Which Truck?

martincc

Reaction score
I will be buying a 2008 Skidoo Summit X with a 163 track and need advice on which truck will be best for hauling it. I will be living downtown in a condo in calgary soon so size is important. I am idealy looking for a 1/2 extended cab or 4 door truck, dodge or ford or chev. I can't have a trailer or a deck, just need advice on which combo would be able to fit just the sled in the box. I've seen guys with sleds in the back and the tail gate up, hopefully I can find something to work. Thanks!

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll be hard pressed to fit a 163 in the box of any truck with tail gate up,especially in a quad cab truck boxes are getting pretty small now aday. i got 07 quad cab gmc and box only 5'3" my dodge is only 6'3". The pictures floating around here with peoples ideas on how to solve that problem though look around c this is your first post...lots of good ideas on this site with knowledgable ppl to walk you through on how to do it. good luck

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact Dusty at Sled n West/ Snowmobile recyclers in Dewinton.....he has a single IN BED sled rack that might be a option for you.....There is one in his showroom. Ramped too.
Dusty 403 850 5266

martincc

Reaction score
thanks for the replys. Any idea if an extended cab ford short box would work with the tailgate down? Do you have any info on the rack you mentioned snotrocket? (price, how it works?) I am brand new to this sport and trying to get set up!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Ok, it ain't no Ford...but my Chev Duramax quad cab has 82" box and 23" more with the tailgate down...105 inches total. My 151" Rev is hanging out past that by an additional 24"...yep, just measured it.

thanks for the replys. Any idea if an extended cab ford short box would work with the tailgate down? Do you have any info on the rack you mentioned snotrocket? (price, how it works?) I am brand new to this sport and trying to get set up!

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be best if you called Dusty or just went down there and had a look....I dont want to post wrong info....I can tell you it's a very well manufactured piece..........Dewinton is only 10 minutes out.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you'll want about 8' of length w the tailgate down, that'll leave the track over by 3'. I like the Chevs but I'm not real up to date on the gas trucks. Whatever you can find w the best warranty. Dodge I think is the hardest on fuel.

martincc

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I will hopefully be picking up the sled tomorrow. I currently have a 3500 chev ex cab with the long box so I will see how it fits in there. It is a company truck but I probably will not be staying in the field much longer so hopefully an ex-cab short box 1/2 ton will work out!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I will hopefully be picking up the sled tomorrow. I currently have a 3500 chev ex cab with the long box so I will see how it fits in there. It is a company truck but I probably will not be staying in the field much longer so hopefully an ex-cab short box 1/2 ton will work out!

Fords have the shortest box, but they look the nicest,, I got one. and my 2007 159 fits with gate down and a trailer hooked up.

I am also in the Car business here in Calgary so send me a pm or give me a call and I can help ya find a new truck at a great price, trucks are cheap right now. welcome to the site and we will see ya on the snow.:d
let me know

G

Guest1

This is what Sammy was speaking of...SLICK UNIT...Made by the Bakers. Not 100% sure of the price but I believe it is approx $1700.00.

As far as which truck...GOT FORD.

nytro mtx

Reaction score

Hey
I don,t know if they made one yet but there was talk of Marathon Sled Decks making a Tonneau Cover looking thing that was strong enough to carry one sled or quad. It would work great, light enough not to hurt fuel milage and you can lock stuff under it while sledding.
Call and ask for Jay Sales or Michelle production manager.
There number in Edmonton is 1-866-440-6800.
Great ppl to deal with, and they can custom anything.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom