2019 Snowcheck...What a Great and Bad year to choose

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be keeping my 144 switchback for around home as it works great and no point in selling or trading it due to resale and will keep the new Mountian sled from getting bashed around in lower snow conditions.
Regarding a 150 ish length sled my thinking is to go bigger as This will be my first major foray into mountian sledding. Me being heavier and in good shape I do not think a longer sled will hinder me and will be a better fit to start out with.
I just went to check out the G4 ski doo. Seemed very comfortable to be on, nothing bad to say about it really. I have been on an AXYS before so I know what that feels like. Honestly either one would I don’t think I would have an issue with getting used to.
Regarding the AXYS chassis are there any known weak points to be worried about due to my size? I had to beef up my assault in a few areas but I ride the crap out of that thing lol.

I would for sure go to the longer sled given your size.. I've always maintain for mountain riding, 180 lb+ = 163 track at least. There are a couple bigger fellas in our group that ride Polaris axy ( me being one of them), we tip the scale at 235 and 250 before gear. We ride fairly aggressive (jump creeks, 15-20 foot drops, mostly tree riding) but do not launch our sleds, and have had no chassis issues aside from the ****ty back poo bumper. The one young fella that weighs in at 250 went from a 163 to a 174 this year, as the 163 couldn't pack him around to well in the 2' plus fresh powder days, its a totally different story on the 174. I prefer the 163's myself. I snow checked an 850, 163 Polaris for next season..

Good of luck with your purchase.

smc

Reaction score
Having rode all of the 2019 mtn sleds myself I would either get the new poo 850 or a alpha one. They both handle great and side hill much better than skidoo in my opinion. I’m currently on a xm and have rode skidoo my whole life. Sure they have great power but that’s not enough of a reason to roll the dice on wether or not you get a belt eater.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having rode all of the 2019 mtn sleds myself I would either get the new poo 850 or a alpha one. They both handle great and side hill much better than skidoo in my opinion. I’m currently on a xm and have rode skidoo my whole life. Sure they have great power but that’s not enough of a reason to roll the dice on wether or not you get a belt eater.
Pictures or it didn't happen.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pretty sure you have not rode an Alpha One.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m same size as you. Both my 162’s have been perfect. I had a long paragraph written, deleted it. Going a different direction with what I write.

Your on Polaris. Do you have a good dealer or relationship with a parts guy? If not, find a dealer you like and trust. I even have asked salesman if I could have a word with their mechanics. Grill them on what problems they see most.

How many trips per year will you get? Can you follow weather systems, or do you book time off work and it is what it is for weather/snow? Track length and depth then plays a role here.
How many guys in your upcoming crew? You and one other dude will have a hell of a time getting your heavy snow soaked 175 out of an auger’d hole you managed to dig it in to lol.
Resale matter to you? Chances are, when you are done with that sled, doubtful someone will want an old out dated mountain sled that they can’t finance. So therefore it becomes a ditch banger. What good is a 175 3” ditch banger that’s 6-10 years old. Even now, my middle boy is coming of age, I’m looking for 146-155 2.6 that’s up to 8 years old

I ride cat, like my cats. Been with 5 different Doo 850’s this season. Not one problem or belt of those 5, 1 guy has changed a belt after a crazy long pull and a small chunk delaminated. I have ridden an 163 3” axys. It was fine too. You really can’t go wrong. Don’t listen to or care about 50cc differences, these new sleds are all ridiculously great, or ****ty if you can’t ride. And for my son, I’m actually leaning toward pro or Doo, cats before ‘16 are harder to ride, I’ll never deny that.

Dont over track if you don’t have a ton of time on the hill, they are harder to ride and ya ya old boys forget how many trips it took to not have take our shovels out of our packs anymore. Yet go with a newer guy or my son, and I’m quickly reminded about all the tough days I had, wet, tired, beat up, stuck more times than I can remember, and fast asleep by 7pm in hotel.

Hope this helps, Im dealer and brand loyal. But you really can’t go wrong bud. Good luck

Last edited:

phatboy07

Reaction score
Only dealer in town is Ski doo (Which I haven’t heard many good things). We just lost our Polaris dealer (closed). There are decent dealers for all three brands within about 3 hours.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the Alpha. Had a really good look at it a few weeks ago.

piston nut

Reaction score
I own two cats. 2012 m800 couple updates done by dealer and a 2018 m8000 very happy with both reliability has been great.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big dude, rides hard, wants lots of power. Thinking 160+ track...

Prescription: Sidewinder 162 MTX-LE !

phatboy07

Reaction score
The sidewinder has also crossed my mind more than once. Will it be handful being heavier and my limited experience in the mountains?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any reason why they can't do a fair comparison and use 4 sleds with close to the same track length? Weak. As soon as they pull $hit like that I lose faith in their numbers.

Top Bottom