While it's tore appart

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are redoing the bearings/driveshaft in my 99 Powder Special 600efi. While The track is off, we figured we'd take the seat off and have it redone. Since the Gas tank is out of the way and the track is off can you think of anything that would be wise to do, or check while we have such great access?
Thanks again!:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
we are redoing the bearings/driveshaft in my 99 powder special 600efi. While the track is off, we figured we'd take the seat off and have it redone. Since the gas tank is out of the way and the track is off can you think of anything that would be wise to do, or check while we have such great access?
Thanks again!:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:beer:

check all the bearings in the skid wheels and replace as necessary, and check all the shafts and pivots etc, and replace the sliders on the rear skid while its out. It is also as good a time as any to use some good old elbow grease and polish and rags or mother's power ball and polish up the tunnel(while the seat is off). What about cleaning and service the clutches, and checking the brake pads?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how about the bearings on the bogey wheels? can you post some pics of your progress?

Cool, thanks so much guys. I have been taking lots of pictures of the process. I'll put some up right away. :d

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK. Here is night one. My husband was on nights so, thanks to directions from you guys, and a diagram from a guy out here, I proceeded to drop the track and get the drive shaft out.

Picture 2 is what I found.

leaving right now to pick up my new seat. wooo hooo, it's kind of purply blue!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK. Here is night one. My husband was on nights so, thanks to directions from you guys, and a diagram from a guy out here, I proceeded to drop the track and get the drive shaft out.

Picture 2 is what I found.

leaving right now to pick up my new seat. wooo hooo, it's kind of purply blue!

like summitric said. check all your bearings in the boogie wheels. your last pic suggests that you might want to pay a little more attention to the back end bearings. Not necessary to replace all the boggie bearing. pop the seals off wash the old grease out and chech for pitting or gauling. If the bearing looks good repack with grease and pop in the seals and good to go.

Now I know that there are going to be a lot of replies to this post askin who the hell do you repack a sealed bearing. trust me on this one. you can pop the seal out if you are very careful. You being a women you are probably already equiped for the job. Long finger nails. Me being a man I use a razor knife.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like summitric said. check all your bearings in the boogie wheels. your last pic suggests that you might want to pay a little more attention to the back end bearings. Not necessary to replace all the boggie bearing. pop the seals off wash the old grease out and chech for pitting or gauling. If the bearing looks good repack with grease and pop in the seals and good to go.

Now I know that there are going to be a lot of replies to this post askin who the hell do you repack a sealed bearing. trust me on this one. you can pop the seal out if you are very careful. You being a women you are probably already equiped for the job. Long finger nails. Me being a man I use a razor knife.

Thanks Pipes.:):d
Just about had a heart attack. I told the apholstery man not to staple too far in as the gas tank is a part of the seat. I even showed him where to staple! I'm not sure if it is because I am a woman or what but he didn't hear me. Just as we walked in to his shop he was just about to staple my gas tank! Ahhh.! Got it home and it seems to have no holes! keep our fingers crossed!

Sleddingdad

Reaction score
Wife is pretty excited. Greyhound phoned and her parts are in. Can't wait to get her sled back together. She'll be so excited, happy ,----- a really really big emotion. she loves it so much. I have to get my M7 back from her!!!!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the diagrams all you who have emailed, or sent them. Thanks for this one Eric!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summitric, Pipes and Posnic you guys were right about the bearings on the bogey wheels. Thanks to your tip Pipes, my husband popped off the seal and repacked the one that was crappy. My sliders were totally wore! Got the bearings and driveshaft in, Chaincase back together. Was a long, but good night. I will put up pictures tomorrow Posnic.
New seat is coming along. Shaved off the seat rest bump off the back to create a more flat seat. Apholstery guy did a great job, only thing is we needed to get into the rear seat compartment to bolt the seat down. This compartment no longer exists, so we need to figure a new way to put the seat on.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i see you got the axle in okay;). the rest of your stuff will be there by the week-end. as to the seat what you could try is putting on some heavy duty velcro strips down each side of the seat and you'll want the 2" wide stuff with major grip power. later, dusty.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much Dusty for everything. And thanks for understanding when I use the term "Thingy" . You're awesome!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We noticed that the sliders were very very worn. Switching them out and thanks to Dusty I will have a new set of Orange sliders coming for the weekend!

next Picture is one of the bearing with the cover taken off. My husband cleaned it out, repacked it and put the cover back on.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
we noticed that the sliders were very very worn. Switching them out and thanks to dusty i will have a new set of orange sliders coming for the weekend!

next picture is one of the bearing with the cover taken off. My husband cleaned it out, repacked it and put the cover back on.

hi: Be sure to pack the bearings full when re-using them.... I usually repack them full, with "low temperature" synthetic grease..... I pack them fuller than your picture shows..... So when i push the seals back in, grease squishes out, and then wipe the excess off............ That is the economical way to do bearings.....;)

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hi: Be sure to pack the bearings full when re-using them.... I usually repack them full, with "low temperature" synthetic grease..... I pack them fuller than your picture shows..... So when i push the seals back in, grease squishes out, and then wipe the excess off............ That is the economical way to do bearings.....;)

YOU MAYBE COULD HAVE SENT THE SKID RAILS FOR POWDER COATING TOO(WHATEVER COLOR YOU WANTED), BUT THAT IS A LOT MORE LABOUR INTENSIVE, BUT SURE DOES LOOK GOOD. YOU'VE DONE A GREAT JOB SO FAR, KEEP GOIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!;):d

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks summitric, he squished lots of grease in after the picture was taken. Kept squeezing and working it in untill it could take no more. :d:d We were so thankful for that tip.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The paint on my running boards has worn away. Is there any way for me to touch them up now, keeping in mind, we are doing this in a covered area outside with no heat. Thinking that may have to be a summer project.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like you are dooing an awsome job.seems like it never ends once you get started..hey once yer done..wanna doo my summit...lol:d:beer::beer:

Top Bottom