XP gearing

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what gearing I should go to on my 08 XP 154" as its stock now. I'm getting the DJ clutch kit, but want to change my gearing too.
I'm thinking 19 or 20 top but what about bottom? Use stock bottom gear?

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd ask Joe but most guys I know run a 19 (down 2 from stock) and leave the 45 on the bottom.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe Dynamoe Joe will tell you to run the stock gearing. I always gear mine down 1 tooth, on the top gear. You may need to get a different chain, but I can remember its been so long since I geared down my 07 and 09 ski doos. Try the set up stock first and then determine if gearing down is needed. To many changes at once does not let you know what thing worked the best etc. Just me speaking from personal experience.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will wait a bit more and try to ask DJ for his thoughts. I will post what he thinks when I get a reply from him.:beer:

snowride

Reaction score
Website
www.snowride.ca
I recently put in a 20/51 gearing with new helix, springs, ramps & rollers. Working awesome so far. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to do a proper comparison against a stock xp.

My sled is an 08 xp 800 w/ 154"

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gearing commentary

I tried to calibrate the clutch kit as stock because there seems to be the highest amount of customer that won't change their gears, its hard enough for them to buy a kit - some of this is warranty fear or their dealer gives advice yes/no...etc.

To me gearing down gives percentage increase in strength for track speed staying power. Just seems to maintain track speed for longer length in time before diminishing.

The kit works right down to what I have had at least 2 customers call me up saying running 19:51 to which I did not think that 51 gear would fit in the case. haha.

I have personally only been down to 19:49 but will be testing 19:51 this weekend coming up, should be fun.

I like the fact of the harder "surge" feel you get when you flip the throttle when doing technical stuff in the trees.

Gearing up to you, your own personal preference.

thanks
joey

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So would the 19/51 would give you a harder accelleration then the 19/49 more pick up and go or what....

kodyfritz

Reaction score
so many choices there are now days! im running an 09 summit 146 2.25.. and im thinking of covertin to a 174*3*16. im running the stock cluthing right now. I love my 146 it handles like a dream but even with the limiter out 2 more holes im finding that the 155 s are just climbing away from me.. i love mountain riding no trails or ditch bangin anymore. whats your all thoughts on the 174 and the sprockets that would work well?

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go to that 174 track you mention, I would suggest something like this.
20:51 = 2.55 = 106P
my mountain ramps
160/350 primary spring
clicker 4
NC-D2 helix.
set pinweight for your elevations
Hammer down.
I think you'd shiznit your pants with my kit in that sled using that track.
joey

Top Bottom