Why I think the Switchback Assault is the perfect sled for me.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To start I have snowchecked a 2012 Switchback Assault (2" track and low wind shield) and this is why.
1..I ride mostly flatland off trail and partime mountains.
2..I want the most lightweight sled available for ease of handling (cat is not even close in the weight dept).
3..2 stroke for the lightweight factor (4 strokes will always be much heavier taking away ease of handling) Power does not solve this.
4..The Polaris 800 is finally dialled in great. I am confident the reliability issues are in the past (warranted claims for Polaris in MY2011 were very low).
5..Checking the many forums on line has provided excellent feedback on this sled. Seems thoughs who bought the 2011 MY are still jumping for joy.
6..Rated top crossover for 2011 by Sledhead 24/7.
7..Polaris in my opinion have hit a home run with this sled and the other Pro rides with the best balanced sled in the business, excellent engine power/torque (not the top hp but more than enough for the fun factor), fantastic eye candy looks, narrow body (just sitting on the sled gives a person a I gotta have this feel).
8..Does not have the negative characteristics the Renegade does. Ski oscillations in deep snow and nosediving when the throttle is let off. Doo has the balance wrong causing this in my opinion. Too much rider forward. I have rode the Renegade and would never buy one as it is. I don't buy sleds that require me to adjust to be comfortable..that is a compromise. Sled should fit me. Polaris gets a A+ here.

This is why I went with the Polaris Switchback Assault...why did you buy a new Polaris??

Last edited:

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish I would have waited and bought 2011 instead of 2010. I LOVE the ride of my 2010, however, I did not like my engine blowing up... I totally agree with your reasoning and would do exactly the same if I had the money!!!!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
efisk, I hope you are right about all of those things. Pretty much the same argument I had with myself last April.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has probably as many years in the saddle as i have mostly on the Poos (I'm 50 and have been riding since I was 14). He bought the switchy last year and basically was blown away with the machine. I did not have a chance to ride his sled last year as I broke my left arm at the wrist on a ride in early Dec. Ended my season and we had record snow fall where I live. Bummer. Buckled the tunnel on my 02 modded RMK. Beat the ca ca out of the old girl but she keeps on going very strong.

FYI..
Polaris fixed the mapping problems they had by contracting a company from the other side of the Atlantic to resolve it for them.
Polaris' engine bottom end is sound and the top end is now fixed with the new top end they came out with in 2010. People don't realize Poo kept the part of the engine that was not broke and fixed what was.

Sounds like Poo is setting the oiler too fine. I would expect they will go a bit richer on the oil this year as there have been some engine failures due to too little oil in the bottom end..
I will be sure to check the oil consumption.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated on your sled throughout the year, please. I have the same one on order, but with electric start.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the SB home today and had a close look at the workings. What a high quality rig. Sled has the 2" track, low black windshield and black hand guards. Checked the clutch weights as the dealer told me they should be set up for higher elevations. Wrong. Set for my elevation perfectly with 10-66 weights. Will need to get 10-62 for the mountains.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it home... I bet you can't wait for the POW!

Got the SB home today and had a close look at the workings. What a high quality rig. Sled has the 2" track, low black windshield and black hand guards. Checked the clutch weights as the dealer told me they should be set up for higher elevations. Wrong. Set for my elevation perfectly with 10-66 weights. Will need to get 10-62 for the mountains.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Congrats on the new sled. Only the RMK's come clutched from the factory for high elevation. Post some pics when you have a chance.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Etec. Snowtrax seemed to love the renegade in their review.

Etec seems to be a good motor I would agree. But for me the Doo Chassis is not as good as the Poo. See point 8 of my original starting post. If you like the Doo that is great. It is nice that Snowtrax liked the Doo, they also loved the SBA also. Many mags chose the SBA as the crossover sled of the year last year and some still hold that opinion this year. They all have their biased or unbiased opinions. I have rode Summits and Renegades. I would not trade the SBA for any other sled out there right now. Just my opinions from my experiences. I do hope Poo comes out with their DI soon. They are behind in the engine technology even though they have what I believe to be a very good engine now.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The etech puts out 15 horse more then the poo. engines arnt even comparable. Its the chassis, I hope doo has something worked out.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The etech puts out 15 horse more then the poo. engines arnt even comparable. Its the chassis, I hope doo has something worked out.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Oh man, you really gotta stop eating that yellow snow...

Seriously who puts their dads RT 1000 sled on their signature?

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first off i love the doo guys that come on the polaris threads and talk smack about a machine they probally never owned let alone rode, this isnt a doo doo forum so keep your comments to yourself, us polaris guys dont waste our time going in a complaining on your guys posts... second, i had a 2010 rmk 800 and lets just say i wasnt to happy with the motor polaris provided, i am now looking at new options for the upcoming season, most of my riding is in the backcountry in the pow and crosscountry, i was happy with the 2010 rmks ride, acctually i loved it, and i kno the 2011 800s didnt have very many complaints let alone warranty claims on blown motors, i heard polaris didnt change the motor for the 2012s because they had such luck, im looking at the same sled a 2012 switch with a 2 in paddle... can u post some close up pics of everything, my dealer didnt have one in stock yet

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first off i love the doo guys that come on the polaris threads and talk smack about a machine they probally never owned let alone rode, this isnt a doo doo forum so keep your comments to yourself, us polaris guys dont waste our time going in a complaining on your guys posts... second, i had a 2010 rmk 800 and lets just say i wasnt to happy with the motor polaris provided, i am now looking at new options for the upcoming season, most of my riding is in the backcountry in the pow and crosscountry, i was happy with the 2010 rmks ride, acctually i loved it, and i kno the 2011 800s didnt have very many complaints let alone warranty claims on blown motors, i heard polaris didnt change the motor for the 2012s because they had such luck, im looking at the same sled a 2012 switch with a 2 in paddle... can u post some close up pics of everything, my dealer didnt have one in stock yet

Where you located? Snow show is this weekend in Stoon. Or if you want you can come take a look at my 011swb 144 in my garage. send me a pm if you need 2

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guertin Saskatoon has one in the show room, if you are near S'toon.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am close to Regina if you wanna see my 2012 SBA

Top Bottom