Winter storage (shrink wrap)

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time boat owner this summer and getting everything winter ready. I originally planned on storing the boat in my garage but the one we decided to buy will not fit. I looked into heated storage but holy $$$$$. Now I'm leaning towards shrink wrap and leaving it in the driveway. Just looking for opinions on the wrap. If its crap I'll try to find indoor unheated storage. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also bought a new to us boat this year. Talked to some guys and yes the shrink wrap is a great option! I will be storing mine in my garage or in a dome style crappy tire garage tent.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find a inside not heated storage

Problem with the wrap is ur boat side and trailer and trailer tires are out in the elements all winter, get super sun beaten

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a buddy get his boat shrink wrapped in airdrie last year and ended up with black mold over the entire interior had redo all his upholstery

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My google machine isn't helping to much, anyone have a recommendation for indoor non-heated storage in the Chestermere / Calgary area?

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a buddy get his boat shrink wrapped in airdrie last year and ended up with black mold over the entire interior had redo all his upholstery
I have heard of this happening also. One has to be really sure the inside is completely dried out or this will happen. I'm fortunate to be able to store mine in my heated garage.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also a few open baking soda boxes take the moisture out of the inside, even when in cold storage

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442162119.654999.jpg

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the desiccant containers in my boat as well, 1 in each storage compartment by the motor, 1 by the drivers seat and 1 up in the walkway in the bow. My boat is in an unheated garage. Boat is great in the spring no mood or mildew and the containers are about 1/2-3/4 full by the time I pull it out for its spring cleaning. I was looking at the shrink wrap as well a few years ago, but I was worried about the humidity that would build up in there. Warm day, cold night, etc creates moisture and I didn't think that the shrink wrap would let any air circulate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have non heated, non covered outside storage, in the SE ;)

There is a place, on the East side of the 2, North of Airdrie, He is offering to shrink wrap boats for the winter.

I don't have a boat, so I haven't looked at it further than what I can read from the highway.

Hope that helps some

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can have vents intalled in the shrink wrap as well as using the damp-rid. I was quoted 12.50$/ft so 250 for my 20' tub plus damp rid plus vents. Also he recommended to wait to shrink wrap until cooler daytime temps and get it off early in the spring before it warms up in the day too much. Holio

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I had my 24' cabin cruiser shrink wrapped and left it outside uncovered. Had no issues what so ever, they installed 6 vents and I should have removed the snow but I didn't and there were a few stress tears by spring from freeze/thaw but no mold/mildew/water.

My only complaint is that they didn't run the adhesive low enough and it left marks above the water line that were very difficult to remove.

I will gladly do it again but I will be sure to instruct them to keep the adhesive below the water line.

Top Bottom