Wood stove for shop

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think forced air is the most expensive to use, especially if it's a older unit or mid. I would change that to a radiant tube heater. Can get them 20/30/40ft 50/75/80k btu and for sure 30/40% cheaper to run, also depends on R-value in shop. Just in case you wanted other options. Good luck

I have looked at radiant too and my Dad runs radiant in his shop but it doesn’t seem too much more efficient and takes much longer to recover once the door is opened in the winter. Plus side is the floor gets warmer and it seems to be a more even temp gradient.

Lots of options out there for sure. Going to check with insurance and likely run a dual heat setup if they are good with a wood stove and then maybe do a radiant if the forced air bites the dust.

Thanks again for all the replies.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have looked at radiant too and my Dad runs radiant in his shop but it doesn’t seem too much more efficient and takes much longer to recover once the door is opened in the winter. Plus side is the floor gets warmer and it seems to be a more even temp gradient.

Lots of options out there for sure. Going to check with insurance and likely run a dual heat setup if they are good with a wood stove and then maybe do a radiant if the forced air bites the dust.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Remember to hook up the air intake for the wood stove to the outside. That is very important with regards to safety.

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a radiant tube heater in my shop. 30x50with 12 ft ceiling. Absolutely love it. Very inexpensive to operate compared to a force air furnace. Only down fall is the noise from the tubes expanding and contracting from heat and cooling cycles.

Top Bottom