Windshield Cleaning

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have a standard Harley windshield on my bike.
So the last few runs I've made I couldn't get it cleaned of the bugs with a quick wash so last night I soaked it as used dish detergent to clean it. I spent about 30 minutes on an off trying to get the smudges left by bugs off, but no luck.
What are you other riders using to clean bug smudges????,

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just usually just water, car wash soap and a sponge that has a scrub net on one side, I will use bug and tar remover on the tuff ones if need be, then I use a good old shammy to remove any smudges, the whole bike gets waxed, even the windshield,helps keep them from sticking as bad.....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good carwash soap takes bugs off well. I use Meguiars NXT

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO spray 9 is way too powerfull to use straight out of the bottle.Dilute it 4:1
water to spray 9 and it still works wonders on bugs and residue

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just drape a wet cloth that has car wash soap and water on it on the windscreen for an hour or so, it softens the bugs up and makes removal alot easier.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As suggested soaking the bugs makes removal a lot easier, no stick frying pan spray works on front of vehicles and RV when applied BEFORE road trip, not sure how it would work on a clear windshield. Just used spray nine to clean excess chain oil off rim, it pretty much cleans off anything, I always rinse with water though after use. If all else fails the steel wool and wire brush should work

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Did a little Internet research an manufactures "do not" recommend cleaners with ammonia, like window cleaner, it will yellow and make the lexan brittle.
Cleaners like spray nine and other more aggressive cleaners may add a haze to the screen after continued use.
They recommend cleaners dedicated to the Lexan market.
I did soak the windshield, bugs came off fine but the residue won't clean off.
Will try the HD product soon.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a little Internet research an manufactures "do not" recommend cleaners with ammonia, like window cleaner, it will yellow and make the lexan brittle.
Cleaners like spray nine and other more aggressive cleaners may add a haze to the screen after continued use.
They recommend cleaners dedicated to the Lexan market.
I did soak the windshield, bugs came off fine but the residue won't clean off.
Will try the HD product soon.

I don't know how it will affect Lexan but Rain X works great on glass windshields. Makes it easier to clean bugs off if used on a regular basis.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I don't know how it will affect Lexan but Rain X works great on glass windshields. Makes it easier to clean bugs off if used on a regular basis.

I've used it on a car and agree, works very well, more Internet research will need to be done on this product.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a plastic or lexan windshield , I have found that Mothers protectant works well, Only a small amount and contiunue to polish untill clearand smudge less

darkday

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370627521.737941.jpg
Plexus works the best on plastic and lexan, I use it on googles, sled windshields etc. It should remove bug residue.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$4 bucks at the carwash... just on the windshield! :) Paint peeling truck stop wash. Not those wimpy residential places.With the matte black paint on my bike, I use windex to clean painted surfaces.I think most times, I spray the windshield and let it soak while I clean the rest of the bike.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used RainX with good luck on a plastic visor. I bought the helmet in 1982. It is still in the basement with a clear visor, no yellowing or hazing. I have not worn it cuz it's so old that all the foam inside fell out.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have used RainX with good luck on a plastic visor. I bought the helmet in 1982. It is still in the basement with a clear visor, no yellowing or hazing. I have not worn it cuz it's so old that all the foam inside fell out.

But it would be back in fashion...big time...lol
Thanks for the input. I have to investigate RainX more

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
So I tried thaw Harley cleaner that they recommend for windshields and guess what...it worked.
I was actually surprised.
You spray it on, let is soak and rub. 3 tried and it looks nearly new.
I'm a happy guy again.

Top Bottom