WTB first mountain sled

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyones saying "Oh get the arctic cat and the polaris!" But I look at the hills and all I see is XP's and rev's..:confused:

I think your going to be disapointed with your assault in the mountains.. All I saw last year was assaults stuck.:nono:

I remember at the start of last years season in november in renshaw, Just going up to the cabin there was heavy powder. Me on my 800 rev:), Summitric on his Rt1000, Rusty and his budy both on m8's, We just floated on by 7 assaults, all stuck.;)

You seemed to narrow minded on your purchase. Didn't look into the all mighty doo! Even the *ugh* M8 would have seemed like a better choice. The markets pretty much even now, Nothing except the turbo's is all that much better then the next.

Can you tell Imma doo fan!?!?:p

m8cat

Reaction score
If your gonna buy new, might as well start with the best. ARCTIC CAT M8...Sled of the year I dont know how many times , but that should tell you something :)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you for the new purchase, remember that the newer junk will take you farther and higher and the old junk so be very careful and head out to the hills well prepared, even the assault can get you into places that you shouldn't be..... :)

They look like a great sled, the 800 is a strong motor, proven no doubt. Depends on what type of riding you do, it should be a good sled. IMO they could have used a better track from the factory, this track will be reminiscent of the stock XRS track from Doo a couple years back, many people will remember the dreaded "Camoplast Lite"......too stiff and just a trencher designed by the hillclimb team for the hillclimb circuit in the states on hard icy packed hills, it will treat you really well in the harder spring snow, and honestly if you are not looking for the highest mark on the hill, it will probably treat you well about 80% of the time. If you're not happy with it, a new challenger extreme is only $850 or so to get the extra 15-20%...:)

If you want to really ride the best, put a yamaha motor in a rev chassis with arctic cat suspension and a polaris clutch.

05blazerboy

Reaction score
It's all going to depend on your style really. Being over 200lbs you're gonna want to stay away from yamaha though if you're not looking to turbo it. You'll be stuck half the day for sure. As was mentioned before it's all about learning to ride the machine you have or they'll all dig trenches with the power that's being made now. I have an XP and really love it, it floats better than any stock sled out there now and has crazy power. I'll be neck in neck with an M8 all day (after you learn how to turn the XP). Although, the M8 is an awesomely agile boondocking sled, so it'll depend on how you want to ride. My buddy has the Dragon 700 which is the third choice I'd make. The 800 is junk, and with the recalls and updates done it'll make less power than the 700 anyway. If you haven't bought yet, I'd go with an XP/M8 or a polaris 700, if you don't want the Dragon, buy the stock 7, and put on an SLP kit which will put your hp #'s with the other two sleds, and you'll still save a grand or two. I also have an '02 polaris RMK 700, and it is the best handling sled I've ever had. If I had the time or money to transplant in a 700cfi motor, I'd sell my XP and be more than happy with it.

Top Bottom