Which is better to turbo a four stroke or a two stroke.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 M1000 right now but i was thinking of a turbo. Now is a four stroke turbo more reliable then a 2 stroke turbo at the same boost? And how much more power will a apex make then my m1000 at the same boost?

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will never get the same HP out m1000 as you will the Apex on pump fuel.You can run the apex at 12 pounds of boost on premuim fuel.I have a RX-1 Alpine Turbo and I have put about 1900KM on with Boost and it been a turn key sled.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at same lbs of boost ur 1000 boosted will outclimb a 4 stroke.

12 lbs of boost 4 stroke pump fuel vs 12 lbs boost m1000 2 stroke... ur 2 stroke will mop him. u will have to run race fuel mind u.

Now correct me if im wrong... the 4 strokes can run much high boost pressures like 20+ lbs and run race fuel... then the 4 stroke will outclimb u... u can run ur 1000 up to 16-17 lbs boost if u want... gets dicey tho... 10-12 lbs boost and u'll run great on race gas.

i just boosted my 08 m8 boondocker race gas kit. i wish i woulda bought an m1000 last yr and then turbo it this yr... your m1000 will be a monster if u boosted it. Nothing will touch you if u run 12 lbs boost w/ race gas unless its a 4 stroke turbo running really really high boost.

thats all i know... im just getting into the boost as well so this is just all that i have heard from talking to guys who know more about boosted sleds than i do.

Auzz

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, what a can of worms you've opened...LOL

I think the question really is "What is better, and I'd like to own the sled for more than 500 miles" :d

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on what you like to do... a 4 stroke with boost and lots of light parts will be able to play in the trees....without a diet good luck lol.....a 2 stroke is light and can make lots of power with boost, but shortens its life more than a four stroke...so i think it all depends on how much you wanna spend and what you prefer to ride!!

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry i wasn't trying to come and out make it sound like the 2 strokes boosted will beat a 4 stroke boosted up the hill... not at all.

let me rephrase,

pump gas to pump gas the 4 stroke will have more hp, at the same time heavier. So i think ur 1000 boosted on pump gas... 6-7 lbs boost would be pretty similar straight up with a 4 stroke boosted, but in the trees your 1000 would be much easier to throw around obviously.

not going to lie tho... if ur boosting ur sled... u wanna be that guy who tapes it wide open and leaves the highest mark on the hill at the end of the day... if you don't want to do that... and you'd rather boondock all day, don't bother boosting, the lag will probably piss you off in the trees.

i like to do both... high mark and boondock so i said the hell with it... boost here i come.

jdog

Reaction score
I have a 08 M1000 right now but i was thinking of a turbo. Now is a four stroke turbo more reliable then a 2 stroke turbo at the same boost? And how much more power will a apex make then my m1000 at the same boost?

I was told that people were having proplems with m1000.They were blowing engines.Iwas talking to josh,dave at echo and they both sead that the m8s were good,problem free,but the m1000 was nuthing but problems.call and ask them.I my self had an m1000 and wonted a turbo,but no problems,and went 4stroke.I ran 18lb on my apex all year,18 trips to the mountains problem free.I turn the key and g0 ,no jeting or adding weight,and for boondoking i have never had a 2 stroke follow me throw the trees.when u have that much hp it is very easy to ride and throw around.SAVE MONEY AND PROBLEMS.KEEP IT OUT OF THE SHOP AND RIDE IT.GOT BOOST.:beer::beer:

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to boondock and high mark. The info is great though. Is the turbo lag that noticable? does it get annoying? I have never riden a turbo sled before. Thanks

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never ridden a boosted sled either... from what i've "heard" its noticable obviously but once ur on the throttle and have ur rpms up your fine... buddy had an m7 with boondocker race gas kit on it... says his is pretty laggy but the new 8's and 1000's are supposed to be way better... i guess i will have to wait and see.... if you haven't boosted by the time i get mine out the first time i will update you on the lag... glengine and mr coops are two good guys to ask on cat turbo's... they are well educated on this stuff as far as two strokes go... mr coops rides a cat boosted right now and glengine has ridden and built many boosted sleds... i'd pm them for more info if i were u. im just passing on what people have told me... better to get the words straight from the horses mouth right

I like to boondock and high mark. The info is great though. Is the turbo lag that noticable? does it get annoying? I have never riden a turbo sled before. Thanks

turbocat

Reaction score
Boosted 2 strokes with no intercooler have hardly any lag at all.Great 4 trees and highmarkin.expensive but worth it u wanna play u gotta pay!!!!

