1000 km ride report

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off i will let you know exactly what im working with.
2016 Axys SKS, 155x2.6, Mid rise bars, Sly Dog ski's, sway bar removed, walker evans piggy back shocks.

At first i was not a fan of the sled after 3 years on XM chassis' But after a few rides i started to get a good feel for the sled. I am going to make a list of the likes and dislikes in point form.

Likes;
Power is solid throughout.
Clutching works well.
Narrow body allows for much steeper sidehills than the XM allowed.
Trail mannners are just ok but i assume the sway bar removal has something to do with that.
Deep deep pow performance is almost perfect, had a few hiccups here and there.
Fuel economy is good, 70 miles and no need to touch spare fuel.
Headlights are nice and bright.

Dislikes;
Sucks oil back worse than my '11 Cat (4 riding days per jug)
Suspension is crap, rebounds way too fast and feels like i am riding a pogo stick.
Hand warmer settings are too limited for some days.
Ice builds up behind throttle causing high idle on deep days.
Grips hold ice easily.
'Goggle warmer' compartment has a crap latch and doesn't seal well.

I have heard and read lots about the A arms being weak, i have hit two stumps hard enough to blow me over the bars and they are still looking great. Hoping it keeps ticking along for me how it has been. I am going to get the suspension revalved most likely. I was spoiled after riding Exit shocks for a few seasons. Also i am going to get some frog skinz to cover the larger holes once they release their product for the axys. I think i have most things covered, i will add them as they come up.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta ask what made u make the switch from a xm to a axys? Just curious I'm thinking of switching from the xm to something else

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made the seitch this year too, old because, I tried a buddies pro for half a day. Got back on the doo, and it felt funny weird, even after riding the same sled for 3 years. So i thought maybe the poo was just a natural fit. So far so good, really starting to like mine.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off i will let you know exactly what im working with.
2016 Axys SKS, 155x2.6, Mid rise bars, Sly Dog ski's, sway bar removed, walker evans piggy back shocks.

At first i was not a fan of the sled after 3 years on XM chassis' But after a few rides i started to get a good feel for the sled. I am going to make a list of the likes and dislikes in point form.

Likes;
Power is solid throughout.
Clutching works well.
Narrow body allows for much steeper sidehills than the XM allowed.
Trail mannners are just ok but i assume the sway bar removal has something to do with that.
Deep deep pow performance is almost perfect, had a few hiccups here and there.
Fuel economy is good, 70 miles and no need to touch spare fuel.
Headlights are nice and bright.

Dislikes;
Sucks oil back worse than my '11 Cat (4 riding days per jug)
Suspension is crap, rebounds way too fast and feels like i am riding a pogo stick.
Hand warmer settings are too limited for some days.
Ice builds up behind throttle causing high idle on deep days.
Grips hold ice easily.
'Goggle warmer' compartment has a crap latch and doesn't seal well.

I have heard and read lots about the A arms being weak, i have hit two stumps hard enough to blow me over the bars and they are still looking great. Hoping it keeps ticking along for me how it has been. I am going to get the suspension revalved most likely. I was spoiled after riding Exit shocks for a few seasons. Also i am going to get some frog skinz to cover the larger holes once they release their product for the axys. I think i have most things covered, i will add them as they come up.

IAgree with you on the suspension. I had enzo on my doo, this stock setup does not work for my fat azz!

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta ask what made u make the switch from a xm to a axys? Just curious I'm thinking of switching from the xm to something else

I get a new machine every year and after have a 13, 14 and 15 XM i was looking for a bit of a breath of fresh air so to speak. I am not brand loyal at all, my fav sled is the one that gets me up and down the mountain with no issues. Will i buy another Poo next year?? Well, the jury is still out on that. haha

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually get a new one every year as well and, two years ago was a pro rmk 162 and last year's was a hcr. Went to my local dealer 3 times to buy a doo in the fall and left my card and no one called or emailed or nothing. Bought a 16 m8000 limited from the guys at Northgate. Those guys went above and beyond to get me what I wanted since I didn't snow check and always take care of me. Big fan of that new 16 suspension. Don't like the over fueling at startup but really like the sled and the dealer I bought it from

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get a new machine every year and after have a 13, 14 and 15 XM i was looking for a bit of a breath of fresh air so to speak. I am not brand loyal at all, my fav sled is the one that gets me up and down the mountain with no issues. Will i buy another Poo next year?? Well, the jury is still out on that. haha
So are u unsure if you like it enough to keep on that chasis or are u considering going back to the doo

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are u unsure if you like it enough to keep on that chasis or are u considering going back to the doo

Basically my plan is to see what is offered next year, if Doo is close to the same then most likely another Axys, maybe a Cat tho too. If Doo does what i expect and come out with something different then ill give that sled a try.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks rad dude. I'm curious to try one out but I'm just not sure if I got it in me to switch from my xms

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode one for a short time. Wasent impressed on how they got on top of the snow compared to my XM. The axxys just chainsawed through the snow where I know my XM would of gotten on top. Probably due to the 16"track. Power and clutching was good on it. Steering felt off but I am sure I would get used to the flat steering. Just not sure I want to spend 15k on a sled I have to get used to or keep riding Doo that feels natural to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode one for a short time. Wasent impressed on how they got on top of the snow compared to my XM. The axxys just chainsawed through the snow where I know my XM would of gotten on top. Probably due to the 16"track. Power and clutching was good on it. Steering felt off but I am sure I would get used to the flat steering. Just not sure I want to spend 15k on a sled I have to get used to or keep riding Doo that feels natural to me.

Wow, if your XM gets on top quicker , you must have been on a very poorly set up Axys, cause i don't believe thats the norm.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, if your XM gets on top quicker , you must have been on a very poorly set up Axys, cause i don't believe thats the norm.
Lots of guys are saying the skid needs a bit of setup or they perform as he described. It was probably showroom setup and needed some love.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think all the big 3 make a good sled. Even those Yamahas with a turbo go good

Reactions: LDK

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think all the big 3 make a good sled. Even those Yamahas with a turbo go good

They go good but I think a bigger rider is more suited for them. I tried a few Yamaha and 1100 cat turbos and I can't make them do nothing other then go strait. But I only weigh 170ish.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 6 4'' and depending on rum and pizza intake around 230 and I was impressed with the 153 I took for a rip last year. Don't know if I could adjust to a 4s.i love the smell of 2s and the way they rip

rcbc

Reaction score
I've got around 800 kms right now on a unit with a 163" X 2.6". The front end has survived a few good blows. The belt isn't wearing any worse than the ones for my 2012 pro. The rear skid could use some adjustment for weight transfer.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got around 800 kms right now on a unit with a 163" X 2.6". The front end has survived a few good blows. The belt isn't wearing any worse than the ones for my 2012 pro. The rear skid could use some adjustment for weight transfer.

I have heard a lot of people say the weight transfer isn't satisfactory on the Axys. I have to seriously pull on the bars to make it wheelie, i think its great!! Keeps the track in the snow and the sled chugging forwards.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered some 8" ODI grips, they have some more texture to them so i'm hoping they don't ice up as bad. Also since they are a bit longer it will cover the bare bar that is exposed. I moved my brake in probably 1.5" to gain optimal leverage on the lever and i like a narrower grip. The throttle is also moved in, the hand warmer wire always accumulates a chunk of ice. Have a tether coming as well for the WCHA races this spring.

Top Bottom