13 Flash not a benefit

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the print out we got when picking up the sled. Now one would think if the rave valves aren't making it to the close position that they may need a cleaning? Or at least pull them out to have a look? Either way the dealer didn't do this, even though the parts guy and service manager agreed that they may be dirty and sticking....and that is something to look into. Haha.

Went out riding on Saturday for 3-4 hours put on around 45 miles and the sled ran worse than before. Check engine light stayed on most of the ride this time, before you could make a few passes up and down the field at WOT and it would clear. Sled was bogging, coughing, lacking power above 6500, and when stopped and reving it up between idle and engagement it would back fire.

Have not heard back from the dealer yet on what the new codes are. All this started after the dealer cleaned the clutches and reflashed the ECM. We were going to tear the rave valves out ourselves to clean and inspect but read threw the shop manual and noticed they need to be recalibrated afterwards. I don't have an aftermarket BUDS system quite yet so we drank beer and watched footage from the day.

Soooo anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my Shoe Phone
Raves outa sync or not working at all. Tps adjustment. And few other things to get my 2014 sleds working again both **** the bed around 400 km. freeride and xm

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mk4 you should remind Dan that even though an etec sounds like a diesel at idle, it ain't a diesel, so no need to leave it idling half the day. LOL.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mk4 you should remind Dan that even though an etec sounds like a diesel at idle, it ain't a diesel, so no need to leave it idling half the day. LOL.

Hahahaha yeah no kidding, damn farmers.

Well sled had to codes this time around, P1477 - RAVE closed position not reached and P1476 - RAVE mid position not reached. So the dealer actually pulled the raves put and cleaned everything up. The tech said they weren't dirty at all, but cleaned them anyways and all connections. He also vacuum tested everything, recalibrated the raves and ran them through their cycles.

He then took the sled for a 40 minute ride and didn't have any codes come up. My friend took it out for a bag last night and despite having a few really weird/aggressive bogs (threw him over the bars, onto the hood type) he couldn't get it to duplicate the previous issues. The snow is pretty terrible though so he may not be able to load it up good enough to make the engine really work.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well sled had to codes this time around, P1477 - RAVE closed position not reached and P1476 - RAVE mid position not reached. So the dealer actually pulled the raves put and cleaned everything up. The tech said they weren't dirty at all, but cleaned them anyways and all connections. He also vacuum tested everything, recalibrated the raves and ran them through their cycles.

He then took the sled for a 40 minute ride and didn't have any codes come up. My friend took it out for a bag last night and despite having a few really weird/aggressive bogs (threw him over the bars, onto the hood type) he couldn't get it to duplicate the previous issues. The snow is pretty terrible though so he may not be able to load it up good enough to make the engine really work.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

Those weird bogs that make u fly off the sled is your rev limiter sensor. Ask how I found that out.lol Click 3 on my xm down low and playing on the sides of the trail. It interrupted the sled when I pinned it while standing on the left side. I went flying forward cartwheeling. Pretty crazy the sled knows its about out to super scream and backs off right away.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is hitting a rev limiter or rev increase rate limiter when he pins it, that would be a reason to put in a clutch kit.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahah, well he did mention he jammed on it to get her to cat walk threw a snow drift, his plan didn't quite end that way though. Yes Adam he's thinking bout doing the sea level kit, I'm trying to persuade him into a RB or Mad Motorsports.

Last edited:

SUPERDUTY

Reaction score
Those weird bogs that make u fly off the sled is your rev limiter sensor. Ask how I found that out.lol Click 3 on my xm down low and playing on the sides of the trail. It interrupted the sled when I pinned it while standing on the left side. I went flying forward cartwheeling. Pretty crazy the sled knows its about out to super scream and backs off right away.

How bout at elevation thou? following this post mine has a hesitation also , even at elev. it seems to be from 1/4 throttle to wide open. clickers on setting 4.its been running excellent for the first 1000 miles but now. I have been reading about this problem , there seems to be different responses from spark plugs,Rave out of adjustment,cans,clutching. I know the update didn't do anything.guys have tried the stock can without results. Still puzzled.

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Shoe Phone

Well an update on my friends '13 summit Sp. Spent the last 3 days in Blue River. Monday it ran fine until we stopped around 5500' to adjust the clickers. Fired it back up and headed up threw a cut block, he barely made it to the top. Had no bottom end or midrange, hold it to the bar and it would cough and back fire for a bit then would pull full RPM. Come off the throttle and it would start coughing and missing again. Threw P1477 again. Called the dealer which wasn't any help, let the sled sit for 25 ish minutes. Started it back up, no code and didn't throw one for the rest of the day and we worked the chit outa it in the cut block.