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummmm if it was me i would go with the 2 stroke. The 2 stoke is only about 2 times lighter then the 4 my dad has a RX1 and it is so heavy, well it is had to tell u guys about it unless i ride one.:rolleyes:
VOTE

2 over 4 stroke turbos

justin

yammy1320

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Deaner!
I'm not even gonna leave my opinion 'cause I think you pretty much already know:D

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This 2 stroke/4 stroke turbo fight has gone on for the last year...:rant: everybody has their opion.... you know what... if ya can afford it...GREAT..if ya love wrench..(2 stroke) ...GREAT....if ya love just turn key and go (4 stroke)... GREAT... but and the end of the day if ya love to ride no madder what it is.... WE'RE ALL HERE JUST BECAUSE WE LOVE TO RIDE..!!!!:d

So long story short ... it does not matter what we ride for sleds...how much boost we have...how much HP we have...how much track speed we have......its....HOW MUCH FUN WE HAD......:d

Anyways thats my 2cents on the thought....have a :beer: on me!!

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This 2 stroke/4 stroke turbo fight has gone on for the last year...:rant: everybody has their opion.... you know what... if ya can afford it...GREAT..if ya love wrench..(2 stroke) ...GREAT....if ya love just turn key and go (4 stroke)... GREAT... but and the end of the day if ya love to ride no madder what it is.... WE'RE ALL HERE JUST BECAUSE WE LOVE TO RIDE..!!!!:d

So long story short ... it does not matter what we ride for sleds...how much boost we have...how much HP we have...how much track speed we have......its....HOW MUCH FUN WE HAD......:d

Anyways thats my 2cents on the thought....have a :beer: on me!!

I agree with you scotford, the more fun the better!

but lets face it... there is and will always be that battle between polaris, cat, yammi, doo owners for which sleds are better, for what is better chev, dodge or ford, if 4 stroke boost or 2 stroke boost is better, who can go faster, who can climb higher, who can drink the most beer..... the list goes on, its just fun and games but thats all part of the fun... smack talk ur friends or boast about whatever you have... and then try ur hardest to back it up... the so called "arguing" going on will never end.

those are my two cents.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love the battels one of the funnest parts of the sport. Here is what I know, really like my Rear Mount Apex amazing power and they are turn key machines but they have lag. Have seen the two stroke cats performe and they work well when there running. Talked to a guy last year who was happy to get 6 rides out of a boosted two stroke!! If your wrenching skills are high and you don't mind rebuilding engines giver i'm sure it's fun. I like to ride not wrench my personal opinion is buy a front mount turbo like Alpine or CPR, great throttel response and are now turn key machines.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the sounds of it you don't really want to run huge boost numbers... is that correct? if you do want to run huge boost numbers then well... things are bound to go wrong no matter what stroke it is.... if your running low boost pressures... 6-7 lbs... which would keep you on pump fuel... u won't have a problem running a turbo on ur 1000... and like it was stated above... run a turbo with no intercooler... Mountain magic has a aerocharger set up with no intercooler... and u'll be laughing all the way to the top.

One of my friends that i went to school with my whole life has an M8 with the aerocharger turbo on it from Mountain Magic... the only problem he ever had with it was the ECU which is a non turbo problem... its a cat issue... i also have a buddy with a stock m1000 and he has had the same grief with no turbo...

since u already have the sled i would suggest going and visiting the boys from Mountain magic buy a turbo kit or get them to install which ever you prefer and head to the hills... either way you go... u won't be dissappointed.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i appriciate all the info. I still need time to think about it but now i have alot more info to make my decision. Thanks again.

Top Bottom