Logging road radio freqency and VHF radios

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a few years now I have often wanted to pick up a VHF radio for monitoring only of logging roads when travelling. Now that sledding season is upon us again I was wondering if anyone uses one.

I am not looking to transmit or anything but listen when travelling so we know where the trucks are. Does anyone have any suggestions for radios or any other input on this?

I see units on ebay ranging from $200 and up for known brands such as Kenwood. I figured I would stay away from the cheep chinese ones. Some can transmit from 136-174 Mhz with the modication, which I think would be needed to hear a broad range of frequencies.

Any input is appreciated. I tried finding a simple mobile scanner but didn't come up with much.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
For a few years now I have often wanted to pick up a VHF radio for monitoring only of logging roads when travelling. Now that sledding season is upon us again I was wondering if anyone uses one.

I am not looking to transmit or anything but listen when travelling so we know where the trucks are. Does anyone have any suggestions for radios or any other input on this?

I see units on ebay ranging from $200 and up for known brands such as Kenwood. I figured I would stay away from the cheep chinese ones. Some can transmit from 136-174 Mhz with the modication, which I think would be needed to hear a broad range of frequencies.

Any input is appreciated. I tried finding a simple mobile scanner but didn't come up with much.

I have 2 in my truck for the oilfield work I do...dont hear anything out there as I dont have their frequencies...

IF you know the specific frequencies, AND you are allowed to use them, then its very easy. Some logging co's use the LAD 1,2,3 province wide channels, but most have dedicated channels.

Get the list and any radio dealer can program them in a few minutes...

As far as radio goes, we only use Kenwood and 50watts only. Other good cheaper radios too.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use radios often.... i would recommend getting one that is self programmable.... then if you go into other areas you can just put in the frequency that is posted at the beginning of the road.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest getting a handheld that can transmit as well, I really get stressed if I start down a coullie at 11-12' wide with a single lane baily bridge at the bottom and have a pick up (or even other trucks for that matter) that haven't called out, break over the other side to come down. Gets a little dicey sometimes. Plus I'm starting to see more guys sledding with the VHF radios because they throw a signal a lot farther then, say, a Rhino or other 2-way radio. Just my .02 :)

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the programable ones are the ones I am talking about. You can select the frequency that is posted on the road you are travelling on.

I do have a Restricted Radio Operators License for the aviation work I do. We do have some lower band VHF radios at work but some of the logging roads I see are as high as 155Mhz and ours only go to 136.

The only problem with hand helds are the power of them. I have one, its an ICOM 1watt unit. It doesn't work well.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Programmable VHF in the frequencies you need are illegal. However...HYT makes one that many of the Telus dealers sell, its 50 watt and programmable. This has to be enabled by the dealer though, and most will if you explain what you are using it for.

and yes 136-174mhz is the range...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Tad radios, an M8 and M10. the M10 is hard mounted in my pickup, the M8 I have made portable to lend to friends. it has a cigarette lighter power cord and mag mount antenna, both are user programmable. motorola, icom, kenwood are good brands that you can get that are user programmable but not on the cheap end of the scale.

I just scooped a 5 watt motorola 136-174mhz programmable hend held on fleabay for dirt cheap, but I will wait until I get it before I give it a good review.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your're better off to drive as if there is a logging truck/ pick up/ oilfield truck / etc. coming around the corner/over the hill than to depend on a radio. All you need is some trucker or operater that thinks he's the last load out for the day and decides not to call his kilometers and then surprise, surprise.

Radio dealers are getting really anal about putting in frequencies if you don't have the proper license in place, Industry Canada is finally clamping down.

I can't speak for the B.C. loggers, but I know first hand , the weekend warriors in NE AB give my trucking contractors plenty of grief. Apparently the rules of the road don't apply to these guys once they get off the pavement. My contractors are pretty good about letting the other trucks know if there's a 4 wheeler on the road during an active log haul however I wouldn't count on that courtesy to keep you from becoming the hood ornament on some Kenworth.

Not saying that your a bad driver, I applaude the fact that your trying to do something safer, its just that so many people rely on that radio and I've had to fill out so much paperwork where the driver states" I called my KM and didn't hear nuthin, so I gave her":rant:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your're better off to drive as if there is a logging truck/ pick up/ oilfield truck / etc. coming around the corner/over the hill than to depend on a radio. All you need is some trucker or operater that thinks he's the last load out for the day and decides not to call his kilometers and then surprise, surprise.

