Zero turn mower

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I typically check and sharpen/reshape my z-trac blades every 3 or 4 cuts. On the smaller tractor I have Gator Blades, they chew up the grass a few times and leave it in very small pieces. My neighbour spoke highly of them so I tried. Seem to be the ticket for that for sure.

I use Gators as well. They are prettt cheap and work really well. Sort of a hybrid high loft mulching blade.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it have the side shoot or a mulcher attachment that blocks that off. I may look at adding this, in conjunction with the gator blades this may work well. That mower actually works well and has good power. It turns on a dime as well without ripping the grass. I do find that the Z-trac does rip the grass on occassion.

yah, chewing up the grass when turning is one of the downsides of a Zero turn mower. But man, can you cut a lot of grass in a short time with them!

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pfffft
Changing blades ?
Sharping blades?
Cleaning decks?
See a thread topic on who oil changes oil ?
Most never do that ?!!
Think you fellas are full of it .

Gpt a buddy who bought an acerage 5 years ago. Likes the best of the best. Bought a commercial zero turn toro for about $25k. Told him why don't you save your money and buy a cheap used mower until you actually plant grass. 5 years later the Toro remains a very expensive rough cut mower that lives outside all year round.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pfffft
Changing blades ?
Sharping blades?
Cleaning decks?
See a thread topic on who oil changes oil ?
Most never do that ?!!
Think you fellas are full of it .
I'm anal retentive on servicing my stuff. Lasts for a long time for me.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gpt a buddy who bought an acerage 5 years ago. Likes the best of the best. Bought a commercial zero turn toro for about $25k. Told him why don't you save your money and buy a cheap used mower until you actually plant grass. 5 years later the Toro remains a very expensive rough cut mower that lives outside all year round.

Gross
I am mr maintance and just can’t leave stuff outside ?
Even my old grasshopper zero turn stays inside . Lol

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just started my 40 year old craftsman to rotorake with 1 pull after sitting all winter in the shed but it has been maintained just doesn’t want to die start the 45 year old rototiller next was running last fall

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy Wheeler bought a small zero turn, i think it was a club cadet, he should chime in to this thread and comment.
I inherited a club cadet a few years ago, I think the mower deck is 42”, so far I’ve only replaced the starter solenoid and haven’t had any other problems. I do like you run it with one hand so you can have a bowl of loud mouth soup in the other.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Zero-Turn-Mowers-Cub-Cadet-Z-Force-SX-54-01.jpg
I love my cub cadet... This will be season #4 with it. Cut my mowing time in 1/2. The ride on used to take about 4.5 - 5 hours with the zero turn it's closer to 2 hours.

Not overly impressed with the bagger system it's fine in dry desert like conditions but if the grass is wet in the least it tend to plug up - I will be putting mulching blades on it for this year.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got my place seeded and from the looks of it in a month or so i'll have to start cutting grass so I need a ride on. How big should I be getting for about 15,000 sq/ft? A bit of fairly steep ditch that would be nice to be able to do with it, most of the rest is open. Noticed most neighbors have zero turn but not all. Hoping to not spend a fortune as i'm putting place up for sale and planning to move in the next year or so tops and won't need a ride on being back in the city.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got my place seeded and from the looks of it in a month or so i'll have to start cutting grass so I need a ride on. How big should I be getting for about 15,000 sq/ft? A bit of fairly steep ditch that would be nice to be able to do with it, most of the rest is open. Noticed most neighbors have zero turn but not all. Hoping to not spend a fortune as i'm putting place up for sale and planning to move in the next year or so tops and won't need a ride on being back in the city.

A used 42 or 54 would be lots and a ride on is lots. Zero turn is more money.
If energetic a push front wheel drive would do for 15000 for a year or two.
Be a few hours cutting with a big push though.

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 224927
I love my cub cadet... This will be season #4 with it. Cut my mowing time in 1/2. The ride on used to take about 4.5 - 5 hours with the zero turn it's closer to 2 hours.

Not overly impressed with the bagger system it's fine in dry desert like conditions but if the grass is wet in the least it tend to plug up - I will be putting mulching blades on it for this year.

I need to take a look at this as i'm not sure my wife will be able to use a traditional zero turn mower!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I need to take a look at this as i'm not sure my wife will be able to use a traditional zero turn mower!

The wheel is nice for keeping a free beer hand and for side hilling. I have lots of side hill and a traditional with the front castors won't hold the hill. I think the traditional style would be a little quicker for flat terrain but it's nice to be able to hold a beer while mowing..... I got mine at Agriterra on Hwy 16, under $4k, $4500 with the double bagger system and 0% interest for 36 months, it's paid off this month and runs just like new.

Top Bottom