a 600 engine. You might want to try a 5/32" seeing as how this is a 380 engine. Adjust the throttle cable adjuster until you can just feel a slight drag on the drill bit. Tighten the lock nut temporarily. Do the other carb the same way. Now go up one size of drill bit (11/64") and adjust the idle screw for each carb so you can feel a slight drag under the slide valve. This synchronizes the two carbs. Now start the engine and adjust each idle screw equally to obtain the proper idle speed. When that is done you can adjust the throttle cable adjusters equally so that you get about .010" to .020" of gap between the back of the throttle lever and the throttle lever block on the handlebars.

Top Bottom