yamaha 450 Clutch

crmxgirl

Reaction score
Anyone know if I need a special tool to pull off the clutch on my 450 Wolverine? (I believe the 450 kodiak shares the same ultramatic transmission) I bought it used off a guy that didn't seem to know a thing about it and I'm sure it could use a belt inspection and a good cleaning of the clutches.

drfat4

Reaction score
You're probably gonna need a clutch puller but if you whip out your owners manual or look up the owners manual online it should say what you need.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A clutch sheave holder tool is the best investment you can make. It allows you to remove the sheaves without damaging them and remount them using the proper torque specs. Best of all they are universal so they will work on just about any kind of machine with an auto clutch. Some guys will tell you that you can use an impact gun to pull them off...do NOT do so. Your primary is attached to your crankshaft which is attached to your cam chain, having an impact gun chattering away on your crankshaft can stretch your cam chain, make it skip a tooth altering your cam timing, or even break it. Using an impact on your secondary can damage your transmission too, breaking or stripping gear teeth etc. Use the right tools for the right results. Oh and if you decide to pull the wet clutch on your wolverine, remember that nut has a backwards thread.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been a while, but if I remember right, I wrapped a ratchet strap a few times around the primary, then hooked it to the frame or the footrest somewhere so that it wouldn't spin on me. Then I just used a breaker bar to loosen the nut.

They make a Yamalube grease for the inside of the clutch so grab a tub of that if you are going to give it a good cleaning. You actually don't need that much. For some reason I think it was something like a tablespoon of grease for each clutch weight. I'm sure someone knows better than me though.

Don't make the mistake I did of messing around with it half ass while it's still on the quad. I took the belt off, pushed the sheaves all the way together, and then couldn't get them back apart. I was freaking out. I finally took the whole thing off and found out that if you push them together, the rings that are the clutch rollers(weights) fall out of place.

A good cleaning made a huge difference, especially after having to drain the drive belt compartment a few times after some deep water crossings.

I think it was an 05 Kodiak 450.

Last edited:
Top Bottom