Who's making the best sled ?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No way man,, 1971 Skiroule440 all the way. Have one of those bad boys and it still works!!

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard about that. :)
Yamaha SRX700 also rock solid mashine.
Just got PRO RMK 800, everything under hood looks very cheap to me.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard about that. :)
Yamaha SRX700 also rock solid mashine.
Just got PRO RMK 800, everything under hood looks very cheap to me.

Hey I cant argue with that...lol I Just got a New Freeride. Sickest sled I;ve owned. Looks like a finely engineered piece of equipment to me.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo looks more polished agree, however, I never been considering SD and AC seriously.
In country where i came from they do not last long (Spitsbergen trails). And failure there- too bad for the driver, reliability was everything to me.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo looks more polished agree, however, I never been considering SD and AC seriously.
In country where i came from they do not last long (Spitsbergen trails). And failure there- too bad for the driver, reliability was everything to me.
What country do you come from? I guess its a matter of what your doing. I play in the mountains of BC. If you were doing long distance trails you probably want a different sled. In that case go 4stroke.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Norway, I used to drive to work (50 km one way from one settlement to another),
sometimes at night after evening shift and always alone. Yes, I know 4 stroke Yummi would do that job just the best. However, I didn't like weight of that mashine.

Attachments

• HE-03197.jpg
    HE-03197.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 149
  • myPolaris.jpg
    myPolaris.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IQ is small.. location confirms....

2 stroke engines suck....8000 rpm almost constantly.....no matter what the brand.. seriously you think something is going to last more then a few years if best.....

At least ski-doo is now saying that their engine will last 4 years no KM restriction! that says something right there. warranty approved...yet to be determined....:]....To the rest----the industry is just taking your money. They are all going after the indispensible cash your getting paid for the underquailifed and uneducated personal that the oil industry requires but can't attract thru foreign workers because of labour/immigration laws.
Count your lucky stars most shouldnt get paid the wages they do in AB and industry is smarter then you so they ass rape you for it....BC just cashes in on it, the popo tickets you and degenerates steal your sleds.

Huh? Wtf.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good thread!!!:realmad:just in case SKIDOO ..when in doubt go with skidoo!!!unless your in the 90,s on a mach 1

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Norway, I used to drive to work (50 km one way from one settlement to another),
sometimes at night after evening shift and always alone. Yes, I know 4 stroke Yummi would do that job just the best. However, I didn't like weight of that mashine.

Cool I had the same sled,, except it was the RMK not the sks. Good machine for sure. Looks like some nice country:beer:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was totally impressed with the mini polaris, it could haul my fat azz aound in some deep snow...it would be great with a large chainsaw engine and a longer track !!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread has turned into a 2 headed fire breathing dragon lol
Picked up a 2013 cat snow pro 162" hopefully it's not a heap :)
thanks again to everyone for the info I sorta had my mind made up already
gonna take the high road on the paper bag comments, I haven't even ridin it yet
if I hate it I'll sell it lol

Check that the belt issue was resolved on your sled, otherwise that is a solid ride with no issues. Have fun, don't worry about the dribblers on this thread, all sleds break, all sleds have issues, all are fun to ride. Keep your feet forward and it will outhandle most of them.

Last edited:

framtam

Reaction score
Marketing budgets and quality of product are inversely related imo... quality product sells itself. Marketing sucks in the dummys to buy their lesser-quality product by convincing you the 'best rider' rides their sled cause it's the 'best sled'. With your logic: if I had tons of cash, developed a sled, paid Burandt tons of cash to ride it exclusively - that would make my newly developed sled 'the best'...?

Go out to the mountains, try all your buddy's sleds on for size - whatever puts the biggest smile on your face is the one you go for. Easy.
I'm referring to backcountry, I mean why else would the best sledder in the world be with polaris? I will say though, the doo free-rides are just as good too.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool I had the same sled,, except it was the RMK not the sks. Good machine for sure. Looks like some nice country:beer:
yes, man
I am a scientist who trained to break our world down into manageable pieces. In Europe we follow our Greek intellectual heritage. The trick is to know when to stop.
Coming back to our conversation with sleds. I do "break" old Polaris into small pieces and enjoy working with each component. I am not a mechanic but I am able to understand how carbs, reeds, pistons are working. Then I am putting everything together and see how the whole thing is operating.
When I am looking at modern sleds I see banch of wiring and dosen of different sensors, its scares me and I fell very uncomfortable. I just have a feeling /i would never understand how it works.
How about you? Are you able to understand how modern sleds work?

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, man
I am a scientist who trained to break our world down into manageable pieces. In Europe we follow our Greek intellectual heritage. The trick is to know when to stop.
Coming back to our conversation with sleds. I do "break" old Polaris into small pieces and enjoy working with each component. I am not a mechanic but I am able to understand how carbs, reeds, pistons are working. Then I am putting everything together and see how the whole thing is operating.
When I am looking at modern sleds I see banch of wiring and dosen of different sensors, its scares me and I fell very uncomfortable. I just have a feeling /i would never understand how it works.
How about you? Are you able to understand how modern sleds work?

I agree older ones are easier too work on. The new skidoo you need the BUDDS program too work on it. Probably don't want too pack around a laptop. Tell me more about your work though, break the world down in managebale pieces? What do you mean by that? Some NWO chit or what?

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
about my work, I usually deal with very complex problems. Something that is almost impossible to understand.
For example before i used to work a lot with a climate change. That is a very complex thing, but looking at some manageable parts helps indeed.
For example I got satellite data taken over arctic seas along a whole continent from Norway to Bering sea for about 30 years.
Sea ice conditions mainly, when seas frees, how many months it stays frozen and average thickness of the ice. Since it is an indicator of global warming results, many people were interested. When I have been working on how sea currents are changing, glaciers retreating etc......

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
about my work, I usually deal with very complex problems. Something that is almost impossible to understand.
For example before i used to work a lot with a climate change. That is a very complex thing, but looking at some manageable parts helps indeed.
For example I got satellite data taken over arctic seas along a whole continent from Norway to Bering sea for about 30 years.
Sea ice conditions mainly, when seas frees, how many months it stays frozen and average thickness of the ice. Since it is an indicator of global warming results, many people were interested. When I have been working on how sea currents are changing, glaciers retreating etc......

Oh ok wow,, sounds like a pretty cool gig!! Thanks& welcome to Canada:beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so in your educated opinion, is global warming a naturally occurring event, or solely caused by man, or a mixture of both? I am of Scandinavian descent, one day I will make the journey to visit my homeland.

Top Bottom