Wicked day on a Sidewinder!

SnowDog

Reaction score
A little off topic, but it appears to me that Yamaha's Sidewinder is 2017 sled of the yea, best iron on snow. While BRP's proclaimed "game changer" G4 is 2017 biggest joke and worst iron on snow.

Do you own a "G4", are you talking from first hand experience about the 850 or just second hand information? Looking to buy a new sled and would like real world info. about the G4 850 from guys who own and ride them and not just second hand hear say bashing!!

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little off topic, but it appears to me that Yamaha's Sidewinder is 2017 sled of the yea, best iron on snow. While BRP's proclaimed "game changer" G4 is 2017 biggest joke and worst iron on snow.

Do you own a "G4", are you talking from first hand experience about the 850 or just second hand information? Looking to buy a new sled and would like real world info. about the G4 850 from guys who own and ride them and not just second hand hear say bashing!!

There's more than enough threads on 850 and bashing back and forth.

I'm in the same boat of wondering what to buy but in this thread I'd like to just hear about the Yamaha, and more specifically how it sidehills and works in the deep deep trees. Seems like they a have great power and are running like a champ

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya know If you don't fuel the fire it won't burn.

And if you want info on the G4 go check all the threads in the G4 section champ.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There has been a lot of hype on Doo over the year's and more on Yammy bashing on S&M then what is reasonable.
Now it's Yamaha's turn. BTW, this is a Yamaha thread ain't it.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So suck it up butter cup. Us Yamaha riders have for a while now.

rodney1960

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These sidewinders are like a myth, no one owns one and you never seen one in the hills.

must be just that good

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sidewinder could be a myth but I guess I will let you know as I am booked to get to ride one on the 27th. All I have heard is good and it is about time Yamaha stepped up to the table with a sled that is more than capable without mods having to be done. Love my turbo apex, my turbo viper, and who knows maybe a sidewinder that comes from factory already Turboed!! In my opinion Yamaha has taken a huge step in the right direction with the power tours they are doing.

kmcl

Reaction score
11974fb6010491ea69ce6619c95f7017.jpg

We just hosted our leg of the power tour at the coquihalla summit yesterday and response was a positive one. Snow conditions left a bit to be desired but with a little hunting we still managed to find some pockets of good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about snowcheck 2018 850... but after hearing so many things about the sidewinder that are positive well I'm gunna have to test one out a little bit anyways and see if that may be a better choice, but would I be better off waiting for to snowcheck a 2018 sidewinder or pick up one this season for a good price somewhere

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These sidewinders are like a myth, no one owns one and you never seen one in the hills.

must be just that good

I have a few buddies that have been riding them since the beginning of the season. They have been having fun nagging me on, to get on with the program, i have been sitting on the fence waiting for Cat's new comer.
I can assure you maybe in the east closer to Alberta they are a myth but not out here in the western mountains of BC.

rodney1960

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friends cousin spotted a sasquatch out in BC one time, not too far from the Brem River.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this in other post as well thought I share here as well.

The sidewinder flat out works and is dam near nimble as a 2 stroke! I've built many turbo sleds and this is a game changer.
Yes the KC has the DR Chain case with 8 tooth. (Which many US fellas are saying it works very well just like the 17 M8 DR)

They climb
They boondock
They tree ride"
They trail ride

Are they heavier yes.... Does it matter? Not to all... Can you shed 40-60 lbs reasonable YES.. Will it cost you.. No more than a pipe/can/Ypipe clutching combo on 2 stroke!!! Yup that's a fact..

Oh and for $1000.00 you can have 250-260 HP combo from EVO, Turbo Dynamics and MCX is releasing multiple stages with STA/Plenum/IC to mitigate high temps... All the above have tested to 280 hp +|- on Pump Gas, stock turbo, stock injectors, no head shim Oh that's another thing throttle response is truly amazing. (Don't quote me on MCX pricing I've only discussed with EVO & TD).

