08 summit xp.....

atvmodster

Reaction score
Today we were ice fishing and we used my sled a few times. It ran perfect! At the end of the day we went to start it to load it up and my buddy pulled once and the pull handle went back in and locked solid. I tried pulling hard and it broke the handle off the pull rope. I then tried turning the primary clutch. It turns stiff and makes a funny shrill noise coming from rewind. What do you guys think is wrong? I hope it aint my engine. I only have 1560 kms on it...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do not try and turn the engine over anymore, pull off the recoil and you will see for sure. either the recoil has come apart, or a stator mount bolt backed out and is grinding around in there. pretty sure it won't be engine/crank related.

atvmodster

Reaction score
Alright ill look into it today. I hope its just the rewind.... If its the stator is that a hard fix?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright ill look into it today. I hope its just the rewind.... If its the stator is that a hard fix?
no, you will need a puller to get to it tho. stator is kinda pricey too, couple hundred bones or more to replace

atvmodster

Reaction score
I kinda think its in the rewind... I hope! It snowed like 6 inches over night and i wanna go sledding bad!

atvmodster

Reaction score
If thats what did break is it common for it to bind up and lock? Like it would not budge with the rope. I did spin the primary clutch on other side but it was hand to turn. I guess i will know soon enough. thanks guys.

atvmodster

Reaction score
Well I got a brand new rewind on the way. The whole rewind was pretty much hootched. I think that plastic shaft on the cover broke and that was the start of it. $200 for a new rewind! Luckly my seld usually starts on the first pull. I used the backup rope a few times today. Pretty easy to use.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I got a brand new rewind on the way. The whole rewind was pretty much hootched. I think that plastic shaft on the cover broke and that was the start of it. $200 for a new rewind! Luckly my seld usually starts on the first pull. I used the backup rope a few times today. Pretty easy to use.
right on....good to hear it was only the rewind. I don't know why 'doo would go back to the plastic post....they updated that back in '02 with a metal post. my '08 still hangin in there....not sure for how long tho....:(

atvmodster

Reaction score
Im sure brp could make the sled .5 lb heavier and have a much stronger rewind...

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good advice guys.
Pull the recoil tonite and inspect it for likely for damages. Make sure that there's nothing trying to get beyond the flywheel; look closely around outer edges. Tomorrow is last day for parts before Christmas weekend. The 800R starts pretty good with the emergency cord around the clutch (but be careful) if needed.
Merry Christmas sledding.

Top Bottom