dealer says that the m1000 6400-6500 rpm stumble is caused by fuel?

mason1000

Reaction score
The dealer has told me that they have just received a memo from arctic cat that the. 09's rpm stumble is caused by running the wrong octane in the sleds. They told me that these sleds are made to run 87 and that by running anything else will cause the sleds to run poorly. They said that the premium fuel causes a mapping issue can this be true?

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call Bullsht. May lose a very small amount of performance by running premium if it is not needed but i highly doubt it would cause a sled to stumble or run poorly. An engine makes the most power running the lowest octane fuel possible as long as there is no detonation etc. JMHO.

mason1000

Reaction score
That is exactly what I was thinking you may lose a couple hp from the added octane but that's it. I ran first tank 87 ran great second tank 91 had a few stumbles topped up the tank around 2/3rds empty filled with 87 and stumbles all the time can barely get it to rev out now . What is everyone else running for fuel ?

Trigger

Reaction score
I have an 08 Crossfire 1000, I just traded for this machine 2 weeks ago. It has been a dealer demo so was complete with 1 year warranty. It does however have 600 miles on it.
I find boondocking it will not pull out of that 6000-6500rpm area. I Took it to the dealer (in Camrose) yesterday and he was told the same thing. Said the dealer in GP told him to run regular and he has had 4 or 5 customer call and he said to go back to regular fuel and see if it helped. None of them have called back!
I have been searching online to try and troubleshoot this myself and there is a list to check!
- Clutching, not backshifting fast enough and therefore can't pull that tall gear out of the hole.
- Power Valves
- Fuel (regular or Premium)
- Fuel pressure too much, Should be around 38psi but guys have seen them stock up to 42psi.
- Needs the 09 upgrade
- This motor runs fat in that rpm range,

I don't know what the fix is, however it seems lots of guys have this problem, but everyone has a difference fix! ( isn't that weird??)
I don't know, but rather than me trouble shooting any more. I just took it to them and said I want it working perfectly! lol

Let me know what you find out and I will post once I get it back later this week.

Thanks

Trev

mason1000

Reaction score
Ya I have checked all of the other problems hope this extreme long shot works with the fuel if not let us know what happens with the dealer

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was up in Lloydminster on the weekend do some sledding.Lots of powder snow not hard as concrete snow.Had a nasty bog wouldn't rev past 6500rpm.Not all the time just some times.I'm pretty sure i found my bog. There is snow getting in somewhere. I hate the M series air box system.Its like freakin Lego, junk in my opinion. To many parts areas were snow can get in.I'm going to get some silicon, tape and foam, start sealing areas up.

IMG002711.jpg

IMG002761.jpg

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
I'm assuming you removed your intake hose to show the ice getting in?
I have an slp airbox mod with no intake hose, and riding for a week in over the hood snow I didnt have any kinda snow like that around my intake. Mind you I have frog skins all over my hood.

killerrf

Reaction score
when i did my cutler open intake i probably spent at least two hours using sticky foam tape and making sure every area possible around intake is closed up. also before installing filter i resiliconed everything up as much as i could see then i siliconed up the plastic cover. i also installed foam tape on the ear part where the hood mounts too and pivots on and in the very front part of the hood i use foam tape to seal that area up. took a long time but even after riding in the soft snow we have.. i had nothing for snow up by my computer or front hood part. i shined a light thru the frogskins to see how much snow was getting in by the filter and there is some snow in there but its still not close to touching the bottom of the filter. seems to work good.
that fine snow just finds a way in there... just like dust. but i agree the stock intake is not sealed worth a ch!t.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm assuming you removed your intake hose to show the ice getting in?
I have an slp airbox mod with no intake hose, and riding for a week in over the hood snow I didnt have any kinda snow like that around my intake. Mind you I have frog skins all over my hood.

Yes i removed the intake hose to see if there was any snow in there.I found some Ice lol.I just need to seal up everything good.I got to seal around my exhaust outlet. And all the joints in the under hood assembly, around headlights,and around the air box itself.Lots is getting under there.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can say from personal experience that they do run better on regular due to low comression ratio head. So what happens with higher octane fuel it burns slower.

Trigger

Reaction score
Well I just got my sled back from Camrose Farm Equipment ( Cat Dealer)

1) I had a small leak in the fuel return line.
2) I was just about out of gas so filled up with regular 87oct. and all I can say is it WOW, what a difference! I rode it hard for 1 hour no breaks on and off the throttle boondocking and not one bog! This is day and night from before.

Come this weekend and I get my 144"x2" track installed and this thing should be awesome.

Hope this helps.

Trev

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my air box was also full of ice. ordered my SLP parts should be here today and then will be installing and seeling everything i can possibly see. hopefully this fixes the same problem. maybe i will try 87oct as well. this was on an 06 M7

mason1000

Reaction score
Cam rose is where I bought my sleds and the dealer I called hopefully it does not come back. So the only thing they fixed was a fuel return line leaking and changed the fuel? Do you guys store your sleds in a heated garage or out in the cold? maybe being in the warm shop for a few days helped....... Probably not but who knows

Trigger

Reaction score
I keep mine in the garage but it is not heated. He actually said he had spoke to someone in Fort Mac, but didn't know if you had any success with it or not. hadn't heard back form ya. I called him today to let him it seems to be working excellent.

mason1000

Reaction score
Ya that would have been me I keep mine in my enclosed trailer and it's like a deep freeze at -40 I'm going to put some heat in there and drain the tanks as soon as I can

prairiepulling

Reaction score
So running a 08 M1000 and 06 M7 I am better off running Regular Fuel vs Premium Fuel ? Never heard of that before. Learn something new every day.
What would the recommended Spark Plugs be for Regular Fuel in both of these Sleds ? Thanks:confused_pr:

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spark plugs would still be the factory plugs.

As far as the fuel goes , I was told (by dealer) that if I am running a can, y pipe and nitrous that I need to run premium? I never understood why , just did as I am not changing the compression.

Trigger

Reaction score
Your factory plug is likely a BR9EYA.
I had an 06 600 crossfire and it ran great regardless of what diet it was on premium or regular.
However on this 08 1000 it is amazing how much better it is performing with regular.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spark plugs would still be the factory plugs.

As far as the fuel goes , I was told (by dealer) that if I am running a can, y pipe and nitrous that I need to run premium? I never understood why , just did as I am not changing the compression.

The biggest reason to run premium in what you added was because of the NOS. You can run a can and y-pipe without any issue really all's the y-pipe does is actually lean it out abit, and flow abit better. Any of you guys out there that want to make your exhaust work better and actually gain a couple ponnies is to actually match the y-pipe exhaust opening to the cylinder exhaust port opening size. The cylinder one is usually smaller.

Top Bottom