Wood stove for shop

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 30x40 shop and it is costing a pile to heat this winter with forced air. Looking at doing a wood stove to supplement the forced air for next winter and was curious on what anyone else has done. Hoping to get something I could stoke up when I leave for work and have it burn most of the day then stoke again when I get home. I only keep the shop at about 5 degrees so it doesn’t need to be a crazy big stove, just something to save a little cash on the heating bills.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blaze king. There is just no comparison to any other stove for burn time and efficiency. You would be looking at preferably a king or a princess would work. I heat my 3700 square foot house on about 2 cords a year and we keep it toasty. Have helped more than one person change out their jotul or Osborne for a blaze king and use about one third of the wood.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance company’s don’t like wood burning in a shop or garage.

Check into that before hand.

I personally would probably do a wood fired boiler remotely. Put a coil in your existing duct work of your forced air system.

Or tie into infloor heating if you have it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
X2 on the Blaze King. Don't get a Princess as they are just not big enough. The Classic or the King would be a great stove and 12 hour burns are not a problem. Your shop being 30x40 is 1200 sq.ft. and with 10' walls that is 12,000 cubic feet (if your walls are a different height, you can do the math). I like to work with the cu.ft. number as it can make a huge difference.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch insurance. Not sure how nice your shop is are what you have invested in it but insurance company’s now want the outdoor wood boiler. It’s a crock of chit I know.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go oil heat. Pretty amazing what a little oil stove will heat

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Insurance could be a pain for sure, will have to check into that. Just gotta figure something out, the gas charges are killing me......or should I say the service charges and carbon tax BS are killing me....

Will check into the Blaze King.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I would stay away from wood burning in the garage, a friend of mine used to heat his garage with wood when he was out there wrenching. He got lucky one day, was working in there one day with the fire going. Over that night his cat somehow knocked a full jerry can down off a shelf. He went out to his garage the next morning and said the fumes where unreal in there, still can't believe the place didn't go kaboom. Needless to say he now runs a radiant heater.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wood would not be your main source of heat. That would be LNG. Your wood would be supplemental heat and there is not a big charge for that. I have 3 wood stoves and insurance is not expensive.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pray that UCP get in and get rid of the carbon tax... Might be a wait and see option

SwampRatt

Reaction score
Never used to be an extra charge for wood stoves if they were up to code, automatic 10% added to our rates this year because of the stove, and no it’s not our main source of heat

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wood would not be your main source of heat. That would be LNG. Your wood would be supplemental heat and there is not a big charge for that. I have 3 wood stoves and insurance is not expensive.

I think the difference with a garage is the presence of fuels. And likely not monitored as frequently as a residence.

My wood stove in my home has created the most amount of questions and hassles each time I have changed insurance providers. They were concerned about if install was from a qualified wood energy installer or prove a recent inspection from one. Likely also increased premium a bit.

But Alberta insurance on a rural acreage property is already high in my opinion.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the wood is basically going to supplement the forced air I already have in place. Keep the wood heat going when it is really cold out just to save on the amount of gas burned. The chances of fumes getting to the lower explosive limit are pretty small in my opinion and any flammable s would be stored suitably across the shop.

Here’s hoping for the UCP to get in, then they need to fight off Mr Dressup on the federal carbon tax as well, unfortunately I think we are in this for the long haul but I really hope Mr Kenney can prove me wrong.

I have heard there are possible plans to tax wood stoves as well, absolutely ridiculous what government will do with their power.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get a big barrel burner. Nice because you dont have to chop the wood up too small.

Can throw 4 foot logs in.

images

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think forced air is the most expensive to use, especially if it's a older unit or mid. I would change that to a radiant tube heater. Can get them 20/30/40ft 50/75/80k btu and for sure 30/40% cheaper to run, also depends on R-value in shop. Just in case you wanted other options. Good luck

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do not do this unless it has your insurance approval and you have that in writing. Family friends lost their riding arena from a barrel stove fire and the insurance company said sorry.......They collected zero dollars.

Yeah I guess it pays off to understand your insurance policy, paying for something that covers nothing is stupid. Not the stoves fault.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Other than your friend, who stores gas inside???

theft is a major issue in my community, my fuel cans are either stored inside the garage, or in the back of the truck under the sled deck with tail gate locked.

Top Bottom