Where do you get a pass?

t333s

Reaction score
Since you brought this up.
It's appreciated to a point, But his dictatorship over the CLUB OWNED groomer caused a number of longtime members(Great Volunteers in their own right) to start a new club and other members to be not to be with any club.
They tried to work it out to no avail.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Who else is going to spend countless hour fixing it, making sure it works properly fixing the truck storing it on his personal land are you going to? How many hours did you put in building the new cabin? My guess is zero so! And you are that ignorant to say it's appreciated to a point you and the other people that have all these volunteer hours go start your own club don't ride coal creek don't use the cabin you didn't help build don't associate yourself with the great volunteers In the community, and for the comment about the red plates if those red plates never came to fernie your towns economic value would severely suffer!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the truth is starting to come out, someone thinks they see a real easy job, that will pay. only there is already an operator in place. how to get said coveted job. #1( too slow) volunteer to service groomer, be a backup driver. or #2 (very devious) beotch an complain, make as much controversy as possible, discredit those that are involved.

eventually get some smuck to listen to the complaints, maybe get the now paying job as groomer, run the groomer for a month or two, get bored, or fawk something up and then quit or run. now no groomer or groomie. may be a reason why present groomie is doing the job, a wage is probably a bonus for the beotching they endure all year. usually best to keep the status quo as the say.

Fan960

Reaction score
WOW, you really seem to focus on the red and white plates, I can only imagine what the economic impact would be on Fernie and surrounding areas without Albertans!!!

So by a trail pass and enjoy…………….

Jvl

Reaction score
The topic of red plates is an issue in Fernie. And yes the economy would suffer around here without them and I don't want to see that either, of course. The problem is that people, clubs and businesses in fernie sometimes get locked in on pleasing the tourists and forget about the people that live here who don't want to be gouged. I'm worried about what Fernie might look like if the community itself gets lost in all this. We've seen how many schools close already because average people can't afford to live here and young families have a hard time starting off here. I think the tourism industry does really well here already, with the way the population doubles over the winter. I just really don't want to see the actual community decline further, which is what I'm trying to say with my comments on red plates.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The topic of red plates is an issue in Fernie. And yes the economy would suffer around here without them and I don't want to see that either, of course. The problem is that people, clubs and businesses in fernie sometimes get locked in on pleasing the tourists and forget about the people that live here who don't want to be gouged. I'm worried about what Fernie might look like if the community itself gets lost in all this. We've seen how many schools close already because average people can't afford to live here and young families have a hard time starting off here. I think the tourism industry does really well here already, with the way the population doubles over the winter. I just really don't want to see the actual community decline further, which is what I'm trying to say with my comments on red plates.

You understand that the local communities started to decline when the Largest employment industry went 4x4. Tourism and clubs promoting tourism have slowed the decline and also reversed it in many ways.

Jvl

Reaction score
Tourism may have slowed the decline short term, but how does a community thrive when nearly half the houses sit empty in the summer and business struggle to keep good workers. I could go on about this for ever. I guess what I'm saying is that the albertans will come regardless a groomed trail or not and they do. Look at all the people that came before the grooming started this year. Also don't get me wrong fernie needs the red plates now, because of the path fernie has chosen with tourism.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe something needs to be done to improve tourism in the summer. Maybe it helped that Whistler started out as a tourism destination for fishing before it became a ski destination, but still, Whistler was a small town that relied on tourism, and eventually became what it is today.

Jvl

Reaction score
Maybe we should improve tourism in the summer to become another whistler. but I left whistler to be able to raise a family in a place that I could afford. And for all the young families that moved out of fernie for better jobs might not agree with you.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't saying that Fernie should be another Whistler, it just won't be, ever. I was just saying that Fernie is a tourism town. It hasn't always been that, but that is the way it's going. You can't blame people for owning a second home and only using it half the year. Until Fernie gets some other sort of industry it will be a tourism town. There is Lumber and Mining in the vicinity, so there are jobs there. However; if Fernie wants to thrive on tourism, then it needs a summer draw to keep those houses full the entire year, but with increased tourism is going to come increased cost of living.

Jvl

Reaction score
Yes I guess we're saying the samething in a way. We all know that Fernie needs Alberta and Alberta wants to spend time in fernie. The thing is that this club in the past has forgotten about the locals and the whole area around Fernie it feels at times. I also want people to know that I know the this club does good things around town as well. I heard that they lent the groomer to the Nordic club when there groomer was down. But I still would not want to be a member of the club, I was just asking for a seasons trail pass to help pay for my share of the grooming that I use. So far I have been paying for daily trail passes if there's someone there to collect. But I'm sure once Alberta leaves after the holidays they won't be there.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've actually brought up one issue that DOES concern me, and one that MIGHT concern me if I knew more about the club.

