You snoozzz...You lose in Revelstoke

revy rocks

Reaction score
A lot of you Revelstoke riders may have noticed something different last year. You were sharing your hotel with downhill skiers, a lot of skiers. Revelstoke Mountain Resorts opened its multi million dollar ski resort last winter. As the skiers came, the hotel rooms were being snapped up. Long gone are the days when you decide on a thursday night to come to REVY for the weekend and think you will get a room. The ski hill is doubling in size this year and it will be first come, first serve on the accommodations. Skiers tend to book well in advance and you will have to do the same. There are a few changes in town, the Comfort Inn is now the Days Inn and the Best Western has been bought by the Sandman group. I will be pounding this message all winter, like riding the Keystone trail. Looking forward to seeing all my friends and customers from around the west. So this year lets fill these rooms with sledders, lots of sledders!!! I am sure you will be hearing more about this at the snow shows. If there are any questions or comments, let me know.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Good to hear from you and your view on revy...... I've heard that this past year, several of the hotels were complaining that what the ski hill promised to the businesses for the most part isn't really coming through...... Some rumoured examples are: 1) skiers/snow boarders tend to be a little cheaper and a younger crowd(i too am a skier, but also a sledder), and will tend to pack there lunches/meals and take with them, and the restaurants are missing out? 2) the younger crowd will tend to pack more people into a room(most of the time not paid for) so the hotel is missing out.......... Any of this true, from your point of view???

snowzombie

Reaction score
Unfortunatley not all of us have the luxury of booking weeks in advance, with work, families and other commitments. Alot of my trips are more spur of the moment when things work out you hit the road often with a day or two to plan. I have rode almost exclusively in Revy for the past 15 years and that is my prefered locaiton but if I can't get a room I guess I may need to drive a little further to Sicamous or shorten it up to Golden. That would suck (or maybe not?) but its an option to "snozin n losin"...
I as well heard the things Summitric posted and witnessed some things last year that had me shaking my head.
At least the room prices havent been jacked because of the demand or is that next??? While on the topic of demand if the hill is now twice the size will the current accommodations even handle the ski hill demand? Although twice the size doesnt mean there will be twice the people. I guess I could be optimistic and hope that as the resort expands with its on site community, 2000 hotel rooms, that sledders won't be the minority in town.

:rant::rant:AM I RANTING....NO I HAVENT EVEN STARTED:rant::rant:

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea for these reason is why i am glad i have a few friends that live in revy hopefully be able to stay at there place

revy rocks

Reaction score
I have talked to a few hotel owners and there saying the same thing, The hill has been good for filling up the rooms. They also told me that it does not matter if you are a skier/boarder/sledder,they just want to be full. As far as room rates go its supply and demand. Rooms will be in short supply until the on hill condos and hotels are completed which will take several years.One owner told me that the resort might even shuttle people to the Sicamous motels if REVY is full.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I have talked to a few hotel owners and there saying the same thing, The hill has been good for filling up the rooms. They also told me that it does not matter if you are a skier/boarder/sledder,they just want to be full. As far as room rates go its supply and demand. Rooms will be in short supply until the on hill condos and hotels are completed which will take several years.One owner told me that the resort might even shuttle people to the Sicamous motels if REVY is full.

Plus they have just hit a delay in the first condos........one of the floors just colapsed and they are in clean up mode before moving forward:eek:

Don't panic......every ski hill in B.C. has gone broke at least once:p
Real estate has softened, (everywhere) and Revy is no exception. Listings are abundant with some "reduced" signs poping up. Investors must be second guesssing themselves now:eek:

Safe sleddin'
RS

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie is a big "ski" town too. An older ski umm guy gave me a lecture at the gas station one morning while i was filling my machine. It sorta went like this...you know this here is a skiers town and do you know how bad that machine is for the environment ect...all i really heard was bla bla bla..and figured it was motor envy lol He was counting his change to fill up his old truck so am guessing he was NOT supporting any business but that gas station.

I agree with snowzombie it does suck, not all of us make a plan until the night before/morning of. Lets run all the skiers over?!? Sorry skiers LOL

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie is a big "ski" town too. An older ski umm guy gave me a lecture at the gas station one morning while i was filling my machine. It sorta went like this...you know this here is a skiers town and do you know how bad that machine is for the environment ect...all i really heard was bla bla bla..and figured it was motor envy lol He was counting his change to fill up his old truck so am guessing he was NOT supporting any business but that gas station.

