Who is or was Supercross's Best all time rider?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With Ryan Villopoto winning his 3rd consecutive AMA Supercross Championship last night, joining other 3 time consecutive superstars Jeremy Magrath, Bob Hannah and Ricky Carmichael it brings up the question. Who was or is better and why?

Zien19

Reaction score
Depends how you look at it they all have the stats to be the best top 4 supercross racers of all time. But if you look at the age and what point in their career I think villo has the nod. Came in quiet and slowly took out Reed and Stewart. Villo is also known for his outdoor skills just like another red head we all know.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Roger Decoster.......................Team Suzuki!...............You may have to look in your history books for this one!

Zien19

Reaction score
Got to have some base line criteria for this one. Yogi. DV. Eming. Who ever you like they all had there day in the sun. RJ.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a huge Carmichael fan. That kid could ride. I was hoping to see him transition over to stock cars better than he has but what the hey?

Didnt even know he was doing stock cars...lol He Raced the Amatuer Nationals +25 class at lorretta lynn this year and kicked ass. He was just having some fun,, I thought it was pretty cool and the fans loved it.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt even know he was doing stock cars...lol He Raced the Amatuer Nationals +25 class at lorretta lynn this year and kicked ass. He was just having some fun,, I thought it was pretty cool and the fans loved it.
He has done a bunch of truck and some Nationwide in the past but don't hear much about him now other than doing the Supercross broadcasts.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a McGrath fan through and through. Still the best rider of all time in my opinion with RC a very close second.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah out of all the old Moto X stars that tryed to go into other Motor sports Ie McGrath, Degan, Carey Hart ext, Travis Pastrana has done the best with it.

I think Travis Pastrana is the most Talented person to ever ride a Dirt bike,,He Didnt have the focus to be a Champion like Carmicheal or Villipoto.Made lots of money doing his own thing tho.

James Stewart's carreer really dissapointed me I followed him since his amatuer days. His first pro season at Vegas on a 125 he lapped the entire field. His lap times were as quick as Ricky's on his 250...Dont know what happened to him, think he let the succsess go to his head and he quit trying as hard. He could have been the greatest of all time.

Chad Reeds a Champ rider but had alot of hard compition against Carmicheal,Windham,Stewart, now Dungee and Villapoto, Milsap.

Show Time Mcgrath one of my Favorites for sure,,, Bob Hanna,, Abit before my time,, I know an old italian, thats son raced with him tho,Says he was "a very fast"...lol

I miss my Moto X days:(

Last edited:

Zien19

Reaction score
He has done a bunch of truck and some Nationwide in the past but don't hear much about him now other than doing the Supercross broadcasts.

Rch Racing is a joint effort between Heart and RC. No more H&H he is back as the team owner. Also working on a program from arena cross to supercross called Ricky's road to supercross.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to watch Supercross many years ago and remember the speed and and all out wildness of the riders.
Lost interest for a while and then started watching again around 2001 - couldn't believe how in control the riders were.
I remember the first time I saw RC do a big double into a corner and he landed with inside leg off the peg and ready to initiate the turn...I was gobsmacked!

They are like robots racing now. The only time you see anything resembling out-of-control is maybe a bobble in the whoops or getting a bit off line in the sand section.
Saw RC and McGrath race the last time together at SLC SX. RC then went onto to win so many including a couple of seasons where he won every race! Won on 3 different factory teams too.

Top Bottom