146 or 154??? asap

dmac101

Reaction score
buying a sled on wednesday a 2013 summit. i can't decide what length to get. live in saskatchewan so no mountains. but going to be making a minimum of 2 trips a year to the mountains. i know for around here the 146 would be better. but would i be happy with it when i go to the mountains? or shovelling the whole time? i know the 154 would be sweet there, but for around here i might be burning up some slider. what one do i want?? also i am 6'2 and 230 pounds, if i was smaller id probably go 146 no questions. but since I'm a bigger guy is the 154 what i want please help.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buying a sled on wednesday a 2013 summit. i can't decide what length to get. live in saskatchewan so no mountains. but going to be making a minimum of 2 trips a year to the mountains. i know for around here the 146 would be better. but would i be happy with it when i go to the mountains? or shovelling the whole time? i know the 154 would be sweet there, but for around here i might be burning up some slider. what one do i want?? also i am 6'2 and 230 pounds, if i was smaller id probably go 146 no questions. but since I'm a bigger guy is the 154 what i want please help.

Thats a tough one. A 146 will still perform in the mountains. On a bottomless fresh pow day, both a 154 and 146 are going to wish they were 163's.

A 146 will do well, just have to keep it pinned. They tend to stand up on end when climbing as well. If they come with 2.5" tracks that is going to be harder on the sliders than the length of the track. Scratchers required for trail use.

If %95 of your riding is trail, then the 146. The two trips you do to the mountains each year will still be enjoyable. If everyone you ride with runs 154's or longer that is also something to consider. You might have to poach their tracks in the deep.

If you are not experienced in mountain riding, whether you are on a 146 or 154 isn't going to matter much and riding twice a year isn't going to hone your skills.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're a big boy, you will appreciate the longer track in the mountains for sure and you wont notice much difference in handling when you are back in Sask.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both sleds have a 2.5 lug track. They will burn sliders pretty much the same. Get the 154.

Pwdrh0r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All in on a 154. You will not notice the difference in the fields but will notice it quite a bit in the hills!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
154 all the way. you will hate life if one of your trips turns out to be 3-4 feet of fresh snow and you can't hardly go anywhere without getting stuck.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well not sure where in Sask you ride, but if its up north where the snow can be waist deep and untouched by the wind i would go with the 154. Had a 10 Summit 154 and im your size as well and i was happy with the longer track. Granted i usually see the mountians Alot more than 2 times a year.
And with the new FLICKABILITY of the Plummit the 154 should feel like a 121.

dmac101

Reaction score
wow first time on forum, and got like 10 replies in 30 mins. love it thanks guys. ya i got a couple buddys that run 153 m8 and other a 155 rmk pro, so i shouldn't have any more problems than they do should i? with the 16 inch wide track would it? i live in archerwill so we get a bit of snow

dmac101

Reaction score
will their be much difference between a 146 and 154 when pinning the sled and digging down into the dirt?

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Depends on your riding style. Even when I ride in saskatchewan I need the longer track for what I like to do in the creek banks.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it depends what you are doing in Saskatchewan for riding. If you are riding lots of trail, ride aggressive and jumping or something like that i would go the 146. The 146 will hold its own in the mountains if you ride it aggressive. I rode a 146 for 2 seasons and don't remember ever being outdone. Don't get me wrong i ride 163 now and would never go back but we ride deep pow prob 80% of the time and are always breaking trail. If you like to explore off trail and start and stop in a fresh track then the 154 for sure.

The other consideration and i speak from personal experience...a 146 is a tougher sell for resale. As you can see by the earlier responses most people are anti 146 haha so when you go sell it you are going to cut out a big part of the market. If on the fence, all things considered, go longer. Buy for what makes sense for the type of riding you are doing 80-90% of your time when in Sask.

Last edited:

Meyer907

Reaction score
Here is my .02, had a 146 sold it, rode a 155 sold it to buy a left over 146 when there were plenty of larger options available. We have very little trail so most time is off the trail. Point is when had my old 146 I never found my self wishing i wanted 154 the 155 just landed in my lap and had way less miles and I missed the 146.

dmac101

Reaction score
can you ramp approaches and such on a 154 or will it be hard on the long tunnel? the 146 be better for jumping approaches. i am still on the fence can not decide, the 146 would definitely be better around home i think but when i do make the mountain trips, with my weight and such on the 146 i think I'm going to be wishing i had the longer one. and at home again i would like to be able to hit the odd approach and drifts in fields. what you think?? again sorry for being so indecisive

Top Bottom