your lakes.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
So guys what lakes do you all frequent. hows the water, beaches, fishing, camping near by ect.

this yea i'm looking to do a little more traveling to lakes i havent visited but i know a lot of the lakes around here are in rough shape so just looking to see what ones are still alive and kicking

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mostly frequent Sylvan Lake as it is close to Red Deer. I don't think there is much for camping on the lake there but Gull Lake is close by as well with lots of camping available, large beach and the water is decent. Sylvan Lake is still very cold though if you do decide to go that way and is a nightmare down town during the day. I too am looking for some different lakes to frequent as Sylvan can be too congested, not only with people but with boats as well.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I mostly frequent Sylvan Lake as it is close to Red Deer. I don't think there is much for camping on the lake there but Gull Lake is close by as well with lots of camping available, large beach and the water is decent. Sylvan Lake is still very cold though if you do decide to go that way and is a nightmare down town during the day. I too am looking for some different lakes to frequent as Sylvan can be too congested, not only with people but with boats as well.

wabamun is getting very congested too, with the closing of the alberta beach launch traffic has gone way up.....i have t get out and be launched by 8 or 9 to avoid a close to 2 hour wait

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plio.........one weekend this summer I'll bring you up to the lake. Let me know what works for you.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slave Lake is very nice Chris. There are a number of places to camp, great beaches, good fishing, nice boat launches. It's a big lake so even when there are lots of people out there you dont notice it.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep...Slave is great....if you are ever wanting to come up just let me know...Lake level is low,,,,mouth of the river is low but there are places to get out and we limit out every day....awesome fishing right now. Just got home in fact from a nice feed of frsh walleye at our camp! Love it!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just talked to the father in law, he's on Slave Lake now with the brother in law. 9 walleye in 15 minutes, catch and release keep the biggest. He's havin a blast.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garner lake is where i spend most of the summer. Great beach big shallow area for kids to run and play with a play ground. See lots of people with dogs. Privincial ground right there. Easy to throw the boat in the water. I would guess at 25 spots for boat and trailer. Water is about 30' in most places, lots of space to move around.

The only fishing that happens for me is when the kids want to mess around with their toys, so you could say i am ignorant to fishing up there. :d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Is the water up at all? Last time I was up there they had the launch shut down to to low water levels. We tried to buy a lot there before we got the one at upper mann. The last time I fished Garner we hit about 100 Jack & 4 walleye in about 3 hours...pretty much a hit on every 2nd cast. I did hear that they had a winter-kill after that but also heard that they had a winter-kill 2 years prior to that and it had bounced back magnificently. much like floating stone you need to watch out for hidden rocks just below the water line.....

Garner lake is where i spend most of the summer. Great beach big shallow area for kids to run and play with a play ground. See lots of people with dogs. Privincial ground right there. Easy to throw the boat in the water. I would guess at 25 spots for boat and trailer. Water is about 30' in most places, lots of space to move around.

The only fishing that happens for me is when the kids want to mess around with their toys, so you could say i am ignorant to fishing up there. :d

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the water up at all? Last time I was up there they had the launch shut down to to low water levels. We tried to buy a lot there before we got the one at upper mann. The last time I fished Garner we hit about 100 Jack & 4 walleye in about 3 hours...pretty much a hit on every 2nd cast. I did hear that they had a winter-kill after that but also heard that they had a winter-kill 2 years prior to that and it had bounced back magnificently. much like floating stone you need to watch out for hidden rocks just below the water line.....

The water level looks about the same as last year, maybe an inch or 2 down. Lauch is great east on and off. I have never had an issues with anything hidden. The sandy/muddy botton is easy on the boat.

They have a few lake lots for sale, not sure of the price.

Attachments

• IMG00197.jpg
    IMG00197.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 49

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
we found some prop busters up in the cove around sunrise beach.

I would have prefered Garner over Upper Mann but the prices were crazy. In the end makes no difference because ever since we bought the acreage I don't go anymore, when the market recovers I'll sell it off.... Boat launch at Wab is 7 mins from home....

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we found some prop busters up in the cove around sunrise beach.

I would have prefered Garner over Upper Mann but the prices were crazy. In the end makes no difference because ever since we bought the acreage I don't go anymore, when the market recovers I'll sell it off.... Boat launch at Wab is 7 mins from home....

You can not beat 7 min to the water. If i had that i would look for a part time job. maybe 4 hours a day 3 days aweek.

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I float my boat on Gull lake it can be a bit busy at times and is shallow in places but overall its good there is a good launch at rv heaven marina on the north west side

Top Bottom