Any club having more than one area under a management agreement of any kind does concern me, especially if they can't maintain a proper grooming program on an area for whatever reason yet collect trail passes anyway. In Cranbrook we have only one...Lumberton. That leaves lots of areas for people to ride bumps for free, and I believe that choice needs to be there. I myself am active in the club but rarely ride Lumberton by personal choice. The club doesn't just focus on Lumberton though. We fought hard to keep Perry Creek, Lamb Creek, and the St. Marys valley open to sleds against strong opposition from the Caribou preservationists. We even successully fought for winter access in Englishman Creek close to Yahk even though I doubt anyone is likely to ever ride there.

The issue that MIGHT concern me is payed groomer operators. Ours have never been payed, and we do quite a bit of grooming. We've never had any trouble getting volunteers to run our cat. Getting volunteers to collect trail passes is much more difficult. I say MIGHT concern me because I don't know the specifics around Fernie's grooming program, so I can't make an informed decision.

Last edited:

Jvl

Reaction score
I know very little about the grooming program but I do know that they get paid for it or used to. I think that they don't like to let others drive it unless your a part of their "little boys club" I heard. There used to be something also about having to have two people in the cat but I'm not sure if that is still happening. Here's another question, if I ride Hartley, part of the club's area that they don't groom do they expect me to pay for a trail pass? Another thing, have you heard that gear hub is selling passes again because last time I was in there, they weren't because of all the drama about the other club starting up.

trailblazer

Reaction score
Interesting...every province ,especially BC is jealous of Albertans. That is pretty much all I got from this entire post.You don't want to join the club sinse they groom for Albertans.WTF...?Typically small minded and pouty by another left coaster.You did say you left Whistler for Frrnie right?....Friggin' princess.Why didn't you move to Terrace or Anaheim Lake if you don't like Red Plates? Oh the economy sucks you say,no doubt and instead of whining you ought to be grateful that we Albertans willfully subsidies your current lifestyle. You're welcome

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Jvl have you ever be asked to pay a trail pass for Hartley? No you haven't. As for the little boys club you speak of the concern in my opinion Is that there are a select few people that are qualified to run the snowcat and drive the truck an trailer because its a oversized load! So If you wanna pay your way for the trail pass buy a membership and ignore the emails they send out, and if your worried about your buddy's finding out you are a member of Fsa keep your sticker in your truck and show it to the nice ladies at the trail head when you pull up! Problem solved. And as for the ladies standing at the trail head , the azzclowns that drive right buy them c'mon guys it $10.00 grow up a little!

Jvl

Reaction score
First of all, I said I was paying the $10.00 if the lady is there and no I haven't been asked to pay at Hartley in a few years but it is part of the club's zone. My point is that the club won't be there unless there's money to be made, not the fact that the area is in jeopardy of being lost. The other fact is that if they don't use the area, another club can take it from them. To trailblazer, thanks for your presence, without you here, how could fernie go on? And, I wasn't complaining so much about albertans themselves, I was complaining about how this club kisses your ass.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
I never said you wernt but there are a select few that don't, and why don't someone such as yourself suggest maybe grooming Hartley creek but is there enough traffic through there, also what is the avalanche conditions there? I don't ride alot there I ride Harvey, coal creek and maclatchie. I would like to learn more about that area but as of now I am very uneducated in that areas.

trailblazer

Reaction score
It's called Market Share.It seems from some posts,that the Red Plates willfully and happily pay the club fees and trail fees and the locals whine about it.So it seems to me,if it's true they kiss our buts(which i don't belive as everyone can use the infrustructure)they'd be wise to.Howvever,if you want your arse kissed,i would suggest partaking in club memberships,events and especially helping build and maintain the infrustructure.Perhaps the more locals partaking and raising funds would get you more appreciation instead of complaining about the hard working peeps that keep the club runnin, and the folks that pay to keep it running.You complain about not being appreciated but then complain about fees and not wanting to be a club member,wise move and completely contradictory.Wise up....

Jvl

Reaction score
Well trail blazer the albertans pay and that's good and I'm am willing to pay every time there collecting but their are many people that don't and some don't, on the reasons that they don't like the direction the club is going. So they have started a new club and devided the #s of members which is the reason people are getting so mad about this topic. The fsa needs members so they can get funding and continue on the same path and like I've said in the past I don't want to be a member of this club (or the other club) but I feel we should pay for our use not for the direction the fsa is going.

Top Bottom