which one scrambler vs wolverine

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it will probably be spring before I start looking for a quad BUT
i am thinking of a sport 4x4, I have been thinking Scrambler 500 or Wolverine 450.
I would like to be able to play with the 2 wheel drives and then hit 4x4 and go though the mud with the 4x4's. Which quad do you think would work the best for me??

I can see it already guys are going to say GET A CAN AM, but no I just cant justify the difference in price for the same year quad.

I will NOT be buying new probably 03 to 06.

Any help?? Which one, considering, power, quality, how much mud will they go through, etc.:confused::confused::confused:

Please give reason for preferance otherwise it doesn't help

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wolverine, Scrambler and Renagade are all very different machines with there own niche. Other than the fact they are all 4X4 sport units, they are all very different. Your looking at used, so test ride a few; you'll know which one is right for you.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i have to agree with garryesse fit is a major part of it. take sport bikes the yamaha fits way different than the honda and so forth. if the bike is a right fit you will that much better of a rider

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the scrambler is nice and fast but when it comes time to 4x4 it is not the best as no low range,I had one and smoked the belt a few times not sure if the yamaha has low range or not. both are nice quads.

noob

Reaction score
I don't think you'll go wrong with either. does the wolverine come with independent rear suspension?? if so, that's a bonues over the scrambler. does it have a high and low gear(like mentioned above) the scrambler only has awd. the scrambler is a 500 as opposed to a 450(not a big deal. have a couple 400's in my group that keep right up with me on my 800 renegade in the techinal riding. on the flats I'll walk away from them.)

I had a scrambler and absolutley loved it. I sold it to buy a renegade that i could hook a plow up to, plus it's an 800. I know polaris doesnt' have the best track record for reliability, but if you do regular maintenance I don't think youll have problems. Yamaha has a great track record for reliability. hope that helps.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll go wrong with either. does the wolverine come with independent rear suspension?? if so, that's a bonues over the scrambler. does it have a high and low gear(like mentioned above) the scrambler only has awd. the scrambler is a 500 as opposed to a 450(not a big deal. have a couple 400's in my group that keep right up with me on my 800 renegade in the techinal riding. on the flats I'll walk away from them.)

I had a scrambler and absolutley loved it. I sold it to buy a renegade that i could hook a plow up to, plus it's an 800. I know polaris doesnt' have the best track record for reliability, but if you do regular maintenance I don't think youll have problems. Yamaha has a great track record for reliability. hope that helps.

mr noob! you crossed over to a good site i see! lol

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so which one stock :confused:will go through more mud and water? With the same tires on of course.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sracambler i had with a set of bear claws on it I had it up to the fenders in a river crossing.....belt housing had to be drained out after ,which is easy as they have drain plugs.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the scrambler belt slip when wet??
I had a friend with an old polaris that would slip bad if you jumped it into water (bad but not for long, just long enough to lose momentum and get stuck)

Is the wolverine a different drive? I know it has the same engine as te kodiak and I have rode one of those before and never had it slip in deep water??

Need info.

H.C.

Reaction score
I bought a 07 Wolverine 450 for a the wife, and I personally think it is gutless, and front end is to heavy to jump. It feels like you are sitting on the front wheels so when you ride it you get the feeling of going OTB when you do start slamming it around.

But she loves it because its not to big and its blue.

valourroad

Reaction score
I have a wolverine with pipe,clutch,k&n,25 inch tires. It's a good all around machine, not great at anything. It has a solid rear axle like the scrambler. You'll have to pick your lines in ruts like the scrambler. It's not quite as fast as the scrambler (I ride regularly with 2 scramblers) but it seems better in the mud. I regularly go deeper and get out of more. The front end is really heavy, no wheelies. No low range. I also ride with a 700 grizz and never get left behind. For a 4x4 it is light weight. It's fun to slide and probably the best quad i've riden on muddy trails(4x4,solid axle for sliding,weight). At St. Anthony's sand dunes it climbed just as high as the 700 grizz(weight diff) and handled better because of straight axle. Top end is 53mph on speedo. The major draw back it's power to pick up the front end and rear axle clearance (but it seems better than scrambler). Mine is super reliable and have not had any belt issues except when the mud went over the fenders. Anything below it seals awesome. Dont's buy a wolvy for a arm stretcher buy it for it's versatility. (I also owe a outlaw 500 irs so not just a yamaha fan). hope this helps.

wolverineguy

Reaction score
I have a wolverine 450 and have been really impressed with it. The reason i selected it over the scrambler are the following this is my personal opinion so no offence. The Rad is protected better on the wolverine the scramblers are easily plugged as i have noticed out and about on the trails. The yamaha also is a fair bit lighter as well it has a lower center of gravity so it side hills better. The cons are the lack of clearance and low range :mad:. The ride is nice it handles great and the price is right in my mind.

ciri

Reaction score
Hi I appear, my name is Ciri and writing from Spain, I have a 4x4 ATV Polaris Scrambler want to put a kit Aaen, but here in spain nobody knows the outcome giving, I have assembled this kit, I can inform, thank you very much

apologize for my English

Email. ciri100@yahoo.es

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think if it was me i think i would look at the yamaha, think you would pobaly have better reliablitiy out of the yamaha 4 stroke, vs the 2 stroke, and would have more bottom end power with the yammi...

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and the scramblers have more power then the yamaha it also has more play abillty imo. the only knock I have about the polaris is that it is chain driven as well so you dont have the clearnce in the rear,but a good set of skid plates and your good to go:d just hit it hard and hold on.

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
learn some ting new everyday i still thought they wear using there old school 2 stroke motor, but if your just worryed about the solid rear axel gettin hung up in rutts you could runn a axel paddel, not sure if the chain would stand up to that though.

Top Bottom