08 sportsman 800 engine code

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out riding this afternoon and after about an hour and a half of riding the "Check engine" Icon came up shortly there after it sounded like some sort of rubbing/grinding on the right side of the quad that came and went (nothing consistent). So I shifted into low range and limped back to the staging area and loaded it up. I then went into diagonistic mode (the real one where you put it in park and turn the key on and off 3 times quick and on the third time you leave it in the on position) it went through its test and the number 25 is displayed.

My question is does anybody know what this code means? One of my biggest complaints is they put these features on the quad but dont give you a refrence to see how serious of a problem it is. I could call the dealer but I would have to wait till tuesday :mad: so I kinda want to know what to expect or fix before then.

Thanks in advance!

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK sorry, I had my head up my arse. I did it the american way I didnt look in the owners manual right away. After looking I learned blink code 25 is "Gear sensor signal"

However it doesnt say if anything needs to be checked or could be wrong. Is it just the sensor? anybody else have this problem?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the shifter link rod ends are getting a little worn or the bell crank is loose on the shifter shaft sometimes the sensor ends up between contact points. if the display does not read a gear the check engine light will come on, code is invalid gear selection. this is nothing to be concerned about, move the shifter enough to display a gear and the check engine light will go off. the grinding could be a number of things. put it on a stand and run it while turning the handlebars. it could be a cv joint, wheel bearing. the units with active decent are famous for this, the front diff oil gets dirty and the clutch packs chatter and makes you think the front diff is toast. change the diff oil and drive it with the adc on and speed up and slow down so the adc activates. then change it again. if this is whats making the noise the oil change will cure it. demand drive plus #2877922. 1 litre will change it about 3-4 times. hope this helps!

Top Bottom