Where are all the long-tracked Viper turbos?

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you would appreciate the throttle response. They are wippy.
I'm going to try and get a demo day together so people can ride our Vipers and our Pro. If I give enough notice then maybe the people who have to travel quite a ways can make it.

That would be interesting I've built a handful of Doo 1200's, compressed and decompressed and I keep coming back to the stock compression lower boost kits. They are more responsive and work just a little better for how I ride. I'll keep my eyes open and see if you are putting a demo day on.

stormrider69

Reaction score
Why not have the best of both worlds, a boost it pro and a boost it viper? I am half way their with the pro, just need some seat time on the turbo viper to make a final decision!!

Am in north quebec, low elevation 1800-3500, Stock pro with kmod is doing great, i just miss the power delivery of a 4 stroke, the sound and the torque. Its only tight spot here. Stock turbo nytro here isnt doing great. When i will be back in 4-stroke, sure the sled need to ride like those in the video, No lag and precise handling.

Still have a Nypex without boost, let say it lack go forward motivation when climbing , damn weight ;)

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the weight of my 174 viper but I also don't care.... Once I rode the Boost-It proto viper last year I was sold on how easy the chassis handled in tight areas..... Night & day difference compared to a built Nytro (handling).......Not even in the same class as a Cat 1100 turbo running 25lbs boost!....lol sorry cat guys

Thats an unfair comparison... Everyone knows a stock 1100 cat with a boondocker hijacker to run more boost is still very lazy and unresponsive. You can't compare a 14,000$ sled with 18,000$ in boost it upgrades to an unspecified, probably stock, 1100 cat running unknown boost levels... I am willing to bet that if you took a 1100 cat, went track for track, length for length, and an Evo super chute or big chute kit, you wouldn't be so quick to wave your boost it flag around all the time. Not trying to start anything, but if you're gonna compare sleds, do it apples to apples. theres nothing wrong with an 1100 cat engine other then it sounds like my grandfathers skidder...

With that aside... Gotta say... That wrap is awesome. Nice job on the build NM as always. Sleds look like they are performing well.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats an unfair comparison... Everyone knows a stock 1100 cat with a boondocker hijacker to run more boost is still very lazy and unresponsive. You can't compare a 14,000$ sled with 18,000$ in boost it upgrades to an unspecified, probably stock, 1100 cat running unknown boost levels... I am willing to bet that if you took a 1100 cat, went track for track, length for length, and an Evo super chute or big chute kit, you wouldn't be so quick to wave your boost it flag around all the time. Not trying to start anything, but if you're gonna compare sleds, do it apples to apples. theres nothing wrong with an 1100 cat engine other then it sounds like my grandfathers skidder...

With that aside... Gotta say... That wrap is awesome. Nice job on the build NM as always. Sleds look like they are performing well.

they have been around & rode with those sleds,thats where the comments come from,there is a bunch of them around revy,the motor is the diff the 1100 is a low revving 2 cylinder the 1050 is a high revving 3 cylinder & works way better with boost.if you have been on both you would know what i mean,totally diff power,i have rode both & nothing wrong with the 1100 but if you rode both back to back you would pick the 1050 tripple.:beer:

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Reaction score
Have built numerous Big Chute EVO 1100's and even had one. Also done numerous Nytro's, Apex's and Vipers on boost. Hard to beat throttle response on the EVO BC Cat but it falls off quickly. For a snotty turbo sled and playing around, wheelies, riding trees etc, average climbs. They are awesome. Does not compete with a Boosted Yammi on top end power or for climbing. Have not had a chance to try a new Boost-it Viper though, interested to see how responsive it is compared to EVO Big Chute. But I know it will kill a BC kit on top end power and track speed. - Cody

JustBoostIt

Reaction score
Website
www.whiteknucklemotorsports.ca
Have built numerous Big Chute EVO 1100's and even had one. Also done numerous Nytro's, Apex's and Vipers on boost. Hard to beat throttle response on the EVO BC Cat but it falls off quickly. For a snotty turbo sled and playing around, wheelies, riding trees etc, average climbs. They are awesome. Does not compete with a Boosted Yammi on top end power or for climbing. Have not had a chance to try a new Boost-it Viper though, interested to see how responsive it is compared to EVO Big Chute. But I know it will kill a BC kit on top end power and track speed. - Cody

I hope it would be better all around really, in all fairness we are talking about a $3300 BC kit, call it $4500 with accessories. Its not really apples to apples costwise. There is no beating that value for guys that can't spend 30+ on a 4s sled build. That is a factory turbo with a recartridge. The BC kit is very responsive for sure. Everyone says that. I have multiple buddies that ride BC kits with 270 nitro kits in the same group. Hp is hp. I'm not sure what the point is comparing boost numbers. Anyone that has decent seat time on the SC kit knows that as good as the spool is on the BC kit the SC is in another league. Ball bearing Tial is not a journal stock turbo. Boost starts around 5900 rpm on a BC kit, the SC is already at 8lbs, and it starts 1000 rpm sooner. When you gonna make it a fair fight Cody haha. Not sure how many have time on a Super Chute kit.

