09 800 XP More GO..

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son wants to power up his sled. Looking at SLP for a pipe kit, includes Y pipe, Pipe and Can. Also SLP heads. The SLP guy we spoke to at the show told us it would make a big difference.
Is this a good way to go or a waste of cash??
:confused::beer::beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
of course the slp guy told you that hahaha. it does work good actually. but i would go with the dynoport setup personally. they are proven to gain HP and work with the big bore kits unlike any other pipe setup. just for future planning. its going to be 1000$ for not alot of gain. it is some. but depends what its worth to you. every little bit counts.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
of course the slp guy told you that hahaha. it does work good actually. but i would go with the dynoport setup personally. they are proven to gain HP and work with the big bore kits unlike any other pipe setup. just for future planning. its going to be 1000$ for not alot of gain. it is some. but depends what its worth to you. every little bit counts.

Exactly, that's why I am reaching out to all the dooers for a little advice.:beer::beer:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NOS will give you best hp/$ ratio id say. Higher com heads/ should give you some more power. Or a big bore kit If you want to spend a bit more.

Twin pipes sould give you some good results,, but I don't think there are any available
for a XP??:confused: It is pretty tight under the hood....

hpjunkie

Reaction score
My son wants to power up his sled. Looking at SLP for a pipe kit, includes Y pipe, Pipe and Can. Also SLP heads. The SLP guy we spoke to at the show told us it would make a big difference.

Most of the gain is in the mid-range. Will make the sled "feel" as if it has gained a ton, when in reality maybe 5hp @ top end. Mid-range increase maybe 10hp dependent on cr utilized. The Dyno port is a great pipe & as stated above works with a bb well (low elevation pipe better than hi). Price would be about the same for an SLP pipe/head/intake vs just a Dyno port pipe. You should feel more mid range pull with the pipe/head combo & should also widen your powerband, as an 800R stk has a fairly narrow powerband. My .02!

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into engine mods for my sled ( 09 800R ). and im going to be going with an RKT drop-in kit ( head and dual ring pistons ), cpi exhaust set up and a DJ kit in the clutching dept. just another idea

drop the hammer

Reaction score
First get the sled tuned to get what you can out of it. As posted above, the clutching alone can make it feel way way more powerful especially if tuned to your weight, style and altitude. Skidoo left a lot on the table in the clutching department on these XP's. DJ kit is pretty much the best out there, but there are others too that work well, I always stuck with DJ as it is dialed.

Some other things IMHO also are well worth it, like a higher compression head either 13.5:1 or 14:1 if you just ride mtns. Widens power band and makes sled easier to tune and really more fun to ride, although hp increase is there, it's not a lot, maybe 3 or 4 hp and more in mid-range, but broadening of power curve is what you want. The current XP Summit 800 stock head is not good and is lower compression than the 2006 800 summit engine was!! Terra Alps is a good brand of head, a few of us run it with great results and it is quality workmanship. RKT is another good one, but RKT is a bit spendy. I also tried an SLP head in the 800R and won't be doing that again, it ran good, but looking at terra alps and RKT and comparing to SLP....welll not much of a comparison the SLP was not near the other two as far as look and machining.

Start there and get it tuned and properly set up....that would be a fun fun sled.

A pipe can be done, but other than sound and some weight loss you won't get a lot out of it....I do vote for Dynoport for a single pipe though, if you were going to do it. Nice sound, nice pipe, nice product. And another 4 or 5 Hp is always good too. Good luck and happy shopping for stuff!!

Zig Zag

Reaction score
Put it on the juice

sledlicious

Reaction score
does anyone know of twin pipes for the stock 800 xp? The only ones I've seen have been from Jaws for the 860 bb.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Stay away from the slp pipe kit!! I tryed it and it did not work made my sled run like crap put my stock pipe back on and i have got my power back, I don't think that pipe develops enough backpressure at altitude clicker 1 at 3500 ft clicker 6 at 6500, and wouldn't maintain rpm.

Top Bottom