Tuesday, same thing. Unloaded in the parking lot, rode up top and stopped to bullchit with the group we were meeting. 6000' started the sled up after a couple minutes and all the sane symptoms, P1477 again . He let the sled sit for 20 ish, started it up and away she went didn't miss another beat all day. Other than taking 4-5 pulls to start.

Wednesday, woke up to a foot of snow on the truck. Ran fine from the parking lot to the top at about 6200'. Stopped for a little break and to make a plan of attack, ran about 5 minutes before throwing 1477 again. Shut it down for a good 30 minutes and this time it didn't really clear up. Also when shutting the sled off with the code being active it usually took 5-6 pulls to start it.

Stopped in at Martin's to see if they had heard of anything like this, they scanned it and checked the TPS... the sled threw P1477 fifteen times in 3 days, 13 of them being from Wednesday. TPS registered 93% and is supposed to be at least 95%. Wednesday was the warmest temps we rode in, fluctuating around 0. Tuesday got up as high as 7100'....

Open to any suggestions.....to us it sounds, feels like it's jetted way to fat. The way it bogs, the cloud of exhaust when taking off, the smell of unburnt fuel following behind him when he is in lower RPM. Basically it just falls on its face in the bottom end and mid range. When it finnally opens up, she makes all the RPM you want. Will stay pegged at 78-7900 once it gets there.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they not dissasemble the raves to see if something was hanging up? Symptoms almost sound like sticky raves to me and the codes may support that.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bit off topic but how did you read the code 1477 off the cluster?

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they not dissasemble the raves to see if something was hanging up? Symptoms almost sound like sticky raves to me and the codes may support that.

Yes they did , the second time it went in after the update, they changed the plugs the first time. The tech stated the raves weren't dirty but gave them a thorough cleaning anyways , recalibrated, pressure check and vacuum check and everything was in spec.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When you have an active code... (Check engine light is on) press and hold 'M' on your gauges for a couple seconds, then press the Hi/Low headlight button a bunch while still holding the 'M'.. It will scroll across the lower part of your display.

Best I can explain it, if you look in your owners manual at the end of the cluster section I think where it tells you about what light means what. It tells you how to do it. It just gives you the code though, not what it actually means.

If you don't have a code it just comes up and says ' NO ACTIVE P CODES'

Sent from my Shoe Phone

Last edited:

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, reason I asked was I had my gauge flash engine after a pull up a hill. It sputtered and died. It started back up and never happened again for the remainder of two days. Other than that the flash has been good for mine.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, reason I asked was I had my gauge flash engine after a pull up a hill. It sputtered and died. It started back up and never happened again for the remainder of two days. Other than that the flash has been good for mine.

Yeah I had the same thing, minus it dieing, ironically it was the same 1477 code haha. Engine light was on for all of a minute before going out on its own and didn't come back all week.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'll bring this one back up to the top. So we took the sled back into the dealer they contacted BRP service tech or what ever it is that they call it. BRP told them to only change the "pressure manifold" for the rave valves. We went out for a good bag this evening afterwork and it took about 2 hours but we made the code come up again. P1477 Rave valve closed position not reached. Ran like a bag of chit on the way back to the truck if you were putting along. Hold it to the bar and no problem, full rpm and haul ass. Roll up to the trailer and its barking and back firing like crazy, back fires real hard when in reverse too. Managed to grab a little video of it to hopefully help the tech out cause they can never get the symptoms at the dealer which is usually the way it goes with anything.

Let it sit at idle for a few moments then rev it up to 3000 ish rpm and bang, back fires... Who Needs a 2015 when your '13 shoots flames out the bottom end haha.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'll bring this one back up to the top. So we took the sled back into the dealer they contacted BRP service tech or what ever it is that they call it. BRP told them to only change the "pressure manifold" for the rave valves. We went out for a good bag this evening afterwork and it took about 2 hours but we made the code come up again. P1477 Rave valve closed position not reached. Ran like a bag of chit on the way back to the truck if you were putting along. Hold it to the bar and no problem, full rpm and haul ass. Roll up to the trailer and its barking and back firing like crazy, back fires real hard when in reverse to. Managed to grab a little video of it too. Let it sit at idle for a few moments then rev it up to 3000 ish rpm and bang, back fires... Who Needs a 2015 when your '13 shoots flames out the bottom end haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hQTBBS3V0w
Tell your dealer to go to Bossweb to the Community section. There has been some talk about that problem if memory serves me correct. I'm pretty sure that is the problem code. Just can't remember for sure right now.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell your dealer to go to Bossweb to the Community section. There has been some talk about that problem if memory serves me correct. I'm pretty sure that is the problem code. Just can't remember for sure right now.