No hate here, rode Yami for 4 years, still have a little blue in the blood.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
I hope it would be better all around really, in all fairness we are talking about a $3300 BC kit, call it $4500 with accessories. Its not really apples to apples costwise. There is no beating that value for guys that can't spend 30+ on a 4s sled build. That is a factory turbo with a recartridge. The BC kit is very responsive for sure. Everyone says that. I have multiple buddies that ride BC kits with 270 nitro kits in the same group. Hp is hp. I'm not sure what the point is comparing boost numbers. Anyone that has decent seat time on the SC kit knows that as good as the spool is on the BC kit the SC is in another league. Ball bearing Tial is not a journal stock turbo. Boost starts around 5900 rpm on a BC kit, the SC is already at 8lbs, and it starts 1000 rpm sooner. When you gonna make it a fair fight Cody haha. Not sure how many have time on a Super Chute kit.

No hate here, rode Yami for 4 years, still have a little blue in the blood.
Nobody actually wants to run more boost. If people had the choice to run less boost for more power, of course they would do it. There are plenty of benefits. Cooler charge temps, less wear and tear on engine parts, less octane required, more manageable power curve, easier to clutch, etc.
the biggest issue with the little turbos that Cat uses is that they go way out of their efficiency range once boost is increased, and the higher the elevation, the bigger problem. The pressure ratio on a turbo map goes way up as elevation goes up.

I know a few guys with over 30k in their 1100 cats and there is no way they would run with our Vipers at 12 lbs boost. You could build a 162 Viper with our kit for just over 20k and it's probably 20-30 lbs lighter than a Cat.

My Garrett dealer tells me there is no performance advantage from a Tial housing unless you are making over a true 400 hp. It doesn't rust like a conventional Garrett turbine housing, but I would take that for less complexity from an external wastegate, and of course less money.

You are welcome to come riding with us anytime if you would like to check the Vipers out.

Nytrous

Reaction score
Just a question, where is the 20-30lb weight difference between the 1100 turbo and the viper turbo?

Nytrous

Reaction score
Id like to see the two engines on a scale, I call bullsh** on a 30lb weight difference.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for comparison purposes, what does the average 800 nowadays weigh?

Nytrous

Reaction score
Sorry for being picky, and I would agree that the viper/nytro motor would build better power on top end than the 1100, and the 1100 more bottom end grunt, but I can't see the 1100 being that much heavier. I would believe 5-10lbs maybe if not a wash( motor to motor, no turbo). But 20-30lbs... I'm not so sure.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Sorry for being picky, and I would agree that the viper/nytro motor would build better power on top end than the 1100, and the 1100 more bottom end grunt, but I can't see the 1100 being that much heavier. I would believe 5-10lbs maybe if not a wash( motor to motor, no turbo). But 20-30lbs... I'm not so sure.
I can only tell you that I can pick up a Nytro motor and carry it across the shop. We pulled a brand new motor out of an 1100 with a hoist and set it on a cart. I tried to lift it and could barely move it, so I think it had to be at least 20 lbs more. A better comparison would be sled to sled. I have a 162 Viper here with a turbo kit on it. I will see if I can get it on a scale with it full of fuel ready to ride.

JustBoostIt

Reaction score
Website
www.whiteknucklemotorsports.ca
Agreed. Less boost is is easier for a lot of reasons, but most guys are really only interested in hp. Not many get too far past that. As far as the little Cat turbo I also agree. Hell I've been re-educating Cat customers at my dealership for 3 years about how their flatland tuners promise 270hp anywhere, at any elevation, with a stock turbo. Yeeesh it's an uphill battle sometimes. The stocker is a 43mm, the BC is a 65 so not really considered small, but obviously not a full aftermarket turbo either.

Weightwise the viper should be 25-28lbs lighter just because of the motor so that is true. I will be interested to see how the Evo kit performs on the 7000. I brought one in just to build. They have had tuning done on that motor for quite a while. Reflashed ECU and larger injectors so no extra boxes or injectors just like their kits on the 1100.

We have a house in Vale so we don't come that way very often but I would like to throw a leg over a boost it viper sometime. You do some very nice work and have a great reputation with Yami product.

A stock out of the box 2012 162 1100 ltd was 671 rtr, they are a couple lbs lighter in '14. A 2012 162 800 ltd was 575 rtr, they have dropped quite a few lbs since that thou.

There has been next to no interest in Cat 7000's, but Cat guys have had that chassis for 3 years, so I guess for a Yami guy the Nitro handling is not close and they are pumped for that.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are we saying that a boosted nitro is at 630 to 640lbs, and the vipers are 20 to 30 lbs less ..... So a viper boosted is still over the 600 lbs?

have we not gone down that path before...

did they build a big enough fuel tank, or does the viper still need a Jerry can stuck to it... Yamaha way to drop weight

Top Bottom