which sport quad for me?

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about switching to a sport quad and unsure of what to go with.

I will say right now that i will not buy a Polaris. Their sport quad may be great but after my last experience I just wont buy another for a long time.

I would like to ride trails, I am kinda past the skeg/deep mud stage at the moment. Right now I am having fun with riding fast and putting on alot of miles in a day, but some mud is not a bad thing.

My budget puts me in something around '07.

So far I am leaning towards a Raptor, for the power and reliability, although do not have any experience with the Kawi and Honda sports.

One concern (and maybe it is a little petty) is that I am not a small guy, I am 6'1 215lbs and concerned that I would look huge on some 450's.

Any suggestions?? I am kinda getting lost between all the models to choose from.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a raptor 700 i have one and im the same size as you its a great quad and not many guys can keep up to it on the trails

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about the bombardier ds650? i dont have any experience with them but they are a mean looking machine.

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen one till you mentioned it, does look bad ass though!

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there all JUNK! so just pick a brand that you like.... it's easy... all the 450 are the same, the banshee is a banshee and anything bigger then a 450 will out last a 450.

Radagast

Reaction score
I ride a Raptor 700 and can't say anything bad about it, other than maybe the lack of clearance, but that's the sport quad world for you. Just gotta keep out of the deeper ruts.

bottlerocket

Reaction score
My vote is for a raptor. I can say that my 2005 660R will holeshot my buddies DS650 but comes around after 3 gear. The bomber is alot heavier to manuver though.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" 230. I ride a trx450er. I don't think you would have any problem on any of the 450's. If it's really a concern stay away from anything set up for MX or you'll feel like you're dragging your arse through the bumps. A longer steering stem or handle bar risers or taller bars are a easy way to add some room if you feel hunched over. Or a quad tech seat, they have alot of differnt cuts to their foam. Just my opinion.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I have been looking at some used ones and definately leaning towards the Raptor, there seems to be a lot for sale and at good prices for low hour units.

Another quick question...what year did the raptor move to fuel injection? I think FI would be the way to go if I can swing the bit extra cash.

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I have been looking at some used ones and definately leaning towards the Raptor, there seems to be a lot for sale and at good prices for low hour units.

Another quick question...what year did the raptor move to fuel injection? I think FI would be the way to go if I can swing the bit extra cash.

Hey Jay I have a great deal on a 700 raptor special edition 2008 pm me if your interested

Jim

jimmyjambo

Reaction score
DSC01327.jpg

popoman 500

Reaction score
im the same size as you and my ltr 450 is perfect i have a bar rizer and the bar hight is perfect. i own a ds 650 and a raptor 660 off the line and a mile down the road ive had it sice 08 its an 06 havent had a problem. i ride the trails at the lake and im allways ahead of my friends on there ds and raptor and yfz 450.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you don't want a polaris but..... The outlaw 450 and 525 both have KTM motors in them. So if the motor was concerning you then its all good with the KTM motor. They're awsome quads and you can get Indpendant rear suspension on them aswell. But theirs alot of Raptor 700's around, 450's spank the raptor though

popoman 500

Reaction score
I know you don't want a polaris but..... The outlaw 450 and 525 both have KTM motors in them. So if the motor was concerning you then its all good with the KTM motor. They're awsome quads and you can get Indpendant rear suspension on them aswell. But theirs alot of Raptor 700's around, 450's spank the raptor though
my next race quad will defenetly be a mxr great quad

Top Bottom