Where do you get a pass?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reasonable Idea

FSA deduct the BCSF and insurance Fee from club $80.00 membership. Having Yearly Trail pass at $50.00-$60.00 and $10.00 day pass. That way sledders who want to join FSA will join the people they want to associate with and there events.The others can join what ever club they choose, or none at all. But All paying into the Grooming. You probably would get more people to pay that normally wouldn't

i seriously doubt it, way less hassle way less drama, pay yer $80 and don't participate in meetings or anything else. cheap grooming and easy peasy. unless you have other motives?

Jvl

Reaction score
Look I don't like clubs in general for reasons I said in the past posts and to pick on t333s for being cheap or member of other clubs is silly. In your posts you are trying to convince me that clubs are the way to go to fight for your sport. Which in that case he might be trying to help snowmobiling the same way you are yet because he doesn't want to be a part of your club then he must be an enemy. I don't want to convince someone to be a part of any club but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to be a part of the fsa. The thing that put me over the top with the list of things that the fsa did was a story I heard that when they had volunteers help with building a parking lot, someone asked the club to put up a sign to thank the volunteers and sponsors, they were told they would have to pay for their own sign. Telling people to buy your own thank you card seems cheap to me.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look I don't like clubs in general for reasons I said in the past posts and to pick on t333s for being cheap or member of other clubs is silly. In your posts you are trying to convince me that clubs are the way to go to fight for your sport. Which in that case he might be trying to help snowmobiling the same way you are yet because he doesn't want to be a part of your club then he must be an enemy. I don't want to convince someone to be a part of any club but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to be a part of the fsa. The thing that put me over the top with the list of things that the fsa did was a story I heard that when they had volunteers help with building a parking lot, someone asked the club to put up a sign to thank the volunteers and sponsors, they were told they would have to pay for their own sign. Telling people to buy your own thank you card seems cheap to me.
So what I get here is that you have an issue with the fsa, regardless there is an old saying""never believe everything you hear and only half of what you see".
Don't know about the sign story but before you get bent out of shape over something find out if it happened.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A little childish to volunteer and do a good deed and then need public recognition for it imo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"to pick on t333s for being cheap or member of other clubs is silly" I thought you two were the same people just different user ID's!! Go sledding or something!

t333s

Reaction score
Well we are not the same,Sc800. Maybe FSA members do this to control there little boys club on Snow and Mud.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Here you go fellas for the people that complain about the $80.00 how far does it really go!!!!

PURCHASE PRICES:
Break down our Bombardier BR180 Groomer/Drag operations
BR180/mogaul master drag Purchase Price $85,000.00
5Th Wheel trailer for groomer $11,000.00
Misc equipment $4,000.00
Groomer package $100,000.00

OPERATIONS:
FUEL:
It generaly takes us 24 hours to groom 200km (102km both directions) and uses around 400ltrs ($400.00 fuel)

That is the easy part to calculate fuel the had part is repairs and maintenance

MAINTENANCE COSTS per season:
Hauling to and from the staging areas, repairs / servicing = $1000.00
Basic oil change, 2 fuel filters, Air filter = $400.00
Greaseing the groomer & drags some 30 nipples - 4 tubes of grease per season = $50.00
As our trail system has rocks on the shore lines we tend to break track cleats which are $75.00 each by 4 per season = $300.00
one hydrolic hose replaced per season = $150.00

BASIC SEASONAL COSTS:
If you were to take a rough estimate at 4 complete grooming per season we would see about.
FUEL - 4 groomings (200km) X $400.00 = $1,600.00
Mainteance for the season (No accidents / surprises) = 1,900.00
So about $3,500.00 for season

BUT it will always be the accident / surprise that breaks the bank and one you can not truely budget for....
Hydostatic pumps/drive motors - $10,000.00each
Diesel engine - $10,000.00
Computer - $5,000.00
Track belting - $2,000.00
Etc. Etc.

turbofarmer

Reaction score
Well put, most people dont realize what it cost to operate big equip. Also two maintained warm up cabins with wood and bbq's. Who ever complains about paying for a trail pass should stay at home and stare at there $15000 sled and $50000 truck in there driveway.

t333s

Reaction score
You forgot the Cost of the volunteer operators $25/HR X 8Hrs X 3times a week(New Schedule) X 12/wks= $7200.00. Great Volunteer Wages I'd Say.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You forgot the Cost of the volunteer operators $25/HR X 8Hrs X 3times a week(New Schedule) X 12/wks= $7200.00. Great Volunteer Wages I'd Say.

Well you could offer to groom all night for free and then work your real job the next day if you'd like?

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com

If it pays so well why don't you do it? Then you would have the extra money sitting around to be able to buy a trail pass or you could really go crazy and get a full year pass!!!!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wondering if jvl and t333s last name may be Wiegel and don`t want their names associated with organized snowmobiling. Maybe their names are to sensitive to be seen on a membership form. Fernie must have some important people living there seeing as its a ski town. Just trying to understand why they have issues getting their name on a membership list.
Please work this out. Its getting painfull to read.
This topic about change jvl and T333 can only be dealt with at a official club meeting as members of the club as a motion to look at membership structure in a non-named membership. BUT to do this you need to first become a member. You said that it could get more members in the future so it would be a benifit to the club to do this. Can you please join get involved and ask for changes to be made. if this happens next year or when changes get made next time join under the new membership program and don`t put your name down. You will be nameless again as you are asking for now. May take a couple of years working on the membership to see these changes. hey you may even want to remain a named member after you get involved and see how much fun it can be to be a part of something you really care about.
Just a suggestion to a possible solution.
All of us here on Snow and Mud can`t do diddle squat about your membership issues. YOU need to bring it up to the club to see the need and benifit to change the membership. Its now up to YOU two jvl and T333.