Radio dealers are getting really anal about putting in frequencies if you don't have the proper license in place, Industry Canada is finally clamping down.

I can't speak for the B.C. loggers, but I know first hand , the weekend warriors in NE AB give my trucking contractors plenty of grief. Apparently the rules of the road don't apply to these guys once they get off the pavement. My contractors are pretty good about letting the other trucks know if there's a 4 wheeler on the road during an active log haul however I wouldn't count on that courtesy to keep you from becoming the hood ornament on some Kenworth.

Not saying that your a bad driver, I applaude the fact that your trying to do something safer, its just that so many people rely on that radio and I've had to fill out so much paperwork where the driver states" I called my KM and didn't hear nuthin, so I gave her":rant:
lol...radio etiquette is a whole 'nother thread. if you're not familiar with the road, call every click. it's annoying to the guys on the road that are there everyday, but rather that than the alternative

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I am not looking to rely upon a radio only. Its more for curtiousy. Most of the roads we travel in winter are familar to us and it would be great it I knew a truck was passing 40k and I was nearing the turnout at 35k that I could pull in.

We already travel slow on hauling days but have had the encouters where if I could of heard their call I would wait.

I have seen many times out East how people can rely on radios and transmitters only. Ask the guys who have the groomer beacons mounted on their sleds and slam into them at 80mph and complain the groomer didn't have their transciever on. :rolleyes:

I do have my RROC so proper etiquette is second nature for me. Just thought there might be some other people out there using some sort of transciever/scanner. I am sure the 4x4 guys in BC are more familar with it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call every km and at least they know your coming, also realize that not everyone coming at you has a radio. lots of guys cut the inside corners at high rates of speed, get hit and it could very well mean your life. as in lots of time before medical help arrives. dead is dead when you are right or wrong

friggin moron drivers:rant:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teeroy, let us know about that radio when you get it, how much?

Calling every Km can get pretty annoying especially if the road is busy. Every 5 usually works. When you get close to meeting a truck, ask the driver if he wants you to wait somewhere. I get a kick out out of these P/U s that call and know I'm coming, but do absolutely nothing to get out of my way.

This was a fatal, hit a bed truck on the M.73 rd km 90, driving way too fast without a radio.

73RDTRUCK.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teeroy, let us know about that radio when you get it, how much?

Calling every Km can get pretty annoying especially if the road is busy. Every 5 usually works. When you get close to meeting a truck, ask the driver if he wants you to wait somewhere. I get a kick out out of these P/U s that call and know I'm coming, but do absolutely nothing to get out of my way.
the radio is a Motorola GP68, all the reviews I read say it is a quality radio, strengths being that it has great range and a loud internal speaker. it's a model not offered in north america, but man the price was right. shipped to my door for less than 90 bucks, complete with charger. if it's not a ripoff, I will link it up from ebay....the seller seems to have a bunch of them.

good call on asking the road regulars about pullouts etc, most are pretty decent about letting you know where you can get out of the way.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh it's a hand held one, I'm not sure how good they would work for driving.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just upgrade my RELM from a 125 channel to a 250 channel. With BC revising their channels to mostly RR's, it is expected that AB will follow suit.
$ 125 for the upgrade and now have all the channels needed for the roads we travel to staging spots.

For the original post, just listening only does'nt cut it. You should be stating your position. Makes it better for everybody.

Here's to a gretat season - :beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh it's a hand held one, I'm not sure how good they would work for driving.
my main use for it will be work related, setting up camps etc....but it will work to lend to others travelling along in our group to maintain communication. should work a lot better than FRS radios the fellas are currently using while travelling.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Hand held radios are useless for range because of the low wattage. Thus don't transmit like the 35+ watt VHF radios. You will more than likely have issuses. BC seems to be changing and adding new channels all the time so be current with this. Any radio shop will be up to date with this. I have 4 banks in my Relm and it's dam near full. It will hold 500 channels. If you have a programable radio here's a helpful web site RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference. Every road has a set of rules to follow for safe travel. These are private roads and you are responsible for your actions. Be safe and travel smart :d

* DRIVE THE ROAD<> NOT THE RADIO*

Top Bottom