Some don't believe me on here and tend to shoot me down... but one day the 4S motors will be within 15-20% weight of 2S for consumers.. It's fact they are built tested and it's just wait and see! Interesting what you learn when you spend many months in California!!! Just saying. (Very unique the Yamee Toyota marriage). I guess if you follow MotoGP you will understand.

E-Zmoke will be able to elaborate on MCX Powerup kits... So with many tuners in the game this will be a very reasonable sled to have 250+ HP. I spent a full day on it and will be SC an 18 with a few other collegues I believe.

I hope our our friends are listening please just have a 174 for 2018!!!

FYI - I have been a Yamaha guy for years.. But went away to turbo pro and now ski-doo so I'm excited for 2018.

Anyways very unique sled that is being underestimated IMO. However Yamaha doing the Power Tours and getting biased peeps to throw leg over for full day is fantastic. Good Job E-Zmoke, JM...

Cheers

Oh and with any of the after market exhaust you can put on muff pot on 4S just like 2S... TBH that was the selling point!!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spend time in some of the other forums and one quickly sees that the Yammi/Cat has a real winner. Nothing but positive review after positive review. Numerous players coming to the table with tunes and aftermarket products. I personally think that Cat tried to push the envelope with their 1100 Turbo and it went alright (I sure enjoy my 250HP Cat 4S), but with the new Yammi mill in that Cat chassis, this could be the year a 4S turbo factory sled really starts to change the market. One key point I keep reading about the Yammi/Cat is how it "handles like a 2 stroke". Yes it may still weigh more, but that fact people are saying it handles like a 2 stroke and the extra weight isn't noticeable speaks volumes. Me thinks the game just took a serious turn...for the better.

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now as a turning point in the industry , does anyone think they will have any changes for 2018 that would be worth waiting for?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now as a turning point in the industry , does anyone think they will have any changes for 2018 that would be worth waiting for?

I'm hoping a 174x3 will be an option or else i will be doing a conversion.
I have a couple of other things on the wish list but doubt that would be a 2018 change.
At the moment i'm just waiting to see the new up coming Cat for 2018 before committing, but the pendulum is swinging on the SideWinders side and time is on my side this year.

Andrew.renegade1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping a 174x3 will be an option or else i will be doing a conversion.
I have a couple of other things on the wish list but doubt that would be a 2018 change.
At the moment i'm just waiting to see the new up coming Cat for 2018 before committing, but the pendulum is swinging on the SideWinders side and time is on my side this year.

Hey Lund do you know if there's any difference between the new viper and the sidewinder?? Chassis / riding wise

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spend time in some of the other forums and one quickly sees that the Yammi/Cat has a real winner. Nothing but positive review after positive review. Numerous players coming to the table with tunes and aftermarket products. I personally think that Cat tried to push the envelope with their 1100 Turbo and it went alright (I sure enjoy my 250HP Cat 4S), but with the new Yammi mill in that Cat chassis, this could be the year a 4S turbo factory sled really starts to change the market. One key point I keep reading about the Yammi/Cat is how it "handles like a 2 stroke". Yes it may still weigh more, but that fact people are saying it handles like a 2 stroke and the extra weight isn't noticeable speaks volumes. Me thinks the game just took a serious turn...for the better.

I was talking to a couple of good riding partners of mine that i hookup with regularly when i ride the coastal mountains. They spent a week on the icefields near Pemberton. Both rode turboed Nytro's till 2 years ago and jumped to turboed Polaris's till this year when they got their Yamaha's SW.
They both told me that this sled absolutely dominates anything they have ever rode in the back country. Even at a mere 200hp, they said it feels closer to a 240hp Nytro in power with the agility to go with it.
They also told me its happy putting around the trees or running at WOT for long distances that you find on the icefields. I have no reason to not believe these guys as i know them well and they know me well, with years of riding together.

Top Bottom