Thanks snopro, I will mention it to them tomorrow morning when I drop it back off.

Last edited:

d.d123rock

Reaction score
Website
abnb.me
Well an update on my friends '13 summit Sp. Spent the last 3 days in Blue River. Monday it ran fine until we stopped around 5500' to adjust the clickers. Fired it back up and headed up threw a cut block, he barely made it to the top. Had no bottom end or midrange, hold it to the bar and it would cough and back fire for a bit then would pull full RPM. Come off the throttle and it would start coughing and missing again. Threw P1477 again. Called the dealer which wasn't any help, let the sled sit for 25 ish minutes. Started it back up, no code and didn't throw one for the rest of the day and we worked the chit outa it in the cut block.

Tuesday, same thing. Unloaded in the parking lot, rode up top and stopped to bullchit with the group we were meeting. 6000' started the sled up after a couple minutes and all the sane symptoms, P1477 again . He let the sled sit for 20 ish, started it up and away she went didn't miss another beat all day. Other than taking 4-5 pulls to start.

Wednesday, woke up to a foot of snow on the truck. Ran fine from the parking lot to the top at about 6200'. Stopped for a little break and to make a plan of attack, ran about 5 minutes before throwing 1477 again. Shut it down for a good 30 minutes and this time it didn't really clear up. Also when shutting the sled off with the code being active it usually took 5-6 pulls to start it.

Stopped in at Martin's to see if they had heard of anything like this, they scanned it and checked the TPS... the sled threw P1477 fifteen times in 3 days, 13 of them being from Wednesday. TPS registered 93% and is supposed to be at least 95%. Wednesday was the warmest temps we rode in, fluctuating around 0. Tuesday got up as high as 7100'....

Open to any suggestions.....to us it sounds, feels like it's jetted way to fat. The way it bogs, the cloud of exhaust when taking off, the smell of unburnt fuel following behind him when he is in lower RPM. Basically it just falls on its face in the bottom end and mid range. When it finnally opens up, she makes all the RPM you want. Will stay pegged at 78-7900 once it gets there.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

I have a 2014 sp I am having the same problem, rtr found a hose disconnected and said it's all fixed up. Well today it did the same thing again, got stuck at 6000 rpm, ran rough and back fired, then through the 1477 code. Once we reached the alpine I angrily rat baged it and it eventually went away. It reached 7900rpm and rode fine. I rode it back to blue and called the dealer, said to bring it in again, wondering if they should replace the whole rave setup or what. It ran fine all last season it only has 1800 km on the engine. From all the different threads this seems to be a common problem Its going in the shop again under warranty give me advice if you've had this problem

Last edited:

d.d123rock

Reaction score
Website
abnb.me
I have a 2014 sp I am having the same problem, rtr found a hose disconnected and said it's all fixed up. Well today it did the same thing again, got stuck at 6000 rpm, ran rough and back fired, then through the 1477 code. I angrily rat baged it and it eventually went away. Its going in the shop again under warranty.

Press the m button above the display for two seconds while pushing the hi and low beam button on and off.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like a very similar situation. Dealer cleaned the rave valves about 8 times, replaced all sensors and solenoids associated with the raves and it never fixed a damn thing. They absolutely refused to believe it was the flash but that was the one thing they didn't change.

The dealer ended up giving him good trade value on his '13 for a '15 X. Ironically enough, on the second ride his '15 started making the same sounds, he pulled up to a stop feathered the throttle and it started to backfire..... But didn't throw a code.. Hasn't done it since though.

Only other thing I can think of after it happened with the '15 is that every time they scanned his it was accidentally put back into break in mode. The '13 cluster doesn't have the count down feature like the 14/15's do.

Here's that video again.... Can't edit my old post.

http://youtu.be/tjDLjzjiPK0

Top Bottom