I agree with snowzombie it does suck, not all of us make a plan until the night before/morning of. Lets run all the skiers over?!? Sorry skiers LOL
Kick him in the nut bag and drive a ski up his azz......douche bag...........those big ski hills are not animal or enviromentally friendly in any way......The only enviromentally friendly thing about MOST skiers is they only shower once a year...KNIT hats

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad was telling me about when he went skiing in Montana MANY years ago, they were eating at a chalet on the top of the mountain and some sledders came and ate at the SKIERS chalet with no issues. Sledding on the backside of the ski hill. That would be a pretty good idea for Revy.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad was telling me about when he went skiing in Montana MANY years ago, they were eating at a chalet on the top of the mountain and some sledders came and ate at the SKIERS chalet with no issues. Sledding on the backside of the ski hill. That would be a pretty good idea for Revy.
Rucky your suggestting sledders SLED up to the CHALET and and have lunch with the skiers.........:confused: You dont get out of Hiiliard much.....and the only T.V. station you get shows Barney re runs all day.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rucky your suggestting sledders SLED up to the CHALET and and have lunch with the skiers.........:confused: You dont get out of Hiiliard much.....and the only T.V. station you get shows Barney re runs all day.

Honestly, what is wrong with that idea?? I don't actually live in Hilliard, just around, and yes I do get out.... We get as many TV stations as we want because we have Satellite. Does that clear things up?:confused:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, what is wrong with that idea?? I don't actually live in Hilliard, just around, and yes I do get out.... We get as many TV stations as we want because we have Satellite. Does that clear things up?:confused:

Honestly..I think it's a great idea....you first. You've spent many many days sledding in ski towns so your nominated to be the negotiator.
I dont hate all skiers but the majority of them dislike sledders, many dont say it to your face. Last year in Fernie my rig was stickered 4 times by enviromentalist at the Best Western.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly..I think it's a great idea....you first. You've spent many many days sledding in ski towns so your nominated to be the negotiator.
I dont hate all skiers but the majority of them dislike sledders, many dont say it to your face. Last year in Fernie my rig was stickered 4 times by enviromentalist at the Best Western.

I never did say I was an expert, I was just stating my opinion. Maybe I'm completely wrong (likely)... Maybe it wouldn't work well. But it did there and then. I know for a fact heli-skiers hate sledders, but didn't think "normal" skiers had an issue. Infact, sleds are used at the Ski-hills. That's unfortunate that you were stickered, but I guess that could happen anywhere as well. :twocents: :beer:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never did say I was an expert, I was just stating my opinion. Maybe I'm completely wrong (likely)... Maybe it wouldn't work well. But it did there and then. I know for a fact heli-skiers hate sledders, but didn't think "normal" skiers had an issue. Infact, sleds are used at the Ski-hills. That's unfortunate that you were stickered, but I guess that could happen anywhere as well. :twocents: :beer:
Every skiers inner most desire is to be able to be a Heli Skier
Every trail riders inner most desire is to be a Mountain Rider

wheresjd

Reaction score
perhaps we should pair up and share rooms, if there's gonna be a shortage or rooms. LOL - perhaps start a link for room sharing. :)

A lot of you Revelstoke riders may have noticed something different last year. You were sharing your hotel with downhill skiers, a lot of skiers. Revelstoke Mountain Resorts opened its multi million dollar ski resort last winter. As the skiers came, the hotel rooms were being snapped up. Long gone are the days when you decide on a thursday night to come to REVY for the weekend and think you will get a room. The ski hill is doubling in size this year and it will be first come, first serve on the accommodations. Skiers tend to book well in advance and you will have to do the same. There are a few changes in town, the Comfort Inn is now the Days Inn and the Best Western has been bought by the Sandman group. I will be pounding this message all winter, like riding the Keystone trail. Looking forward to seeing all my friends and customers from around the west. So this year lets fill these rooms with sledders, lots of sledders!!! I am sure you will be hearing more about this at the snow shows. If there are any questions or comments, let me know.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sleds on the ski hills are for ski patrol shuttles, lift operators on shift change and to drag wounded skiers down to the band-aid stations... No boost and nothing but groomed trails....

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sleds on the ski hills are for ski patrol shuttles, lift operators on shift change and to drag wounded skiers down to the band-aid stations... No boost and nothing but groomed trails....

I knew that, but that doesn't change the fact that they also are "HURTING THE ENVIRONMENT" lol. Stupid greenies.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I knew that, but that doesn't change the fact that they also are "HURTING THE ENVIRONMENT" lol. Stupid greenies.

I agree that they are not helping the enviroment. I wouldn't go as far as saying there stupid though.... some of them stick pilots have education...hahahahaha

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere on this site that it's still possible to do that at Whitefish

Top Bottom