Last edited:

Jvl

Reaction score
Ok I thought I would let this isue rest at 10 pages in, things get lost and the samething is said over and over. at the being I was just asking for a yearly trial pass so I would not have to become a member.my reasons for not becoming a member may not make sents to you, but this is the jist. I feel clubs fight for areas they want and forget about the ones the they don't, maybe because of money or because of easy access or something else. But it's not just sled clubs I don't join. Which I understand doesn't help the cause that I would like to fight for. It's just that when there stuck focused on one area they do very little to fight off other clubs or things that take away other areas of intrest, sometimes even making deals or excuses so they can focus on there spot. (Tunnel or Hartley) here is something that's happening around fernie that you may or may not know is that the mountain bike club is grabbing up areas like hot cakes under the srmp. and not letting motorized vehicles in areas that they have been for a long time before the bike club. Now I don't want to pick on the hunters but there not ether seeing it or they just don't care and travel in the areas with their atv's anyways. I have herd of a few arguments up on Martin ridge where the bikers have claimed a trail called porky blue. And if the hunters don't do anything about it that it really is going to be closed to them. Now I know how are they ever going to keep it open with out a club to fight for this area well I don't know. But I will tell you that the mountain bike club is focused in on it and will fight for it with the hunters preoccupied on other areas. And this is how I feel about clubs they don't fight for the bigger picture, it seems for reasons like the fsa only really focusing on coal creek for the bottom line, mind you I know grooming cost a lot so this is why I would like to pay and, have payed in the past and also became a member. But as closed mined about my reasons about clubs I think the fsa "little boys club" is too. So ideas are lost to raking it in on weekends.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I thought I would let this isue rest at 10 pages in, things get lost and the samething is said over and over. at the being I was just asking for a yearly trial pass so I would not have to become a member.my reasons for not becoming a member may not make sents to you, but this is the jist. I feel clubs fight for areas they want and forget about the ones the they don't, maybe because of money or because of easy access or something else. But it's not just sled clubs I don't join. Which I understand doesn't help the cause that I would like to fight for. It's just that when there stuck focused on one area they do very little to fight off other clubs or things that take away other areas of intrest, sometimes even making deals or excuses so they can focus on there spot. (Tunnel or Hartley) here is something that's happening around fernie that you may or may not know is that the mountain bike club is grabbing up areas like hot cakes under the srmp. and not letting motorized vehicles in areas that they have been for a long time before the bike club. Now I don't want to pick on the hunters but there not ether seeing it or they just don't care and travel in the areas with their atv's anyways. I have herd of a few arguments up on Martin ridge where the bikers have claimed a trail called porky blue. And if the hunters don't do anything about it that it really is going to be closed to them. Now I know how are they ever going to keep it open with out a club to fight for this area well I don't know. But I will tell you that the mountain bike club is focused in on it and will fight for it with the hunters preoccupied on other areas. And this is how I feel about clubs they don't fight for the bigger picture, it seems for reasons like the fsa only really focusing on coal creek for the bottom line, mind you I know grooming cost a lot so this is why I would like to pay and, have payed in the past and also became a member. But as closed mined about my reasons about clubs I think the fsa "little boys club" is too. So ideas are lost to raking it in on weekends.
You make a genuine point in as much as the clubs focus on their areas. But now consider how much time is spent just to keep hold of that area by too few volunteers never mind trying to fight for areas that are out of their control. That is part of the reason we keep saying "Get Involved" All clubs can use more people volunteering and who knows what a fresh perspective can do, maybe those of us that have been doing this for years are getting a little tunnel vision.

Jvl

Reaction score
Yes catinthehat thanks for being understanding. I do agree that volunteering will help. snowmobiling in this area needs local support, the problem with this club in particular is that the tunnel vision is stuck on making money from red plates so they can show how well they're doing. Maybe the reason for the new club is people are trying to get their point across and have their opinion heard. But I just hope they also can see the big picture if they go forward. And to answer the statement "never mind trying to fight for areas that are out of our control" well the fsa has control of Hartley creek and because they don't groom it (lack of profit) they could loose it. I know that Doug said that it costs money for avalanche control but it still an area that is in jeopardy to be lost.

t333s

Reaction score
It's obvious you haven't been to there one sided meetings.
Still trying to change from within.
The word volunteer has change over the years, seems getting paid is part of it now.That used to be a job. Club might offer groomer to someone who need to feed a family, at a higher rate than Canadian Tire or Alpine Resort Job.

BTW. The Harvey was great on my M8 yesterday.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Ask the guy that does the maintenance on the snowcat, stores the snowcat, does all the service on the truck and trailer goes and picks the snowcat up at whatever time of night they are done how much he gets paid! So unless your going to volunteer your time like some individuals do, stop talking buy your trail pass and enjoy what all love to do and some people are not able to do!

Top Bottom